Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-27-2010, 6:31 PM Reply   
Not sure how many of you have to deal with this in your area but here in Santa Clara County in California we have a strict program we have to go through with some rules that aren't even published on the Counties website so we made a page that explains exactly what they're doing and what there looking for so if you boat here you won't be caught off guard and you'll pass inspection every time with flying colors.

www.26states30lakes.com/quagga1

Also in planning our big cross country trip we have found that every state is combating this issue differently. We have already purchased Mussel stickers for Wyoming and Idaho.

What does your state do for inspections? Any heads up would be greatly appreciatted as we want to make sure we launch with flying colors at all of your lakes too! I attached photos of my current Mussel stickers for Wyoming and Idaho, probably the only boat in Cali with these stickers on the side right now!

P.S. If you boat in Santa Clara County you'll want to make sure you read all the tips as there are some rules that if not followed will get your boat quarinteneed for 30 days just by answering a question on the questionaire incorrectly even if your boat is clean, drained and dry!
Attached Images

Old     (t0nyv831)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-27-2010, 10:09 PM Reply   
Just read the article on how to pass inspection. Well done. I didn't realize they automaitically fail you if you've been out to Naci. I go out to San Antonio and have never had an issue going back to Sant Clara. Good to know though. Needless to say, I've yet to fail an inspection out there (SC). I'm 5 for 5... I kinda wish they'd band / sticker all boats that have been used on known none infested waterways. It just sucks having to do the "walk of shame" after failing an inspection.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-27-2010, 10:52 PM Reply   
Thats one of the reasons I wrote the article. They have so many goofy rules that no one knows about untill they fail! The problem is there's no statewide program every county and every state is combatting this problem in there own way. I find it ironic that you could boat in Lake Mead or Havasu and the next day role to San Antonio and launch because they aren't doing any inspections and then launch in Santa Clara County, however, If you Boat in Naciemento not a mile away as the crow flies you are banned on the spot! The problem is someone drew an imaginary line through the center of California and if you fall below it you can't boat here. I used to keep my boat registered at nacimento because we have a cabin there but know I've had to change the registration to reflect my house in Santa Clara County or else I couldn't boat here period!
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-28-2010, 8:59 AM Reply   
http://nas2.er.usgs.gov/viewer/omap.aspx?SpeciesID=5

I think this is scary. Sorry, I'm all for inspections and requirements if it keeps them away from non-invaded lakes. They do need to be better organized about it.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-28-2010, 11:27 AM Reply   
Lake Powell is pretty strict, but not as strict.

i did not read the whole article, but i also don't plan to boat in Cali. The map of the US though showed a green dot on Powell, but i have yet to hear that powell has been invaded. At Powell there are rangers at the enterance to the park and at the top of the boat ramps. they ask you if your boat has been to any other lakes recently and require you to have a green sheet of paper that says your muscle free. the paper only lasts 2 weeks or so till expired. if caught without a current green paper in the dash you will be fined, but i forget how much. also they close the launch ramps during the night, but only do so with a row of cones.

everything is very much by your word and on your honor. its a matter of when and not if, powell will be invaded i think ;(

apparently there has been a recent invasive fresh water jelly fish in powell. only read reports and never seen any. they think someone dumped a fish tank in the lake and that is how they got there. they don't pose a threat, at least not to humans that i know of