Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-02-2005, 9:21 PM Reply   
dont try it?? anyone do it? is it as dangerous as people make it out to be?

Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-02-2005, 9:28 PM Reply   
IMO, you would have to be nuts.
Old    low_key_wake            12-02-2005, 9:33 PM Reply   
Are we on punked?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-02-2005, 9:36 PM Reply   
a little too close to the prop for my taste.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-02-2005, 9:48 PM Reply   
Do you push stuff deep into the garbage disposal while it is spinning?
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-02-2005, 10:06 PM Reply   
:-)

GD, to a certain point.. i do get at least a finger under the rubber stopper..
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-02-2005, 11:47 PM Reply   
I do it all the time its really a rush!!!!!!! lol kidding
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-03-2005, 12:04 AM Reply   
I'm not big on wakesurfin b\c it feels like I'm going to run int the boat muchless have to worry about a prop.

Now thinking about it,I feel a little uneasy watching upclose,I feel like the rider is gonna slip back and the board is gonna come shooting towards my head.

Stick to wakeboardin.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       12-03-2005, 7:14 AM Reply   
If the board get sucked forward, which it often does, and you bail, even with a swim platform the prop is usually right there. I wouldn't advise it. If you however wanted to surf behind a 10 ft rope I don't see much harm in that, but nor is it true wake surfing then.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       12-03-2005, 7:42 AM Reply   
DONT EVER WAKESURF BEHIND AN I/O PERIOD. Thats just stuipd.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-03-2005, 8:42 AM Reply   
Anyone ever stand in the freeway and try to jump over school buses as they come towards you?

It's super fun.
Old    corkyswx2            12-03-2005, 2:47 PM Reply   
This same topic came up about 9 months ago. someone finally posted the aftermath of shredded arms and legs. Skin ripped COMPLETELY off the bone dangling. Try it if you want to look liek a disfigured war victim.
Actually, anyone dumb enough to try that, deserves it. No apologies.

(Message edited by corkyswx2 on December 03, 2005)
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-03-2005, 3:08 PM Reply   
stupid...
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-03-2005, 3:09 PM Reply   
ya we went today to check out how close you really are..

WE did do it 10 feet back though.. with enough trim the wave wasnt that bad.. i kick myself for not bringing my camera, but my boy is a pro surfer and he was just tearing up the wave 10 feet back.. wasnt close to the boat at all.. so I commpramised a little :-)
Old     (zacky)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-03-2005, 3:23 PM Reply   
Even at ten feet back, you could still build enough speed being pushed by the wake to get to the back of the boat. Then what? Chop-o-matic city. Like ice in a blender...
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-03-2005, 4:00 PM Reply   
MMMMmmmm face full of prop...Yikes!
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-03-2005, 4:05 PM Reply   
oscar.. its not that close at all.. one of my friends that was with me is very conservative when it comes to riding and he was totally cool with it.. it might have even been more than 10 feet out.. it was safe distance from the boat
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-03-2005, 4:27 PM Reply   
Look at Isaac's profile quote, then compare to what he's willing to allow behind his boat.

Most of the time 10 ft behind the boat sounds Ok but then the rider builds up a little too much speed, catches up to the boat and that’s when your rider may be in harms way. People that get in to accidents don’t planning on having one.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-03-2005, 4:37 PM Reply   
Look at Isaac's profile quote, then compare to what he's willing to allow behind his boat.

That got me smiling!

When we go heliboarding, or downhilling on our downhill bikes and someone bails and rolls halfway down the mountain we laugh so hard.. Sometimes I get laughed at and other times I laugh at others, its all in good fun.

Thats where we get that saying, it got me thinking of this 1 time one of our riders bailed

lol... now I cant stop laughing

(Message edited by extremeisaac on December 03, 2005)

(Message edited by extremeisaac on December 03, 2005)
Old    mendo247            12-03-2005, 5:09 PM Reply   
Dude! trust us do not do this! accidnets happen! i rammed the back of a boat one time cause the driver let off the throttle out of no where.. if that would have been an i/o i would have been ripped to shreds... that rider will be ontop of the boat so fast from 10 feet back.. what if your motor sputtered or slowed you down a bit and he wasnt paying attention..theres enough bad things that can happen on the water your reallly pushing your luck!
Old    low_key_wake            12-04-2005, 2:09 PM Reply   
Is this serious? Does any one but me think this guy may be on the newest "Darwin Awards"?
Old     (bennettag10)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-04-2005, 3:17 PM Reply   
richard is right, once i was surfing and the driver accidentally hit the throttle and the boat stopped, i jumped straight from the board onto the platform... even at ten feet back it seems too risky
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       12-04-2005, 3:20 PM Reply   
for an engineer, Isaac isn't too smart!
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-04-2005, 3:39 PM Reply   
Duane,

funny how that works doesnt it? Not only an engineer but a very succesful one... When you have a career for 10 years, support a family and have 2 kids to feed, Id like to see you insult someone about how smart they are..

have a good one jr.

Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-04-2005, 3:45 PM Reply   
Someone post those pictures, that were posted last time this discussion came up. That will end this thread real fast.
Old    low_key_wake            12-04-2005, 4:25 PM Reply   
a good career and a family doesent say you're thought process. Even successfull engineers mess up. IE...Kansas city hyatt, You know what I am saying, Jr. Cause we all know he isent going to not try it, let him do it, than we can all send him condolances wheh he posts that his friend died in the water due to loss of blood. Smart guy.
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-04-2005, 4:36 PM Reply   
WOW Loki, too much...send me your condolences (lmao)..... this is really cracking me up. All I asked was should I do it.. and Im telling you that we went out and the rider was a at least 10 feet from the boat.. and it was a safe distance.. keep it coming, you guys are really making my sunday evening entertaining.. that lost post was the best yet.....

nothing wrong with opinions on the subject, but once you start flaming me personally it just brings out your immaturness

keep flaming kids..
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-04-2005, 4:45 PM Reply   
if you guys that are flaming me would actually read what I put:

oscar.. its not that close at all.. one of my friends that was with me is very conservative when it comes to riding and he was totally cool with it.. it might have even been more than 10 feet out.. it was safe distance from the boat

Keep it coming kiddies

(Message edited by extremeisaac on December 04, 2005)
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-04-2005, 4:54 PM Reply   
Would someone just post those pictures to end this nonsense. What a joke
Old     (liquid1)      Join Date: Oct 2004       12-04-2005, 4:59 PM Reply   
I wouldnt do it even at 10 ft, to dangerous. Look at how many people have warned you of possible problems that can occur. Accidents can and will happen, your just pushing the envelope. How many accidents will it take for this newly evolving sport to be outlawed? Do you think the average congressman/legislature knows the difference between an i/o, inboard, outboard? We already have enough restrictions on our watersports activities, boat safe and responsibly, with every possible safety precaution.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-04-2005, 6:18 PM Reply   
Issac, I’m not attempting to flame anyone, I’d like to see that people are first informed, second don’t unnecessarily harm themselves, and perhaps lastly I hope that poor judgment doesn’t put an end to a sport that I’ve come to enjoy.

Many sports have inherent risks, hang gliding, mountain climbing, and parachuting are extreme examples. These sports are risky but they aren’t illegal. There are things that can be done to mitigate the risks. For many sports there is a wide variety of safety gear including, head gear, shin guards, gloves, and so on. Even with safety gear in play there is still some residual risk. Often motor cyclists debate whether or not laws should require wearing helmets. This I/O vs. inboard discussion many be similar to the helmet debate.

What are the wakesurfing risks, what equipment and procedures provide some measure of protection, and how does experience effect safety? Wake surfing risks include drowning, rope entanglement, other boaters, and anything hanging off the stern of the surfwake generating boat, especially the prop. Safety gear for this sport includes lifejackets, wakesurf specific tow ropes, in some states orange rider down flags, and boat configuration (I/O and outboard vs. inboard). Safe operating procedures may include boat to boat operating distance, surfer to boat wake generating boat distance, and day light restrictions. How does ocean surfing, wakeboarding, waterskiing, swimming, and driver experience translate to wakesurfing safety?

This summer I was surfing behind my boat. We were riding on a lake that I’ve been on many times before but my driver was not familiar with the lake. It was toward the end of the summer and so the level of the lake was a little down. A shallow water buoy that should have warned the driver had drifted ashore. The driver was piloting in very shallow water, my boat came to a fairly abrupt stop as it had run aground. I caught up to the boat quit quickly and had to jump off of the board. I didn’t expect the boat to stop quickly but it did. Fortunately the only damage was to the propeller, and it’s repairable. I’m glad that I wasn’t behind an I/O.

I’d hate to see you and your crew have an unfortunate incident and I hate to hear other people with perhaps less experience than your crew read this thread without a substantial opposing position and give wakesurfing a try with disastrous results.

My recommendation is to try the find a third section and find someone with in inboard to surf with. Be careful and safe.

Regards,

Ed

PS Eric, I’ve seen some alleged incident pictures, but I don’t think that they are real, I mean they’re real but not from wakesurfing accidents. I’d rather restrict this discussion to facts.
Old    davekruk            12-04-2005, 6:56 PM Reply   
arm
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-05-2005, 8:46 AM Reply   
That's the unsubstantiated photo - I don't think this is related to wakesurfing. If it is let's hear some facts, when did it happen, where was it reported, and so on, otherwise stop bringing it up.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-05-2005, 10:30 AM Reply   
I posted that pic.....

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/216958.html
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-09-2005, 5:29 PM Reply   
We also have the pic on www.HowToWakeSurf.com

Whether the picture is substantiated or not is irrelevant. A boat propeller could easily do that, or worse. The whole concept here is to discourage anyone from even thinking about surfing behind an I/O. When a candidate for the Darwin award does meet the propeller of an I/O, someone will be screaming to outlaw wake surfing.

We too have been surfing when a jet ski cut right in front of our boat and stalled. Our driver had to “slam on the brakes” and the surfer ended up in the front seat. Fortunately he was quick enough to jump over the transom and landed inside the boat running. If it were an I/O it would have been absolutely impossible for him to stop or pull off to the side in time.
Old    iainn_elliott            01-07-2006, 8:32 PM Reply   
think about it that dudes hand What be Gone if the prob hit it thing how fast its turning.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-08-2006, 7:50 AM Reply   
WTF, read what you've written before you post.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-08-2006, 8:25 AM Reply   
Its only funny till someone gets hurt, then its halarious
but my boy is a pro surfer
support a family and have 2 kids to feed
WE did do it 10 feet back though
does anyone else see all the bad karma here?
Old    surfdad            01-09-2006, 9:11 AM Reply   
Isaac or Jo or whomever, I don’t believe that anyone here is overly concerned about what Issac's boy does or doesn’t do until it affects our sport collectively or individually. I think for most of us here, we are cautious of our sport being regulated out of existence, so we advocate safe practices for the masses, as Larry states above. It’s not personal or even about Issac or his son’s choices, or should NOT be.

As Issac pointed out, he believes that his son’s skill as a professional surfer is adequate to prevent an accident. No doubt he’s surfed overhead reef breaks in a foot of ocean. I’m sure that both of them would NOT recommend such practices for anyone with less skill than a seasoned professional. Likewise, I don’t believe that Issac is recommending that little “8-year-old Johnny” wakesurf behind an I/O. Or that his, presumably as yet, unskilled grandchildren should.

There is a legitimate risk involved in wakesurfing behind an I/O. I think that Issac acknowledges that by the repeated use of the term “pro surfer”. For the rest of the boating public, who do NOT posses this extraordinary skill, I think the warning of the participants in the sport should be heeded. Much like the car ads we see: “Don’t try this at home, folks: professional driver on a closed course”.

I know personally, I would prefer that our sport have as little regulation as possible, and that self-regulation is preferable to government-imposed regulation, always. Seasoned professionals, like Issac's son, have the skills and experience necessary to assess the risks they take, those without such skills do not. I personally would recommend that this later group follow the recommendations of the majority of folks in this thread and NOT wakesurf behind an I/O.

In an odd way, I think everyone is saying the same thing in this thread.
Old     (thirdgear)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-09-2006, 1:45 PM Reply   
So wait...

"dont try it?? anyone do it? is it as dangerous as people make it out to be?"

And then when people give him answers he doesn't like, he debates them on the issue? I thought he was trying to get informed on the issue? There was no real need for him to even make this post if his mind was already made up. Sounds to me like he was just looking for a flame war. He had it "engineered" from the start, if you will.
Old     (djustice)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-10-2006, 7:33 AM Reply   
He must not be too successful or smart, he bought a new bayliner, wakeboard edition. He is probably just p.o.ed that he thought he was buying an awesome wakeboard boat when all he got was a p.o.s that he shouldnt wakesurf behind. Another thing, why do engineers feel the need to let everyone know that they are engineers, it gives the field a bad reputation.
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-12-2006, 9:20 AM Reply   
Wake board towers on an I/O. It just doesn't look right. There should be a law against it. Next thing will be dogs sleeping with cats. What's this world coming to?
Old     (travis_m)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-12-2006, 11:52 PM Reply   
I had a really nice dog and a cool cat once. They slept together and ate together.

(now on topic....)
Why would you want to wakesurf behind an IO?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-13-2006, 9:41 AM Reply   
Because I have trouble counting to 10 without all of my fingers.