Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 01, 2005

Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-16-2005, 9:03 PM Reply   
Ok, I know this subject has been beat to death, but rather than continue hi-jacking Georges post over on Find a Third, I thought I would start a new one.

Short run down: Last Aug, I blew my ACL, MCL and Medial Miniscus wakeboarding. Had surgery in November, and I am coming back strong. Jogging 15-25 miles a week, and biking 100-150 miles a week, strength training 3-5 days a week, not including PT (3X a week). Had a Doc appt last week where we started discussing braces, etc. Go back end of May for final brace decision, but I like doing the leg work (no pun intended) on what I want, ultimately, out of a brace. The Ortho said there are a lot of good braces out there, and anyone of the high end ones (CTI2, Don Joy, etc) would serve the purpose of me getting back to sports (softball, wakeboarding, snowboarding, mountain biking, soccer, etc). So, in my search, I have talked to my PT, and they also recommended one that I haven't heard of before, but after looking into it, seems worthy. Similar to the others, but has this other nifty strap that the others did not have called the Active Thigh Cuff. It is more forming around the upper thigh, while still keeping a strong hold, it seems to move more with the muscle than just the metal piece, like CTI2, Don Joy. I will post the pdf sell-sheet below. I asked if it was acceptable to water sports, as that is very important in a brace, and they are getting back to me.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has this brace, how it feels, effectiveness, etc. Input please? Thanks!

http://www.faststartortho.com/documents/Eagle_sellsheet.pdf

(Message edited by ivyrider on February 16, 2005)
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-16-2005, 9:11 PM Reply   
KIM: By the way... there is no Hot Pink choice on this one, but a lovely bright copper, or putrid moss green that would surely alert you as to where I am at all times!! Or how about the silver?? Then I can look like a nice fishing lure, and the fishies can each come take a bite.
Old     (aidan)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-16-2005, 9:34 PM Reply   
CTI2
Old     (ritchieps190)      Join Date: Aug 2001       02-16-2005, 11:42 PM Reply   
From Donjoy's website:

Future research is needed to determine whether the stabilizing influence of the knee brace can be replicated in the ACL deficient and ACL reconstructed knee and to determine the functional impact of this influence on actual daily life activities.

And you saw the link I posted on the other thread. Misty, think you have the most balanced approach that different situations require different solutions.
Old     (ritchieps190)      Join Date: Aug 2001       02-16-2005, 11:58 PM Reply   
and two more from U of Oregon's Dept. of Physio.

While simple static tests have shown increases in proprioception due to knee braces and sleeves, dynamic testing in this study demonstrated that the increase in muscle activation may overshadow the minimal effects of the brace. Therefore, when balance is challenged to a higher degree, such as is the case in football, increased activation from the sensory motor system makes the effects on proprioception due to the brace or injury inconsequential. This article lends support to the need to replicate the conditions under which the brace will be used to determine its effectiveness

One issue that the literature has yet to address is the long-term effects of knee brace use. While someone who has suffered an ACL rupture may use one temporarily for their return-to-play following surgery, the long-term use for prevention purposes has not been studied regarding its effects on muscle activation patterns. It is noted that long-term brace use may occur in the ACL-d knee. However, individuals that elect not to have surgery are usually not very active and never participate in high level athletics. It is thus hypothesized that if the brace was removed from an offensive lineman who had been wearing it for 4 years, the risk for potential injury would be substantial. To justify a knee brace’s efficacy based on these data would be incorrect.

Old     (ritchieps190)      Join Date: Aug 2001       02-17-2005, 12:07 AM Reply   
also to clarify my position, I am not trying to discourage anyone from using a brace, but encouraging you to properly rehab your knee as your primary long term defense against re-injury.
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-17-2005, 9:18 AM Reply   
Matt: Thanks for all your input... However, I don't see how it is relevant. I am only 3 months post-op. Trust me, if you actually READ the info above, you would see that I am going above and beyond trying to "properly rehab my knee as the long term defense against re-injury". However, right now, I am just trying to get back to riding in 2 months, and I sure won't be riding WITH OUT a brace, so, give me a break, eh? I am doing my reseach to find the brace thats right for me. If perhaps in 2 years, I feel strong enough to ride with out a brace, than thats great, and it means I came far, but for the time being, you keep quoting passages and whatnot that doesnt apply to my need. Maybe we can talk about it again in two years, ok? thanks.
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-17-2005, 9:20 AM Reply   
JT: You stated CTI2, but didn't give a reason for liking it more than the others. Trust me, I am doing/have done plenty of reseach on the CTI and the DJ, but I am looking for more info on this particular brace. thanks for your input!!
Old     (p1emt)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-17-2005, 9:42 AM Reply   
My Tool ! What up girl my new one's will be carbon fiber so girl you get any color you would like ! You know me I would get the one that stands out the most the way I do !!!

Get it & Rip it ....SBB......Rock it
Old     (p1emt)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-17-2005, 9:46 AM Reply   
Misty Whatever you do don't get the silver I dont want no damn fish by us you i hate fish!!

.....SBB.....
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-17-2005, 10:27 AM Reply   
Kim: You getting new ones to replace the lost ones? Yea, you are right, I think Iwill stay away from the silver. Don't need any fish or seals biting my back side, just because its all shiny.
Old     (p1emt)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-17-2005, 11:44 AM Reply   
Yeah have to get new ones to replace the one that are gone when the MY CAR !!! Got my drysuit,knee braces,vest,gloves !!!

.....SBB.....
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       02-17-2005, 4:39 PM Reply   
Hey Misty...that new one you looked at is sweet! I might just try one on to see how it works! Dont hammer Matt too much, he is just worried about your long term prognosis. In the mean time...wear a brace. The Don Joy felt better to me than the CTI, and I liked the custom leg sweep in the thigh area. The fit is great, and they come with the under lay neoprene and several sets of side pads. hear great things about the CTI also. It just boils down to personal preference. Please take Kims advice and stay away from silver. I hate fish too (but love fish tacos). Take that as you will.
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-17-2005, 5:00 PM Reply   
Howie: ha ha ha... fish tacos. I got ya.

Yea, I was really excited when he showed me the brace. I have pretty much leaned toward the DJ, but now that I have this one to look at, I may reconsider. The CTI is 3rd on my list. I am waiting for the guy to call me back tho, so I can get more information. I have the contact guy up here, he can probably tell me who you need to talk to, also. Lets just hope they are okay in water!!
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       02-17-2005, 6:38 PM Reply   
Agreed. When can you come out and play? We need to see you on the water. I was thinking of some time next week, what are your plans for riding as ballast?
P.S. When is the Vegas trip?
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-17-2005, 6:44 PM Reply   
FWIW - I have been ACL-D for the last 8 years. Cannot say enough good things about my CTI2. They actually cast your leg to mold the brace.

With regards to the information that Matt has put up, my take is that even if it is only mental, I feel that the brace has really helped me. I only wear it for wakeboarding, skateboarding, basketball, & racketball and that's it. I don't even wear it when I'm weight training. Figure that it helps the muscle development in that area not to wear it unless it's absolutely necessary. My $.02
Old     (aidan)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-17-2005, 8:23 PM Reply   
My bro blew out knee May 03 started riding again in summer 04. With Carbon Fiber custom brace ( dont know the brand ) going wake to wake 180 blew it again.........as a UPS driver he'll never wakeboard again unless he changes jobs. My two cents, just get it strong as possible.
Old     (ritchieps190)      Join Date: Aug 2001       02-17-2005, 9:54 PM Reply   
JT,

Kinda ads relevance to my posts... thanks. Why would anyone rush back to activities that would potentially cause the same injury? I can't even imagine that your PT would be advising you to go wakeboarding at 5 months.

I know, I know... everyone is different... feel free to ignore my comments here.
Old     (jamesb)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-18-2005, 3:41 AM Reply   
CTI2 all the way. And will be post ACL reco for the rest of my boarding years. BUT.... my condition is unique (Ehlers Danlos Syndrome- Type 2) which means I shouldn't be wakeboarding in the first place.
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-18-2005, 10:00 AM Reply   
Howie: I am down for whenever (weekends of course). The child is gone for the weekend as of last night, and won't be back til late Monday. Might have softball practice, but you know I would pass for a little boat trip. Hit me up.

All: Thanks for the "GO CTI2" cheers. Really, I know how many people love them. What this post was about though, is whether anyone is familiar with the above brace. Trust me I have done plenty of research on the other 2 main braces.

Captain: Thanks for the info. I agree with you, even if its only mental back up. I am not going to be wearing it to walk down the street or anything.
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-18-2005, 8:27 PM Reply   
The Eagle brace looks interesting, but the other brands , CTI and Donjoy also use a strechy type of top thigh strap that should serve a similar purpose as the "Active Thigh Cuff". The Eagle does look like it would fit nice but you need to check into how long the ATC would last and how you go about getting it rebuilt. With all the activities you listed, the material may wear fast. I have had the same CTI2 brace since 1995 and have it rebuilt with all new straps and hardware every year.
Old     (hannondo)      Join Date: May 2003       02-23-2005, 10:42 PM Reply   
I have blow out my ACL twice. the first time wakeboarding and the second time three months into rehab. I have used the Donjoy Defender ever since I had the surgery for wakeboarding and snowboarding. I too have been trying to research which brace is best for me. I really am not too happy with the Don Joy. I thnk it does the job but I have trouble with it sliding down and straps coming loose when i ride. the brace may just be not fitted right but none the less i am looking into getting new brace. Let me know what you decide.

ps be sure where ever you get our brace from is willng to custimize every aspect of it for you. (changing out straps and pads etc.) Having great customer service will make it a much more enjoyable experience.

pps aren't knees the worst. struggle
Old     (hannondo)      Join Date: May 2003       02-23-2005, 10:44 PM Reply   
Sorry i just checked it is the Don Joy Defience not defender
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-24-2005, 12:20 AM Reply   
Jeremy: Thanks for the info. Do you have the sleeve that goes under the DJ? I heard that helps with the slipping. I think there is another sleeve that can go over it to keep the straps in place. But then again, it may be too many, and may make it too bulky. ugh, the lessor of two evils. How did you blow it 3 months into rehab? Thanks for the info. I will be looking at this brace soon, and we will see how it goes.
Old     (aspenshayn)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-24-2005, 8:46 AM Reply   
On both the cti2 and the donjoy: they will refit your brace for 1yr. free of charge. also not sure on cti2 or the one your questioning, but dj will pay a certian amount toward surgery if it happens while wearing there brace. don't think it's much, but still could be a factor.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-24-2005, 12:02 PM Reply   
Not to take your post away from the Eagle brace (I know nothing about them?), but in regards to the Don Joy straps coming loose, I have the same problem with mine. The spray coming up from my board would break the velcro straps loose.

To fix this problem, I bought some button snaps and some snap pliers($20) at a local fabric store. I installed a snap on each band to hold the velcro straps in place. This has worked out great!

Just a tip if you may want to do the same.... Soak your brace in water before installing the snaps. The velcro straps tend to expand when wet. (This may also contribute to the brace sliding down your leg. Always get your brace wet before putting it on to ride). By getting the straps wet prior to installing the snaps, you will be able to get a true fitting for where the straps will be when you're riding.

(Message edited by nauty on February 24, 2005)