Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2008

Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-21-2008, 3:59 PM Reply   
Lately my backroll has been somewhat inconsistent, and my rotation has gotten all out of whack (usually a mexican roll). I originally learned it by letting go with my back hand halfway through the rotation, and landed a bunch in that fashion. But is the key to getting it consistent with the proper rotation simply holding on with both hands? It still feels hucked and uncontrolled when I throw it...
Thanks for any help here!
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-21-2008, 4:13 PM Reply   
My friend throws his Mexican. For years he was inconsistent. One day he would land 4 of 5, another 0 for 7. Then, he went to Orlando Wakeboard Academy (Sean O'Brien's place) for a few days, and now he's pretty much 100%. The only thing I can see that he changed is the approach.

He used to cut out as far as he could, get on the gas early, then let off his edge just before the wake. Now, he cuts out half as far, holds the edge through the wake, and not only are they consistent, they look effortless and just as huge.

Hope this helps.
Old     (watson_134_lf)      Join Date: Nov 2007       06-21-2008, 4:35 PM Reply   
"nice Mexican backroll roddy!" -my mom
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-21-2008, 5:16 PM Reply   
approach is key. You barely have to edge at all for a backroll. Just make it very progressive and edge all the way through the wake.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-22-2008, 12:20 PM Reply   
i like to think of the back roll as if you are riding up a tube, like a hot wheels car,... or pretend the wake is a big wave rolling into a tube, like at sea, and just keep riding up it and around... as if you really could.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-23-2008, 1:49 AM Reply   
Dan is correct. Letting go with the back hand is optional, but the only thing that does is just get your body in a bit better orientation for landing/balance (as long as you don't release it WAY early.) The real issue is the approach.

One thing that really helped me neaten up that trick was to take the cut I usually took, and cut it in half. Try starting about 15 feet out instead of 30, and fitting a GOOD progressive cut into the time you have.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!
Old     (inty399)      Join Date: May 2007       06-23-2008, 8:51 AM Reply   
ya dude. short approach. I have found that some boats seem to do alot of the work for you, kind of like the tube idea that Jeremy said, and some boats you really have to throw your self off the top of the wake.

o ya, also make sure you don't leave early.

I might be completely wrong but thats how i do mine.
Old     (ffmedic)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-23-2008, 11:16 AM Reply   
ok..i will have to agree with ty in the sense that the bigger the wake is ... the easier it is for me..and the smaller the wake i have to almost throw my body into the trick to get around for the landing. your post mentions de-mexicanizing your roll..i do them mexi style..and i think and correct me if im wrong anyone but if you are lookin for the more progressive style back roll it depends on were you turn your head and look...for progeressive you look over lead shoulder the entire rotation and for mexi style i put my ear to my back shoulder look up for the landing and let go with one hand...hope this helps..have fun...
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-23-2008, 1:47 PM Reply   
I think the Mexi roll looks better. Plus its easier to grab and to do roll to blind or kgb.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-23-2008, 2:00 PM Reply   
if you're edging SUPER hard- almost AWAY from the boat, the board is really going to get out behind you and when you combine that with tucking your head toward your trailing shoulder, you go "mexican". I think they look cool, but I'd rather see the water as I finish the rotation.

If you're trying to STOP throwing it mexican, then stay on your heel edge, weight on your back foot, and look up and over your lead shoulder. Take a progressive edge- but think about leaving the wake on your heels standing tall. Good luck!
Old     (seminolepride991)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-23-2008, 5:41 PM Reply   
i just got my first backroll today and then ended up hittin it 8 or 9 times...sometimes a few back to back...id agree with the not as far out of a cut. and then have a nice strong progressive cut all the way up the wake. then you dont want to forget to give a little pop to stand tall and look over your lead shoulder. i personally like to hold on with both hands but i guess thats just me
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-23-2008, 5:55 PM Reply   
To de-Mex mine I had to look up, not over my shoulder, when I looked back over my left (forward) shoulder, it dropped the right side forward into the mexi position. And like others said, concentrate on staying on your heels and tall
I like them 2 handed also
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-23-2008, 9:18 PM Reply   
yeah thanks for all the tips guys. I just need some more consistency. One day I'll throw them floaty and clean, and the next I'll be hucking them sloppy and mexican. Video to come once I get it down!
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-25-2008, 10:25 AM Reply   
push your hips forward...best way to do this is by clenching your butt, that keeps your hips stiffer so you won't break at the waist into the mexi.

do this whilst keepin your elbows pretty close in, and handle into your hips. this stiffer body position will create a bit more tension in the line which will flick you round the roll without having to use your upper body to through you round (like the mexi).

i actually through more of a mexi though, think it looks a bit cooler in the pics cause quite often your body starts to turn blind.

(Message edited by harryhog on June 25, 2008)