Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old    ssippiriverrat            04-26-2005, 4:26 PM Reply   
Does anyone know if depth of the water really matters with how big the wake is? I have heard that shallow lakes can't make as big of wakes and deep lakes and I am thinking about buying property on a ski lake that is only 6.5 ft deep.

Thanks
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-26-2005, 4:32 PM Reply   
Depth does play a role. 6.5 is pretty shallow. I would think that water this shallow would definitely change your wake.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-26-2005, 4:40 PM Reply   
less water to displace, less wake...
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-26-2005, 4:45 PM Reply   
You're going to want at least 10 feet from my experience.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-26-2005, 4:47 PM Reply   
can you take your boat out and run it to find out?
Old    murrayair            04-26-2005, 5:21 PM Reply   
I think there was a thread on this a while back, but I might be wrong. I've heard anything below about 7ft will mess with your wake.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-26-2005, 8:24 PM Reply   
I used to think that like 10 feet was good enough to no affect the wake, but last summer when we would ride at Elsinore and the lake was like 7-10 feet deep(before the rain) and then we would go to Lake Mead where it was like 200 feet deep, the wake was considerably and noticeably larger. I was very surprised. Since the huge rains I think Lake Elsinore is up 20+ feet and I can notice the difference in wakes from last season.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-26-2005, 8:29 PM Reply   
I ride on a man made lake that a majority of which is only about 5-7 feet deep. You might notice a little difference in the height, however the wake will be really, really hard. I have ridden on larger wakes but they were really soft. Just my opinion.
Old    ssippiriverrat            04-27-2005, 9:30 AM Reply   
Ya, thanks boyz, I will for sure test it out before I buy

I would love to live on a property like this wake up in the morning and go boarding--tell me what you think if it is worth it

http://www.trophylakeestates.com/two/indextwo.html
Old    jeffsuperstar            04-27-2005, 1:57 PM Reply   
very nice property erik, isn t the lake a little small ??
Old    stormrider            04-27-2005, 4:43 PM Reply   
I'd be worried about breaking my neck if I fell in shallow water. Bottom changes, low water level.
Old     (barefooter12)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-27-2005, 4:46 PM Reply   
if you are looking at the Pine Island lake that one is close to 10 ft. we had a comp thier last year and had to put out some balls and it was alot deeper than i tought.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-27-2005, 9:02 PM Reply   
That's sick. And 4 months out of the year you can play hockey on it.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-28-2005, 7:15 AM Reply   
If the liner springs a leak then you'll be living on a MotoX track.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-28-2005, 7:48 AM Reply   
Don't listen to those last two guys, they're spoiled. lol

John, I'm sure you could take a nice stroll across the middle of your lake a couple years back. Same was true for my lake and the lake I grew up on back then.

As far as price, I think you have the criticisms. There are good and bad. The size is small, but it's private. 6.5 feet is about as shallow as you want it to be. When it gets to 5 ft or less the reduction in wake size is clearly visible . The lakes I've been riding on for 15 plus years in Florida all have shallow sections so I have a pretty good understanding.

I would find out how many lots are going in and I would look at the premium they're placing on that property versus similair property on a bigger lake or similair acreage that's not on a lake as a point of reference and decide if it's worth it to you.

More importantly, try to find out how much the lake level fluctuates from season to season (dry to wet). Talk to the people that currently live on and use the lake (or other lakes in the immediate area) if you can.
Old    bambamski            04-28-2005, 8:11 AM Reply   
We board on a pretty shallow lake sometimes as well. 5-10 feet. You can notice the change in wake for boarding a little bit. Where we really notice the change is when we try and surf. You can't get a good surf wake until the water is 15+ feet deep.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-28-2005, 4:08 PM Reply   
We ride in a lot of spots in the delta that are only 5-10 feet deep. I've never noticed a problem riding there. I'm sure it does make a difference, but we're not talking life or death. Put some more weight in your boat. It's not like you have to tow it anywhere. That setup looks sweet. I'd love to have an option like that here in norcal.