Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-14-2013, 11:22 AM Reply   
And my PPI 4125 decided to take a break LOL

My Amp after 10 years of "Doing Work" decided it had had enough. A small puff of smoke and she fell silent. So I did some asking around on DIYaudio.com and it turns out their is quite a few guys that still repair these old amp's and "Mod" them in the process. I found a guy that will go threw my amp and fix whats broken and then Update it and Crank it up!!!! As if I needed more volume. He say's that replacement parts are quite common and much better than the originals. Most of the stuff that breaks can be replaced with better parts. Here are some pic's of the Dammage
The Frist 2 are of the Tower amp that smoked.
The 2nd 2 are of the Hull amp (Still working fine) But I figured I would get it cleaned up and tuned up and overhauled at the same time.

They will bench test it and set it to factory spec's or better and provide a output data sheet
Attached Images

Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-14-2013, 11:48 AM Reply   
How much does that cost? Much less than a new amp?
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       10-14-2013, 1:08 PM Reply   
It looks like a transistor or two in the switching power supply died. Common. If the circuit board traces aren't damaged then those transistors are typically less than $10 each + labor. It's a good series of amplifiers and worth it to repair....especially in the off season.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-14-2013, 2:14 PM Reply   
501's Im not sure of the cost right now. I was told around $200 if the amp need total rebuild.
I picked up a used on from a buddy for $250 as something to have while these are at the shop . So if I can get these re-built and tuned up for under $200 then I guess I'm doing good.

I don't even know what Amp I would go with in the event I had to replace these. They have worked great so far, and not having to re do the amp mount's for new amps and switch wires around for a new amp is well worth the $ to me.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-14-2013, 5:07 PM Reply   
Sent one for repair about 5 years ago...guys were in AZ. They did a great job. Probably found someone that used to work for PPI before ii was sold.

Loved those amps man!!!!

Zapco 1000.4 if replacement is needed.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-15-2013, 8:20 AM Reply   
My Amp repair guy is saying Like $125 to repair the amp. That seems more then fair. I can buy another Used one for around $250 so for 1/2 the cost I can have this one fixed up and possibly made better. No Idea on what the cost is going to be to go threw the other amp. Shipping both amps with in California was only $35 so that didn't Drive cost up to much.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       10-15-2013, 8:41 AM Reply   
Too bad I didn't know about this long ago. I had an Xtant 1001 that I took into a local repair shop. He didn't have the expertise to do anything about it. I paid like $75 for him to look at it and I never ended up going back and getting it. This was easily over 5 years ago, so it's not like I could walk in there and get my dead amp back now.

Sadly, I have a Phoenix Gold V8001 that I bought off CL that was in protection mode from the first time I hooked it up. But I don't think that one is necessarily worth fixing as the equivalent 2 channel that I bought as a replacement was $146 new.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       10-15-2013, 10:27 AM Reply   
$125 is about the minimum repair flat rate for an amplifier which is more than fair.

Here's a little history on the PPI.
The original Precision Power amplifiers were very good. However, there is zero connection to the current overseas company using that name. Jeff Scoon (original owner of PPI) and Bruce McMillian (PPI chief electronics engineer) sold/left and formed a new company call Xtant which basically used the same amplifier topology. Again, a very solid product. And again, Jeff and Bruce moved on, the next time in the late '90s to head up the electronics division for JL Audio where they created the JL Audio Slash amplifiers based on similar designs. The JL Audio Slash amplifiers along with Audison upper end amplifiers remain as two of the very best sound quality amplifiers in the mobile electronics industry.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-15-2013, 2:30 PM Reply   
David: Let me give you a little history abut my PPI's I bought them from a store 10 years ago and put them in my boat and have beat the hell out of them. End of Story!

But your story is better Thanks for the brief history lesson, Please tell us why you know so much old school Audio triva!
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       10-15-2013, 2:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
David: Let me give you a little history abut my PPI's I bought them from a store 10 years ago and put them in my boat and have beat the hell out of them. End of Story!

But your story is better Thanks for the brief history lesson, Please tell us why you know so much old school Audio triva!
An old school motor head could tell you which Chevy had a 327/375 with 4-bolt mains and 2-inch intake valves. I can't remember. But as an old school audio guy I recall related trivia.
Old     (bingbing)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-17-2013, 9:48 PM Reply   
Grant
Give Stephen at Zed Audio a call. He is one of the best repair guys around. They are located in So. Cal
http://www.zedaudiocorp.com/index.php/repairs.html
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-18-2013, 9:38 AM Reply   
Marc thanks for the info, I already sent the amps to the repair guy in Los Banos. Shipping was not bad. $33 bucks to ship to Los Banos from Redwoodcity. Got their over night Fed Ex.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-21-2013, 11:34 AM Reply   
Here is a pic of the Burnt amp in the middle of its repair. It looks like he did a great job at cleaning it up.
Attached Images