Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 28, 2006

Old    agent_orange            01-09-2006, 4:40 PM Reply   
Has anyone purchased this Fat Sac? I am looking for some feedback prior to purchasing one for my 2003 VLX.

Any comments are appreciated.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       01-09-2006, 6:14 PM Reply   
Just ordered it from Buywake today so can't comment on it, yet. Should be here in a couple days.
Was going to have one custom made, but procrastinated and this came out. I think it'll be bigger than the spacing under my seats. I was told it was bascially the open bow sac Fly High offers with the walkway cut-out.
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-09-2006, 6:25 PM Reply   
Yup I've got one, but it was "custom". b4 they started mass producing them. But I seriously doubt you're going to get 800 lbs out of it. I'd guess more like 500-600 lbs because it won't fully expand. Make sure you get the x-series fittings. I used PVC cement to lock them into the bag and got the quick disconnects so that I could still remove the bag if I need to. Mine has two pumps for the intake and 2 for drains plus one vent.

Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-11-2006, 9:51 AM Reply   
I bought one and just got it installed last weekend. It seems to be super strong and the fittings sure are easy to use. On my '04 22V Tige the bag fits the bow space great. Mine is replacing two small diameter bags that were under the cushions. I am hoping to pick up at least an extra 100# over what I had.
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       01-11-2006, 10:38 AM Reply   
The VLX does not have much room under the seats.
I thought about it too for my 04.

Not worth the hassel for the small amount of water weight you will be able to fit under the bow seats. Get lead or look at the triagle shaped bow sack if you really want to load er up.
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-11-2006, 10:42 AM Reply   
Paul (cincy),

Awesome if you would comment on fit on 205 / X2 / X1 / X-Star (someone really should straighten out MC on their naming schemes...).

Also procrastinated on the custom bag and currently have two separate bags plumbed up front -- (I think similar to your setup on an X-10 if I remember right from a few years back???)

What I am most curious about is if it is long enough to go all the way to the kick panel to maximize weight in the available space?

Thanks a bunch.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-11-2006, 11:28 AM Reply   
ditto Jeff - not much room under there in my 96 either.

but, i have one of the big 700 lb ProX sacks, and the quality and design is head & shoulders above any other sack i've used.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-11-2006, 11:40 AM Reply   
Not much room under the seats in the bow.I was looking at the same set up when they didn't mass produce them but like Jeff said,for the little weight,it's not worth the hassle.My guess would be MAX about 300lbs give or take.For me to think it's worth it,I would have to get just about twice as much weight.

Two words for you....POP BAGS!!
Old    agent_orange            01-11-2006, 11:55 AM Reply   
Thanks to everyone for the input. I am already running Pro X V-Drive sacks (love em')parallel to the MLS side tanks in the back--but when full could use the extra ##'s in the nose.

Lead shot/plate/pop bags seem hard to come by and expensive compared to the 175.00 for the sac, assuming with the limited space you could still get over 200#'s of water in there.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-11-2006, 12:08 PM Reply   
VLX and X2\X1 like the weight up front so 200lbs is a joke if you are running that much in the back or want to use the wedge.
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       01-11-2006, 12:58 PM Reply   
Jordan, Can you post a pic of your set up... I am curious how much storage room you have in the back when the bags are filled next to the hard tanks also curious if you have had any issues with the pressure on the divider wall??

Between the tanks and bags… how much do you think you are running per side in the rear?

Did you tie into the stock system to fill/ drain? Or do you fill them manually?

Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-11-2006, 1:33 PM Reply   
I almost had flyhigh make a custom sack, but came to the same conclusion that it wouldnt be enough weight.

I do give big props to flyhigh tho, they definatly are listening

I went ahead and ordered 25 pop bags for my '00 xstar. so thats:
750's each engine
600? kgb where the ski locker is.
1000 in pop bags
and 2 more 450's that I dont plan on using anymore, but are always available ;)
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       01-11-2006, 2:26 PM Reply   
fb,
No problem on reporting when I get it. Should be here tomorrow. I'll get pictures too. And, yep, that was my X10.
P
Old    00wakesetter            01-11-2006, 3:04 PM Reply   
I am ordering a an 06 22v and was going to have the factory ballest in place but when i get it am going to replace the hard tanks in the lockers with the prox vdrive sacs, and was going to pull out the hard tanks up front and do that custom u bag. It sounds like you guys are not convinced the u bag will hold enough water to
sink the nose.

Lcky, how much water do you think yours holds, and what kind of boat is that in?
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-11-2006, 3:08 PM Reply   
I have the bow sack just like they order now. It fits nicely in front of the 24V. I think that it is not going to hold as much weight as I would like, but I would guess 450 pounds.

Kyle,
Be careful about your plans - doesn't the stock ballast have 2 hard tanks in front of the driver's feet and the opposite side? You may have to add some piping to get it all of the way up front under the cushions where your U-bag will go. It is doable, but I don't think it will be a 20 minute swap job.
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-11-2006, 3:23 PM Reply   
Kyle,

It's a '06 22v rider's edition. If you go to the tigeowners.com, there was a thread started by Talltigeguy, i think. Regarding ballast you can actually search by posts from me (lucky 275). I've got some pics posted there. I think it'll hold 500-600lbs because the bow doesn't allow the bag to fully expand.

I ordered the boat with no ballast and added the Rival ballast system. You can fill it while underway. Doesn't the Tige factory ballast have the fill in the transom above the TAPS?
Old    agent_orange            01-11-2006, 6:43 PM Reply   
Jeff: I plumbed a 3/4" ball valve and PVC off the back of the rear(side) MLS tanks and connect the V-drive sacs with 3/4" tubing. Put the sacs in completly deflated and the fill to about 75-90% capacity and leave room for some jackets/wetsuits on top still, probably about 10" of room by the length of the compartment.

I haven't had a problem with the engine divider wall. I do fill/drain with stock system, it takes a bit (under 10 min) but I have a long no-wake idle out of our cove. You can get more if you cover the overflows on the side with your hand.. The fill port is right next to the overflow and since I rely on gravity to fill the Pro-X Sacs, they will only fill to about 75% capacity without a bit of pressure.

The boat is trailered to our cabin, a short drive, and I usually take the V-drive sacs out after the weekend in order to dry out the carpet. I don't have any pic's ready, but may take some and post them next week.

Overall weight----I would guess at 350# a side plus factory in rear. Sinks the platform no problem. I also run ski locker (500#) and sometimes a 400# sac on the front seats. I hate having to fill/drain the front seat sac and the space it takes up--hence the discussion.
Old    00wakesetter            01-12-2006, 10:28 AM Reply   
talltigeguy, i was planing on telling the factory to not even put the hard tanks up front. I was planning on doing it exactly like you said by adding a little more line to reach uo front, hoe hard do you think that would be?

lcky, i thought about doing the rival system also but just wanted everything done from the factory incase anything goes wrong it is warrenty. Yes it does fill in the back and you do have to be stoped but that isnt a major issue with us.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-12-2006, 10:45 AM Reply   
one more comment re older VLX's - i put my ProX 700 in the walkthru for boarding, or along the port side under the cooler for surfing (96's weren't wraparound seating). this works very well, and is the only change i have to make to go from a great boarding wake to a sweet surfing curl. i'd think something similar can be done with wraparound seating, but no experience.
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-12-2006, 12:56 PM Reply   
Kyle
I had the dealer install the rival ballast so they'll take care of it if issues arise. : ) I'm on my 2nd boat with that system and it works very well.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       01-12-2006, 3:55 PM Reply   
FedEx delivered the Fly High Integrated Bow Sac today. I was pleasantly surprised to see 4 inputs compared to 2 shown in the website picture.

It fits nicely in the bow, but as suspected it'll get nowhere near full capacity fill. However, it will get the weight further forward than if running 2 separate bags.

I'm pleased with the concept/design, so props to Fly High. Also, props to Buywake for yet another smooth, fast, and successful transaction.

Below are pictures of it empty, partially filled with air, and in the bow of our 205V.

Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-12-2006, 4:13 PM Reply   
Wish someone made pop bags around the NC area.
Old    mplv            01-12-2006, 4:16 PM Reply   
is there a chance it could get so full that it could crack the glass holding it in? how hard would it be to plumb it into my factory ski locker ballast
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-12-2006, 4:22 PM Reply   
We should have an Integrated Bow Sac shortly that we can put through the paces to see how much it holds.

It's tough to design one bag that will work on all boats from 20-24 feet, so certainly on the smaller models you're not going to be able to fill it all the way. That said, we're expecting to get close to 900 lbs. out of the bag if it could be filled all the way, so I'm pretty confident that you'll get at least 400 lbs. on a standard 21-22 foot boat.

Here's a picture from the top (in case you haven't seen it) so you can see how long the "legs" are. They're basically like to side sacs, which hold a pretty decent amount of water.

IBS

Matt, you definitely could do some damage if the bag was over filled, but with all of the fittings that Fly High Provides, you should use one as a vent to relieve pressure (this can be done through a dedicated vent line, or if you're using aerator pumps, through the drain pump). If you do that, it won't cause any problems.

(Message edited by s4inor on January 12, 2006)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-12-2006, 5:04 PM Reply   
I think that I'd want a separate port and starboard sides so I can weight for wake surfing. Nice setup if you don't surf.
Old     (xbrdr1)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-12-2006, 5:22 PM Reply   
For a bag that size it'll probably be key to vent out both holes on top for air.
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-12-2006, 8:19 PM Reply   
Bigshow,

In my boat, it works fine for surfing if you fill just one of your rear sacs and the bow. A few females don't hurt either
Old    d_fresh            01-13-2006, 5:54 AM Reply   
HOW ABOUT DIMENSIONS

Am considering this bag. The ones you guys got delivered looks a little bit different than the one in the pic from Jason. Can someone measure one up?!
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-13-2006, 7:25 AM Reply   
Thanks for posting pictures.

Seems to me a burp vent in the front triangle would have made sense on the bag?

Hey Paul, do you have a false floor in the bow?
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       01-13-2006, 8:30 AM Reply   
Doug,
The one I got is different from the advertised picture. The "nose" is not as long and there are 4 inlets/outlets. 1 on the top each "leg", one on the bottom of the port leg, and one on the forward top.
I'll try to get some dimensions, but guestimating it is 4-5' in overall length, 3-4' in width, and 10-12" tall.

fb,
I do not have a false floor, but one would be nice in order to more fully utilize this bag!
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-13-2006, 8:36 AM Reply   
Whoops, didn't see the front vent in your pic -- that makes a lot of sense. Did yours come stock with that or was that a special order?

I just asked about a the floor cuz your cupholders aren't visible in the pic, or are they?
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       01-13-2006, 9:08 AM Reply   
fb,
No special order. That's how it came from Buywake...thank goodness.

HA!...no cupholders visible because the black is a custom built (by me) walkway sub box. There are pics of it here... http://www.wakesiderides.com/rides/index.php?page=out&id=1482
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-13-2006, 9:19 AM Reply   
Thx for clarification on front top inlet. That was my main hesitation with the bag -- will make sure I get one with that on there then.

I thought something was up with the walkway. That sub box is sweet looking -- nice job!
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-13-2006, 9:43 AM Reply   
The standard fitting locations didn't work for me, so I had to special order. I use aerator pumps to drain, so only one connection in the bottom of one leg wouldn't drain the whole bag. I had them put the vent on top where it is standard, put a connection in the bottom of each leg and a fill connection in the end of one leg too. Just something to keep in mind.
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-14-2006, 9:19 AM Reply   
That sub box is awesome, nicely done Paul!

All of the bags are coming with the center mounted drain, that was a late addition after testing showed that it was needed.
Old     (whazzup)      Join Date: Oct 2001       01-16-2006, 10:30 AM Reply   
Just got mine yesterday and I decided to remove my bow cushions and place it on top of the gelcoat (I have a 2000 VLX). I was hoping to get 700lbs out of it but I dont think it's getting there. I use to fill a Launch Pad 550 on top of the cushions and it took longer with the same pump to fill that sack than this new one. I like the fact that some of the weight is more far forward but does anyone have any real weight values on this integrated sac? The fact that I am placing it on top is allowing the sac to fill to at least 90% full capacity. So if they advertise up to 800lbs full then I should be getting at least 700lbs but it doesnt seem like it.
Old     (bwood)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-16-2006, 2:42 PM Reply   
That's why I went with the open bow sac. I have a 04 VLX and just cant see that much weight fitting under there.
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-16-2006, 3:15 PM Reply   
Gid...You are insane......
Did you ride today, BTW?
Old     (whazzup)      Join Date: Oct 2001       01-16-2006, 8:24 PM Reply   
Kind of funny that Flyhigh doesnt list a capacity of this sac in their new catalog. My guess is that completely full its only going to be 600lbs or so.

Joe - No, we didnt get out today cause of the wind. Havent had good water since we were out last. I'm thinkin BV sounds real good lately.
Old     (denjoe)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-20-2006, 8:40 PM Reply   
Stupid question, but I am just now getting into adding weight to my 05 VLX. What is a pop bag?

I want to add weight to my bow, but the space under my seats is minimal.

Thanks,

Joe