Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-05-2010, 8:27 PM Reply   
Just wondering if anyone here has their car windows tinted and if so how dark. Getting mine done Thursday and haven't decided how dark to go.
Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-05-2010, 8:37 PM Reply   
I just did my Tundra. I decided to match it with the back factory tint. Are you doing the full car or just the front? Make sure the tint shop has a few different brands to choose from if you are trying to match the factory. Some factory tint has more green in it and some has more grey. A good tint shop should have multiple options to get the best match.

In this pic my front looks a little bit lighter but it's because it getting more light from the windscreen.

Post a pic when you get it done!
Attached Images

Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-05-2010, 9:09 PM Reply   
I've had a few different vehicles tinted and have a few thoughts....

1. Tint all of the windows. Nothing looks worse then a car with only three windows tinted. Make sure you do the front windows as well as the back.

2. Legal tint is 35% in most states (IIRC) but 20% looks the best and is close to what comes from the factory. I did 20% in my old Accord with tan interior and my old Audi had 30% with black interior and they looked fairly close. If you have light interior, go darker.

3. The only time I've had trouble with dark tinted windows is at night when it's raining and I am looking for a side street. Not often do I find myself in this situation, but it can be a bit of a pain if you are in a new area and trying to see where to turn.

Just like Trio, I also had my Tundra front windows tinted and I did 20% and they match perfectly to the factory tinted rears.
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-05-2010, 9:36 PM Reply   
It seems like the farther south you go, the more cars that have tint, so the more likely they are more lenient on tint. Here in Michigan the state troopers are known to be a little more uptight and I've had two cars with 20% in the back and 35% in the front. Some people noticed the contrast, but it didn't bother me and was a good medium between trouble with the law and darkness. In your case I would say do at least that or 20%. Also, is it a car or truck and what color?
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-05-2010, 9:53 PM Reply   
My buddy has 5% all around on top of the privacy glass (i think thats 20%) from the factory and 50% on the windshield...thats pretty dark haha.
If I were to do my F350 today, I would do 15-20% up front and 10-15% in the back... legal is 32% in AZ on the front sides, and you cant have any on the windshield. See a cop, roll them down if your concerned. Its not illegal to HAVE, just illegal to drive with, an officer actually told me that.

Get pulled over roll them down, they cant make you roll them up.... im not suggesting argue it, but they can't make you without a warrant.
I have a friend who installed a switch on his floor that opened that cut the power to the regulators in both doors, so it appeared that he really couldnt roll them up.... no ticket
Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-06-2010, 5:16 AM Reply   
Car is white Infiniti G35. 35% is the legal here in TN. I"m thinking 35% in front and 20% in back would be good. I've had more than my fair share of run ins with the cops. Not trying to constantly have problems. Anyone who has done this is it pretty noticeable?
Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-06-2010, 5:24 AM Reply   
Tan leather
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-06-2010, 8:58 AM Reply   
Hey I don't know if its in your budjet. BUT if you can afford it get the cermaic tint. These films have cermaic heet reflection and block out the heet. I have been testing them and the differance is amazing. If you live in a aera where your car gets hot you will be amazed at how much heet it blocks out. If I had to do it all over again I would take off the tint and go with a clear ceramic. You can even do the front window. No hassle with the law and it blocks out the heet.
example
http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/...rformance+Test
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-06-2010, 9:24 AM Reply   
I have 25% on my truck and never had a problem with the law in 4 years (knock on wood). Just have to give the guy I get to inspect my truck a little tip and they'll usually pass you.
Attached Images

Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-06-2010, 9:31 AM Reply   
5% on top of factory on a 2007 Silverado with a 6" brow. Its not legal, but never had trouble getting it past inspection. Will find out at the end of the month when it expires now that Texas enacted new tint laws.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       10-06-2010, 9:34 AM Reply   
I have had 20% on every vehicle I have owned. I never got hassled once about my tint the 8 yeas I lived in TN. 20% IMO is the best blend of giving you privacy but allowing you to see out. However if it is really dark out/raining you do have to roll them down some to see in your mirrors when backing up. Here is a pic of my truck with 20% just a note the truck came with the back windows tinted from the factory so the only ones I had done were the front 2 and I think it blends perfectly.

Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-06-2010, 9:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakesetter_WW View Post
Car is white Infiniti G35. 35% is the legal here in TN. I"m thinking 35% in front and 20% in back would be good. I've had more than my fair share of run ins with the cops. Not trying to constantly have problems. Anyone who has done this is it pretty noticeable?
I personally think that cars & tracks looks better with matching tint all the way around. Even if it's a little lighter. If you are worried about a ticket, find out what's legal and go 1-2 grades darker.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-06-2010, 10:43 AM Reply   
Here was my old civic - don't know the % (bought it tinted - and with that awful spoiler) - it was all the windows including the rear window - thats the best way to do it as - all the same
Attached Images

Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-06-2010, 11:12 AM Reply   
I have 20% all around too, the biggest drawback for me is getting my inspection done. Majority of shops around me wont' pass you with illegal tint.
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-06-2010, 11:43 AM Reply   
Parker, I've been in your same position with having plenty of run ins with the cops, especially as a younger driver, I would say stay close to legal--either 20 or 20 back/35 front. I would say 35 all around, but that is pretty light and might not be as much as you would have liked. I liked 20/35 because having the back that dark really diminished the amount of light coming in and having the 35 in the front made it a little easier to be seen, lessoning police attention. I didn't think the contrast between the two levels looked bad, but I do see the argument for having an equal level tint.
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-06-2010, 4:35 PM Reply   
I have my beemer tinted, i dont know what percent it's at though, it was tinted when I bought it. It DOES have the sticker in between the glass and tint though, which means its legal. in MN, legal is 50% light through, and no more than 20% reflective. I find it hard to believe this tint is only 50%, especially the back window which looks more like 10%, you can hardly see through it. Third pic is my friend's car with 35% on it, another reason there's no way my cars 50%. Oh well it's got the legal sticker so I can't complain.

If you do decide to go darker than is legal, I wouldn't go too much darker, especially if you're young and driving a flashy car like a G35. Especially if you're young and driving a flashy car like a G35. My friend got pulled over the day after he put his tint on that Lexus, got a written warning. I've yet to get pulled over for my tint, but i'm thinking it's only a matter of time until a cop catches glimpse of the back window. And definitely tint all windows the same, if you go different only do it by a grade or two.
Attached Images

Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-07-2010, 3:46 PM Reply   
Got my tint done today. 35% on sides. 20% on rear and 5% strip on windshield. Let me know what you think. Ordering an OEM spoiler to go on it soon as well. Pictures are in the shade. Not as dark in bright sun.
Attached Images