Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (rugdr)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-23-2009, 1:59 PM Reply   
Hello all! I have just sold my 06 Duramax Diesel and am looking for some advice on a new tow vehicle. I am considering two vehicles and two only (so let's not start flinging poo at each other...lol). I am looking at either a leftover 08 Cadillac EXT or an 09 Ford F150 crew cab. I know they are different, but I am looking for opinions from people who tow with either of these and opinions on the daily driver experience. I am just looking for an all around good driving truck and tow vehicle that is comfortable. If it helps I tow an 08 SANTE 210 if that helps for weight purposes. I think trailer and all it is around 4800 lbs? Anyways, any help anyone has will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-23-2009, 2:13 PM Reply   
All Wheel Drive on the EXT is immensely better for daily driving than a 4WD. It is not as good for serious off road use. AWD helps with vehicle stability and drivability and becomes more important as conditions deteriorate.
I expect that the EXT also has a tighter turning circle but I'm not sure on that. Both can tow that trailer with ease.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-23-2009, 2:14 PM Reply   
Either one will tow it great, the cadillac obviously has much more towing power and a better ride. I guess it just depends on what you want to spend. If price was equal and didn't really need a "truck" to haul stuff in the bed I'd take the caddy over the f-150 any day.
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-23-2009, 3:13 PM Reply   
I've got an 07' F150 Crew Cab and love it. I work at a boat dealer so I needed something that can tow decently well. I usually tow a couple times a week and anything from 3500lbs to 5500lbs, works great all around.

Agreed with nu bu, if you need a truck then you need a truck but if you don't then the EXT would be sweet. Thats kind of what pushed me towards the 150, I needed something I wouldnt feel bad about hauling dirt, furniture and hunting gear in.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-23-2009, 3:25 PM Reply   
what he said^^^3rd it

If price was equal and didn't really need a "truck" to haul stuff in the bed I'd take the caddy over the f-150 any day.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       02-23-2009, 3:35 PM Reply   
The only thing awd is good for would be about nine miles to the gallon or driving in the snow.thats the only problem I have with the caddie.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-23-2009, 3:42 PM Reply   
^^^^Seriously I'd bet any amount of money the caddy gets better mileage than the ford.

"G" has one he should chime in on what he gets for mileage.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-23-2009, 3:55 PM Reply   
Nu bu the caddy tow's more than the 09 F150? It tow's 11,300lbs! What does the caddy tow?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-23-2009, 4:22 PM Reply   
^^^Awfully defensive, oh that's right you sell ford. Re-read the post what I stated was a straight up fact.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-23-2009, 4:37 PM Reply   
I'd look into how far you tow, what kind of hills are in your way, etc.

The tow/haul mode on my F250 diesel helps me stay safe when descending long scary grades. I know the new F-150 has a similar feature now. I tow 200 mi round trip minimum with a bed full of camping gear and a cab full of family and friends. i want the safest ride I can get.

If it's flatland towing with shorter distances, then the caddy would be a plush ride.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-23-2009, 4:55 PM Reply   
For some unknown reason, whenever I see Cadillac "trucks", I assume the driver has more money than sense.

In this case, I'd go with the Ford....you'll have a better towing experience overall. And it's a real truck. I'm not a fan of full time AWD...more moving parts and pieces to give you issues down the road.

If you are coming out a Duramax, the F150 is going to seem very car like in it's ride and handling.

If snow driving is high on your priority list, the Caddy would be the better rig.
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-23-2009, 6:50 PM Reply   
escalade for sure! f-150 are for girls. Yup i said it my opinion.
Old    stillstandin            02-23-2009, 8:51 PM Reply   
I had a 04 F150 with the towed like crap. You will hate towing with that thing coming from a duramax. I vote caddy if you have to get a gasser.
Old     (rugdr)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-24-2009, 6:19 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the responses guys. Typically I tow about 50 miles round trip to the lake and the tractor gets towed locally, so no more than 50 miles round trip...nothing major. As far as hauling things go, my father and I own our own business, so occasionally we haul materials, but that is what we have a company van for. About the only things I haul in the bed of the truck are bushes for the house, mulch, sometimes job materials, and trash. We don't have a lot of snow here and the land is pretty flat (NC). Again thanks for the responses guys...Paging "G"