Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (mikef9844)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-29-2008, 10:55 PM Reply   
I am looking at getting a new board for christmas but don't have a local shop around here to test a bunch of boards, I need some opinions. I currently ride the Trip 133 now and need a bigger board (I'm 5'8", 160). I really like the trip but I want to step down the speed 1 notch, and want a 3 stage rocker.

I have rode some friends' PS3, Substance, and Shane.

I felt like the PS3 was way too slow and sat real deep in the water, which I didn't like. The pop was great and tracking was great though.

The substance felt faster than the PS3, but slow on initiating turns into the wake. The pop on the substance was also great, as well as the tracking.

The shane felt the most like the trip, maybe even faster. The pop and tracking were great on this board too.

From what I've read about the Watson I think it would be the kind of board I'm looking for. How would ya'll compare the Watson to the Substance, PS3, and Shane? Any other opinions would be great too! Thanks
Old     (zachcopp)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-30-2008, 7:25 AM Reply   
I ride the shane and love it! Take those cupped fins off, and its sick! Id go with the 136 Shane if I were you. Still a small enough board to throw around, but big enough to give you some crazy pop. I used to ride the substance, and its a decent board. But the landings on it are really rough. I think the PS3 is a more mild version of the shane to a certain extent, but I like every element about the shane better. It all comes down to personal preference. I have heard only good things about the Lyman. Extremely fast, explosive pop, etc. But you were saying you wanted a slower board so idk. But I love my Shane
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       10-30-2008, 7:32 AM Reply   
WITNESS 140 - youll love it.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-30-2008, 7:37 AM Reply   
How about an Axis? I sent you a pm.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       10-30-2008, 8:13 AM Reply   
I ride the shane and have only taken one set on a watson. It felt really tight even without extra fins.

The watson had good pop but felt too tight to me, even without the add on fins. I ride the Shane with the cupped fins (our lake gets rough and I like the extra grip). It is still plenty loose with those cupped fins.

I'd vote shane, but that's 1 person's opinion.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-30-2008, 8:18 AM Reply   
i have the lyman. and love it. check into it
Old     (watson_134_lf)      Join Date: Nov 2007       10-30-2008, 8:49 AM Reply   
the watson is like the substance on steroids.
i ride a substance, and the first time i rode a watson, it was like a dream. it pops better, lands softer, and rides like 3 times faster in the water than the substance cuz its so much wider. if you ever ride one, you'll know what im talking about. and its also nice cuz it has the molded fins like the substance so its pretty loose when your just riding but holds a strong edge. id definatly recomend it.
Old     (turbonine)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-30-2008, 9:54 AM Reply   
Witness.

Meow!
Old     (crosenhahn)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-30-2008, 10:26 AM Reply   
Witness... Love the thing!!!
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-30-2008, 10:36 AM Reply   
Witness -4- Eva (I actually have that tattooed in Old English letters across my chest)
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-30-2008, 10:52 AM Reply   
It sounds like the watson would be the board for you if you like the substance but want a bit faster board.
If you want something with a little less abrupt pop then the substance check out the witness.

the axis and lyman will be too fast
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       10-30-2008, 11:21 AM Reply   
I have a 08 watson w matching bindings for sale!
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-30-2008, 12:04 PM Reply   
I have an 08 Watson 138 that only has a few rides on it that I would part with. I moved to that from the Substance and would agree that the Watson is a much faster and better board. PM me if interested.
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       10-30-2008, 1:15 PM Reply   
Hey BCH what are you asking for it? I have the LTD and think I have it priced cheap but no interest. You can PM me
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-30-2008, 7:28 PM Reply   
I have an 08 Witness 140 ridden one time. Wasn't my style. $175 shipped if anyone's interested.
Old     (mikef9844)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-04-2008, 11:17 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone! From what I'm understanding, the Watson is like the Substance but a little faster, better pop, etc. That's good news because I liked the Substance a lot but I would like it to be faster. I've noticed that the molded in fins on the Watson are shorter than the Substance and PS3, does that directly affect the speed of the board and how it initiates turns?
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-05-2008, 8:51 AM Reply   
I like the PS3 but I am a new rider so it's speed and the way it sits deep in the water are better for me. I've rode the watson and I think it is just to good for me now