Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-10-2006, 3:52 PM Reply   
Maybe there is a thread that covers this but I could not find it. I want to install a basic stereo. Head unit, amp, four speakers and two towers. Question--Do I put the negative wire to the negative pose on the battery or do I ground to the engine? Also what is the process for adding a seperate isolated battery.

Any hints on cutting holes in the fiberglass for the speakers and headunit

Thanks

Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-10-2006, 5:42 PM Reply   
I would ground to the battery. The purpose of an isolated battery is so you don't run your other battery down & get stranded somewhere. It's a long swim to shore - trust me!

We put a hu in our bass boat years ago. We first made a template for the cutout. Then we taped off our area & used a dremel tool to cut through the fiberglass. After doing it w/ the dremel, I would probably use a jig saw or similar next time. It kept breaking the discs.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-10-2006, 6:34 PM Reply   
Use a dremmel, however, use the cutting drill bit. They have this special drill bit looking thing, that drills like a drill, but then once you get to depth, you can use it to cut. I did that to make my opening bigger. Worked great. .. Don't forget to tape a plastic bag to the back of your "hole." This collects the fiberglass powder, and keeps it from getting EVERYWHERE. .. Yes, you can infer that I put something down, but didn't tape it up. ... I caught most of the stuff, but not all.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-10-2006, 8:08 PM Reply   
Bring it over Jay, we will have some shots of Herradura and then I will show you how to drill some holes!

Hey Jay, why don't you tell everybody what kind of boat you purchased...
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-10-2006, 8:21 PM Reply   
Hmmm. That's what that bit was for. Learn something new every day!
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-10-2006, 8:46 PM Reply   
HA HA!!!

Ya Jay, What is it you would like some help putting this stereo in???????????????????????????

Sorry Attila, didn't even realize this was the same Jay. Otherwise I would have called him out sooner.

Attila, that email you sent.... you mean tomorrow, or was that meant for today? I just got it a few hours ago.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-10-2006, 8:59 PM Reply   
That was for today Robb.

Just messin with you Jay. I think you connect it to the negative, the engine is not a real ground. Mikeski, help us out here!
Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-10-2006, 9:04 PM Reply   
Robb

Good tip with the bag. Attila I gots no problem its an i/o I figure why spend 50 grand when I can just go out with you . You need the gas money Unfortunatly law school and mortgages are $$$$$ hopefully when the wife is done Ill retire. At least its a 2006 I/O
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-10-2006, 9:10 PM Reply   
It may be an '06, but it still doesn't count. I notice you admit to it being an I/O, just not which one.

Attila, I took my wiz quiz today. Now I just need the background check. They said if everything goes accourding to schedule, I can start the 30th. Also, is there room (if you get your boat) on Sun for my brother? He's down for gas money, and help teach us how to jump.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-10-2006, 9:11 PM Reply   
I am happy for you bro! When I go out with you I am only donating $4.50 for gas, I know how little that thing uses!
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-10-2006, 9:12 PM Reply   
Jay, what are you using? What HU, Amp, towwer.. etc. I may be upgrading REALLY soon. If you haven't bought your stuff yet, I can get you a great deal on stuff that still works great. Just want to upgrade.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-10-2006, 9:16 PM Reply   
Jay, here is something someone made up. You don't have to use the same models, or even the same brands, but the wiring will be VERY similar.Upload
Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-10-2006, 9:18 PM Reply   
Rob

I havent bought yet Im still looking let me know what you have- Its a bayliner the only turnkey boat you cat get for 12G out the door. Hey the wife like it cause its new
I figure I suck anyway only boarded 2 times. Ill get a tower practice my surface tricks.

Hey Attila 3.50 should be good lol
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-10-2006, 9:19 PM Reply   
Upload

This is jay in 18 months... Honey can we get a V-Drive?
Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-10-2006, 9:20 PM Reply   
Thanks for the schematic
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-10-2006, 9:22 PM Reply   
Enough... back to the stereo!

Robb, what kind of tower speakers are you selling?
Jay, I have an Infinity sub w/box for you just for putting up with me!
Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-10-2006, 9:22 PM Reply   
No way you know the deal I said you can go to law school just as long as I get a 62 vette when your done.

Ill take the Vette and ride with you lol
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-10-2006, 9:28 PM Reply   
Jay, I have a tower too! I NEED to get rid of it. It's in a huge box sitting in my garage. Comes with 2 board racks. Should fit your boat just fine.

It looks just like this one, except it's white.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/311665.html?1143682492
Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-10-2006, 9:30 PM Reply   
Is it new? What brand? also does it fold easily?
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-10-2006, 9:31 PM Reply   
I don't know what I'm selling just yet. I think I want to get rid of my clarion 6.5's, and my Alpine AMP. I think I'm keeping the tower speakers for now. They sound good. I'm going to add a wetsounds 485 or NVS 808 in the middle to help them out.

Jay, I'll help with the install. I did a bunch or car stereo's, and I redid my boat stereo.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-10-2006, 9:33 PM Reply   
The powder coat was coming off, so I had them reenforce some welds, and then repowder coat it. It is straight back from the factory, still in the factory box. It's a metcraft. Yes, it does fold easy. Just takes an allen wrench.
Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-10-2006, 9:42 PM Reply   
I may take you up on that. thanks. let me look up the tower and see if its adjustable to my beam

Back to work. lata
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-10-2006, 9:43 PM Reply   
l8