Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 22, 2006

Old     (wetirish)      Join Date: May 2003       04-12-2006, 3:28 PM Reply   
Anyone carry their wakeboard in a wakeboard bag onto a plane for storage in a on board closet? Do know if this is acceptable with all the new rules that airlines have imposed. Heading to OWC next and want to bring my board.
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       04-12-2006, 3:34 PM Reply   
I don't think airlines ever let you carry-on boards of any kind (wakeboards, surfboards, snowboards, etc...). You're going to have to check it, but when you do, tell them it's a snowboard. From what I understand, they'll charge a special fee for surfboards and wakeboards, but not for skis and snowboards (to encourage airline travel for vacationing skiers. Haven't tried it myself, but have heard accounts from others here on WW saying it works. GL

-Steve
Old     (spoonman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-12-2006, 3:49 PM Reply   
Fly american then no worries on a xtra charge or tell them its a trick ski
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-12-2006, 4:20 PM Reply   
Board won't fit in a carry on area. You can check with no problems based on our experience.
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       04-12-2006, 4:37 PM Reply   
I flew Delta Song to Florida and brought 2 wakeboards. There was no extra charge, you are allotted a certain number of oversized bags.

One word of advice though, WRAP THE TIP AND TAIL TO PROTECT THE BOARD, even if the bag is padded!!!!! I learned that the hard way. Let's just say the baggage attendant was not scared to heave my bag from the belly of the plane to the ground or something cuz the nose was about broke off the thing. Just wrap around the tip and tail with some towels or something. I would also pack the bindings elsewhere so the bag isn't so huge (they fit nicely in your checked baggage).
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-12-2006, 4:44 PM Reply   
I've been to Cali three times and back home now, shipped my board in general luggage, didn't once pay extra fees. Packed my board in my bag, some foam on the edges, wrapped in my sleeping bag, thrown in my vest and wetsuit in the bag too.
Old    2813308004who            04-12-2006, 9:18 PM Reply   
Just do it like Parks in Counterfeit This (Correct me if i wrong but i think thats the DVD that shows the interview with Parks and Harf getting their luggage)...Parks picked up his board from the luggage claim with nothing protecting it, not even in a bag...now i know i wouldnt ever do that but it was still funny
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-13-2006, 5:11 AM Reply   
We have dozens of flights all over the country and the world and have learned a couple of things. First, call them skis. I never had a problem with that. There is no wakeboard in their luggagae manual and you could spend an hour for them trying to figure it out. I have had to pay the extra fee (50-75 dollars) for everything else they try to call it. Watch the weight. If you apck everything into one board bag it could exceed the weight and again cost you more money. Finally, do a curbside check and wave a 10 or 20 in front of his face. He does not want to blow a good tip for a nonconforming bag issue.
Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-13-2006, 5:43 AM Reply   
yer that made me laf, thers danny with his board all nice and in a board bag an park's board comes around with nothing on it and hes just like "oh hers my board, ah you see you can do this with hyperlites"

laters
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-13-2006, 6:14 AM Reply   
Yeah, I laughed when I saw that as well. The difference is Parks can probably call and have a board shipped next day at no cost anywhere in the world. Another thing you can do is ship your board UPS ahead of you.
Old     (westcoastripper)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-13-2006, 6:19 AM Reply   
personally, everyone thinks you have to wrap your board and stuff to protect it in the bag. just throw it in there with all you gear and put it on the plane. just don't load it too much or you will have to pay overages. the pounds very on differently planes but it pretty much from 50 to 70 pound, like i said depending on the airlines.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-13-2006, 6:34 AM Reply   
Ive travelled with boards, and I would say cover your board in towels, especially the tip and tail, if you can buy that foam thing that they usually come in and wrap it several times around it. Ive never had a problem with oversize or overweight. Remember that these people dont care for your board as much as you do.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-13-2006, 7:09 AM Reply   
kiteboarders travel quite a bit, and have been stung with these excessive charges, however, golfers never get charged for their clubs!

So, the guys over at BEST kiteboarding made a board bag that looks like a golf bag, and all those charges are a thing of the past. Awesome padding, and room for everything! www.bestkiteboarding.com

Upload
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-13-2006, 7:22 AM Reply   
I have wrapped mine with towels and they still managed to mess it up. now I use some foam padding and wrap it in that. I think it is a matter of what mode the baggage handler is in. Error on the safe side and wrap it up good.

Like everyone else said say it is a water ski. No problems ever doing it that way.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-13-2006, 8:13 AM Reply   
also, go spend a few cents on some pipe insulation, and run it around your edges. Cut it to size and tape it together and reuse it on trips.
Old     (board2death)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-13-2006, 8:34 AM Reply   
drive behind a carpet shop and grab some of their excess padding- makes for an excellent way to wrap your board in your boardcase
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-13-2006, 8:36 AM Reply   
Refer to your airlines web site and read the policy on sporting equipment. That way you won't be caught unaware and you can make sure you call it by the appropriate name and not get charged. Curbside with a tip is best but curbside isn't always available.
Old     (wetirish)      Join Date: May 2003       04-13-2006, 9:05 AM Reply   
Thanks to all for the great replies. I think I will use the foam pipe insulation along the edges with some towels for extra padding. We fly American out of PDX and will check their web site for rules. A water ski it is... Nice Kiteboard bag!

I see that the 1st stop of the Gravel Tour is at OWC during the time we are there. Anyone know anything about it?

—wet
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-13-2006, 5:24 PM Reply   
TK, the Gravel Tour is a behind-the-boat event. It's on the same lake as the cable but it won't have any impact on riding the cable, except that the cable may be a bit busier as a result. You can follow the link to the Performance Surf and Ski web site for more info. It's an amateur event if you are thinking of entering while there.

I will probably be out there on the cable either Sat or Sun afternoon. If you see an old guy with a white Capix helmet, red shorts, and silver A-10 vest, that's probably me.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-13-2006, 5:24 PM Reply   
TK, we fly out of PDX a lot and always say it's water ski equipment, no problems. I made the mistake a couple of years ago and called it a wakeboard, cha-ching $75.00. Gravel tour is kind of like NW Sessions but up a notch because it's orlando guys that ride all year. Been to one, fun event and well run by Bill and the Performance crew.
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-14-2006, 5:37 AM Reply   
They are very smart at the Orlando airport.
Out of NC, I told them it was a boggie board, no hassle and no fee.
Out Of Orlando, they just straight up said, "$75 for the wakeboard". The lady recognized the board bag.

(Message edited by melanie on April 14, 2006)
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-14-2006, 5:38 AM Reply   
*boogie* not boggie.
Old     (vlxray)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-14-2006, 7:43 AM Reply   
How come they never charge extra for a snowboard bag packed to the max but they will ding you for a wakeboard?
Old     (wetirish)      Join Date: May 2003       04-14-2006, 8:39 AM Reply   
Randy,
What is NW Sessions? When and where does it take place?

John,
I will look for you.

$75. extra for a wakeboard is a joke!

—Wet
Old     (wetirish)      Join Date: May 2003       04-27-2006, 2:21 PM Reply   
Made it to OWC with no problems with the wakeboard. I taped pipe insulation all around the edges, and put it in a sleeping bag and tucked it in a snowboard bag... no questions ask by the airline the inspectors did check the bag each way. Great sunny skies and warm water at OWC. The east coast ocean was warm as well this time of year.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-27-2006, 10:02 PM Reply   
Golf!
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-27-2006, 10:06 PM Reply   
Snow skis and snow boards are free on most airlines, so I told them it was a snow board and suffered no charge.