Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-06-2014, 7:56 AM Reply   
My dad surprised me with a FAE for my 99 star for Christmas. (Actually, it really shouldn't have been that much of a surprise, considering that he was on the boat with me the day that my 4 year old got carbon monoxide poisoning, what a nightmare, wouldn't wish such a thing on anyone.) About how long does it take a reasonably competent guy with plenty of tools to install? Thanks!
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-06-2014, 9:12 AM Reply   
Please tell the story of your young one. I've thought I've seen symptoms of it but couldn't tell for sure. I'd like to learn from your experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-06-2014, 9:23 AM Reply   
If you are mechanically inclined it should only take 2-3 hours if that.The hardest part is drilling and cutting the stainless steel parts.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       01-06-2014, 10:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn_rider View Post
Please tell the story of your young one. I've thought I've seen symptoms of it but couldn't tell for sure. I'd like to learn from your experience.

Chase, this is the story on my younger sister from this summer. I was out of town and they were doing some kind of boat parade on the lake. Lots of people, commotion, and confusion. Apparently nobody noticed her symptoms until it was too late. She wound up spending the night in a hyperbaric chamber at the hospital. Luckily, the only chambers in the state were only 20 minutes away.

http://archive.kare11.com/news/artic...-while-boating

Last edited by Jmaxymek; 01-06-2014 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Add link
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-06-2014, 11:17 AM Reply   
We were at Lake Raystown, Pennsylvania. My wife was driving, my 4 year old son Rip and I were observing, and my dad was riding. When my dad's run was over we circled back to pick him up, and stopped with the swim platform a few feet from him. My wife didn't shut the boat off because, at the time, I had a bad plug on my engine coolant temperature sensor which made the motor hard to start when it was hot. I stood up and started pulling in the rope, and Rip went to the swim platform to "help" his grandfather by grabbing his gloves (yeah, he still wears 'em) and board, which Rip likes to do to feel more involved. After standing on the swim platform for about 10 or 15 seconds, Rip dropped to his hands and knees on the platform. I didn't like that with the motor running, so I slid over the sunpad, reached down, grabbed him, and put him down on the sunpad. When I put him down I didn't know anything was wrong, but when I looked at his face I knew something wasn't right. He was pale and looked super, super tired. I spoke to him in a loud voice, but he didn't respond, and his eyes looked dull. I picked him up, carried him to the observers seat, and put him down. Everyone - my wife, my dad, and me - tried to get him to say something, but he wouldn't respond and seemed to grow paler. Also, his breathing seemed to slow down, and his eyes began to close and open, close and open. It was absolutely terrifying. We were about 4 miles or so from the boat launch. My wife drove us there with the throttle pinned while my dad and I did the best we could with Rip. His breathing continued to slow (at least it seemed so to us), so my dad began to do mouth-to-mouth while I spoke to the 911 operator on my cell phone. Rip's breathing seemed to normalize a little, so my dad stopped the mouth-to-mouth, but it was all we could do to keep him awake. The ambulance met us at the boat launch. Rip was started on oxygen and taken to the hospital. The entire way there my wife had to actively keep him awake (I was in our car following the ambulance.) At the hospital, Rip was diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning (I forget what his blood level was, but the doctor said it was significant but never life threatening) and was treated with oxygen for about 7 hours. As the doctor predicted, thankfully Rip hasn't had any long term issues because of the exposure.

While we were at the hospital, my wife and I were interviewed by a Pennsylvania Fish and Game officer off and on for several hours. He was actually a really nice guy. He seemed to think that the air quality that morning may have played a role - it was super, super hot and humid, just really dense. Also, I remembered that a wake from a large boat rolled past us in the brief amount of time that Rip was on the platform (indeed, my dad had stopped riding because it was getting too rough) and he seemed to think that maybe the exhaust being lifted out of the water was a contributing factor as well. Since carbon monoxide can accumulate over time in the body, I think that because Rip went back to the swim platform a few times earlier that morning to "help" me and my wife he may have had some build up prior to the tipping point event with my dad.

I've made some changes since that day. If someone is on the swim platform or near the back of the boat, the motor is off, period. Also, I won't chill beside or near any other boats that are running. If conditions are right (or, rather, wrong) carbon monoxide poisoning can set in faster than you'd think, and when it does it is truly horrifying.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       01-06-2014, 11:51 AM Reply   
Eric, 2-3 hours tops. Good for you for getting this, it will be a huge improvement in several ways!
Old     (jaws)      Join Date: May 2012       01-14-2014, 5:42 AM Reply   
I ordered one last week. I have a 5yr old and a 7 yr old and they love to be involved with anything that has to do with the boat and water activities. I noticed that they have a new style out.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       01-14-2014, 6:16 AM Reply   
2hrs or so. But you still can't sit still and idle and hang out on platform while motor running. Fresh air exhaust or not. It's super rare that I leave my motor running between riders.

Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       01-14-2014, 6:23 AM Reply   
Not sure if accurate but when they pulled actual hours on my boat they said half was just idle time & that is the worst for motors, shut it off.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-14-2014, 7:12 AM Reply   
If you have to drill any holes in the stainless steel because they were missed or are in the wrong place you can add extra time because it is a serious pain to try to get through. Other than that it is a fast install. You can also do parts of it without finishing it and still have a functional boat.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-14-2014, 3:16 PM Reply   
Your installation project will have a start ... and ... it will have an end. You may take longer or shorter than anyone, but why worry. You'll be on the water at ice out.

Take your time. Cutting and drilling stainless steel tube is not hard. When I bought my FAE, I was provided a step drill bit. It blasted through the thin wall tube (in fact, I thought it was a problem to prevent it from over-sizing the holes). Also, I ordered off McMaster-Carr brass or bronze sleeves to stiffen the walls of the square tube from compressing once the bolts were tightened. I got two benefits from that .. the first one was one I hoped for. And that is, the framework has remained tight over these ??? 5 or 6 years. There is not so much a squeak in any of the joints (~75 hours a year usage). Two, the stainless is the sacrificial anode in that galvanic set up. And still today it shines like silver.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-14-2014, 6:26 PM Reply   
Check out the cdc link on that kare11 link. Basically setting a boat up for surfing creates the conditions to pull CO into the boat. Just reminds me of how teak surfing was a killer of children as well for the same reason.