Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-13-2009, 7:51 AM Reply   
I cleaned my boat interior with this stuff a week ago. I thought that I had read it worked great. I did a little search and found that you are not supposed to use it because it will ruin your stitching. So my question is, will one use of this tear up my interior, or is it from prolonged use?
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-13-2009, 7:59 AM Reply   
I use simple green to clean very heavy grease off of grills and auto engines. Works quite well for that purpose. Never would use it on my interior!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-13-2009, 8:34 AM Reply   
Well, it sure made it white!
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-13-2009, 8:36 AM Reply   
I won't use simple green because it makes everything smell like black licorice.

Best thing for cleaning vinyl I have found is Mr. Clean magic eraser

Prolonged use will deteriorate the stiching, a one time use should be fine

(Message edited by skibum*69 on July 13, 2009)
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-13-2009, 8:49 AM Reply   
Definitely be careful with products like Simple Green around the stitching in your interior. It won't do anything right away but will cause the stitching to fail sooner than later.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-13-2009, 8:52 AM Reply   
Exquisite is what you need to try. I have tried a lot of products and nothing comes close to it. Its cheap and very effective.
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-13-2009, 8:52 AM Reply   
Probably depends on how you diluted the Simple green, but one use should be OK. I'd give it a good rinse and then use something like Exsquisite, Seat Soap, 303, etc. Magic erasers are abrasives and will eventually remove vinyl top coating, so stay away unless nothing else will work to remove a stain.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-13-2009, 8:57 AM Reply   
i heard the magic eraser is bad for your seats, and it takes all the UV protect you apply on it.

babes seat soap and their protect works great!
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-13-2009, 9:08 AM Reply   
2nd for Exquisite
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-13-2009, 9:13 AM Reply   
I don't usually use it. As I said, I was out of the cleaner I bought at the dealership, and needed something quick. I make sure I get it soaked down in 303 before I take it out again.

Thanks!
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-13-2009, 9:56 AM Reply   
3rd for Equisite! It is two products in one. A cleaner and conditioner!! saves me 50% in my opinion. Used to buy a cleaner($20), and a bottle of 303($20). Now I just need one product.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-13-2009, 10:01 AM Reply   
Every time you use a magic eraser it removes a little tiny bit of the vinyl. Don't believe it? Get a colored vinyl scrap and try it, you not only see color on it but the texture of the vinyl will slowly disappear after repeated uses. I found this out on a previous boat after somebody suggested it a few years ago. I only use one if nothing else will remove a stain or the sun won't fade it. Otherwise it's Babe's Seat Soap and a nylon brush then Seat Saver.
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-13-2009, 11:10 AM Reply   
I have also used Exquisite and it really does work!
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-13-2009, 11:29 AM Reply   
Inused simple green for YEARS on our old boat. It was an 88, we got it in 97 and we sold it in 2005. Interior looked as new as an 18 yr old int could look. No issues with stiching etc.

My monthly procedure was Simple Green followed by 303.

SG is biodegradable as well.
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-13-2009, 2:34 PM Reply   
Just bought some Exquisite a couple weeks ago and the stuff is the bomb!
Old     (aaudii5150)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-13-2009, 3:16 PM Reply   
Where do you find this Exquisite?
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-13-2009, 8:09 PM Reply   
Never hear of Exqisite, but alway looking for something better. It would be nice to find a good cleaner/protector in one. I just haven't found one that cleans very well. I should have stated above what other people said about only using magic eraser on very tough spots.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-13-2009, 8:54 PM Reply   
We use Fantastik. It's super-mild kitchen cleaner, and was recommended by a few dealerships. We have been using it for three seasons almost everyday, with great results.
Old     (justsan)      Join Date: May 2009       07-13-2009, 10:18 PM Reply   
...a 3:1 simple green solution was recommended to me by several detailers to use on vinyl (some said use a green scotchbrite pad, others said white)..I have used both and couldn't tell a difference. It works really well; HOWEVER, Exquisite works better for removing stains, and leaves the vinyl feeling super soft. Also, I always uses 303 after cleaning for extra uv protection.
One thing I have noticed with the Exquisite that I didn't with the Simple Green -it seems that the interior stains a little bit easier now that I have been using Exquisite...I have not heard of anyone else with this problem, so maybe I am just being picky...??

Regardless, Simple green is biodegradable, and I use it to clean the bildge too. Great product for general cleaning and its cheap.
Old     (lakepirate)      Join Date: May 2007       07-13-2009, 10:41 PM Reply   
"Where do you find this Exquisite?"

I had never actually heard of either until reading this thread. Googled it, and low and behold, eBay has it. Just bought myself a kit for $12 plus $10 shipping and it comes with the cleaner, a brush, and a microfiber cloth. I'm hoping it works as good as everybody says...
Old     (gregg_rossi)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-14-2009, 8:18 AM Reply   
Exquisite makes your seats smell good and soft but never seems to really clean that well, even with the brush. I like Babes seat soap, I think it is much better than Exquisite.
Old     (skeets44)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-15-2009, 8:29 AM Reply   
THis may sound weird, but when I bought my boat, the owner had plumbed a line to the ski locker for binding lube. I asked what he used and he said diluted simple green. He said that it is water soluble and environment friendly. Any one else hear about using this? It does work very well for lube and washes off after jumping in. I am just not too sure about being good for the lake.
Old     (skeets44)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-15-2009, 8:31 AM Reply   
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Ace-Detail-Supplies__W0QQ_armrsZ1

BUy it by the gallon. You'll love it.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-15-2009, 8:45 AM Reply   
Looks like thats what they say Skeets.
http://www.simplegreen.com/

But someone else says otherwise.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-15-2009, 11:15 AM Reply   
I've used Simple Green (about 70/30 dilution) followed by 303 for years as well. The factory skins on my boat went 12 seasons before I replaced them, and they were still in great shape except for the dark-colored inserts.

SG also works great for binding lube. People will tell you it destroys bindings too. My bindings are 2002's and nothing wrong with them.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-15-2009, 12:52 PM Reply   
I have to say that everyone brags about Exquisite and I was just not that impressed. Simple dirt that soap and water would have gotten off it worked great. It does smell nice. They tell you to use a scrub brush and let it sit for 5 or 10 mins. Maybe I am just not patient enough. Give it a try people here LOVE it
Old     (tomfish)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-15-2009, 1:29 PM Reply   
I used simple green full strengh...for almost 8 years on our 97 sunsetter with no problems that I saw?? It really kept the interior white. Now on the new boat after reading it was bad went to Babes and it works really well. Then tried exqusite because of all the hype and even with the brush saw no real advantage or difference between it and Babes. I think babes smells better and is easier to use so I've gone back to babes. I would not worry about the simple green you used one time.
Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-15-2009, 2:16 PM Reply   
I've been using Malco Pro Leather and Plastic cleaner for a while. It cleans awesome, but the stuff attracts dirt like there's no tomorrow. I think that's a problem with the good cleaners that pull dirt out...if you don't completely remove the cleaner it just acts as attractant. I just bought some babe's, and it cleaned well. It takes a little more scrubbing than the malco, but it seems like it conditions well and is definitely not as harsh. I think I'll give exquisite a try too. Does exquisite leave a residue?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-15-2009, 3:52 PM Reply   
^^Not that I've ever noticed. Been using it for a couple years now.
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       07-15-2009, 3:58 PM Reply   
converted to exquisite and think it works great. works as well as the magic eraser in my opinion, then you get the bonus of soft and great smelling seats as well.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-15-2009, 4:02 PM Reply   
What kind of boat do you have? I know SUPRA is now using Syntec Vinyl and Gore Tenara stitching, according to the brochure, you are only supposed to use a mild cleaner. They give you a sample of the cleaner you are supposed to use on the vinyl.

You might want to find out what material your boat has before using Simple Green or a more abrasive cleaner. Personally, I believe your biggest problem with stitching will be UV light, sunlight is hard on everything in boats.
Old     (nubb)      Join Date: May 2006       07-15-2009, 4:06 PM Reply   
Another one for Exquisite. I used it and Babes and compared the 2 and the Exquisite did a much better job on the stitching. Unfortunately its has no protectants built in but like most I use 303 anyway.