Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old    lvly777            04-24-2006, 11:20 AM Reply   
Hey, I'm in the market for my 1st boat. I'm an intermediate girl ;) wakeboarder and plan to use it for that. I need everyone's opinion...PLEASE!! I am looking to purchase a 1994 Mastercraft Maristar 22'. It's in excellent shape inside and out. Lil bit high on hrs- 760, but the engine is very smooth and handles well. I can get it for 14,500 incl taxes. The NADA is $15.5k-18.5k. So I guess the value's there. So what do ya'll think? Good for a 1st boat? Will it be a good wakeboarding boat, after adding the tower, etc.? I am also open for suggestions, if you think there's a better type boat for my situation..please feel free to let me know. I am looking to spend no more than 18k w/ all accessories. Or 15 w/o accessories and I'll add them my self...THANKS!!!
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-24-2006, 11:41 AM Reply   
You could probably get something newer for 18K, but the Maristar is good boat.
Old    lvly777            04-24-2006, 11:53 AM Reply   
Thanks for your response. I figured I could get something a lil newer but not with the tower and such. I really like the idea of only spending 14.5 then about 2k in tower and sound system to be at 16.5 but if I'm going to experience a lot of problems w/ it due to the age and hours..maybe I should put the money into a newer boat and worry w/the xtras later? My main concern is dependability and keeping it w/in my budget. Thanks again for your help!
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-24-2006, 12:11 PM Reply   
I'm buying a 2000 Supra Launch for 21k w/ 205 hrs. on it, just to give you some comparison.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-24-2006, 1:08 PM Reply   
Nice boat but you can do a little better. I sold a PS 205 2 years ago with 330 hours on it for 17,900. Just keep looking around you'll find something.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-24-2006, 2:10 PM Reply   
Laura -

I don't think you should fear the hours, if a boat is taken care of and cared for they can last 2000+ hours... This speaks highly of MC's quality (at least back in the 90's)... Maristars in that year if I remember correctly have a wider hull and don't have tracking fins, if this boat is like this I'd keep looking because it won't track as well as a boat with the fins, more like a 205...
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       04-24-2006, 6:39 PM Reply   
To me that seems like a pretty good deal for under $15K including taxes. Add a $1000 aftermarket tower and your in business. There was a pic recently of a guy surfing behind a Maristar with a Big Air Tower and it looked good. It's a nice size v-drive and was built as a luxury family boat with inboard characteristics, but not a hardcore ski or wakeboard boat. 94 was before hardcore wakeboard.

For that price range, you may not find anything better. BTW, you can get a good idea of the wake by riding behind it w/o the tower.
Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-24-2006, 8:18 PM Reply   
Laura, go to www.tmcowners.com and you will get feedback from only MC people. That is a very nice boat if it will suit your needs, that is the important thing. Price seems ok and in a few years you should get almost all of it back. I have a '93 with 1300hrs. MC can go 3000 if taken care of, and those years were the best. At 700 i wouldn't blink an eye.
Old    alanp            04-24-2006, 8:52 PM Reply   
i have a mc 190 with 2000 hours on it(new engine though). i paid 8k for it. granted the maristar is a much different boat open bow and swim platform correct? but i think you can get a little better deal than that if you are patient. good luck. i have ridden behind a maristar about that year. and i thought the wake was pretty decent. if it were me though i would pass. i would hold out for a 95 super air nautique though it may run you a few k more than that you will not be disappointed. and btw you dont need a tower right off. i and many others have ridden for years on boats without towers and poles when we first started. good luck
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-25-2006, 7:49 AM Reply   
Alan,

She says she is already an intermediate. From that point, she will probably want a tower, in order to get better. I would say, get the boat, with the proper wake, and a tower. Skip the bling bling stereo till later. Having tunes, does not make you ride better. ... There is always X-Mas for speakers.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-25-2006, 10:01 AM Reply   
Lots of sites to look at here is one

http://www.flipsell.com/Phase3/home/
Old    lvly777            04-25-2006, 12:51 PM Reply   
Thanks to everyone for your coments, all of you have been very helpful. I think I am going w/ Robb's advice. I definitley have to have a tower. I feel there's just no comparison w/ my ride. I have been looking for awhile now, and this is the best deal I've seen...sure I could spend a couple more grand and get a newer boat...but that's the point, I don't want to spend that kind of money and I also do want the tower too. I can always get a newer boat later, after I've gotten thru the "newbie" stage of owning a boat. I'm just trying to make sure this is a good boat and price...
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-25-2006, 1:06 PM Reply   
Be patient and hold out for an older Nautique Super Sport ('95+) or Malibu Sunsetter VLX ('96+). Both can be found under $20k now, and are proven Vdrives with top notch wakes, great handling, etc. Basically a no-compromises rig, unless you're looking for the bling.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-25-2006, 1:10 PM Reply   
Oh, and 760 hrs is nothing to worry about - that's not even what I'd call high. I've seen a 3 yr old boat with 900 on it. With 760, it's just now really broken in. You can expect 2000-2500 hrs as long as basic maintenance was done before it will be needing a rebuild, and rebuilds aren't all that expensive anyway if you do your homework. Good luck. :-)
Old    lvly777            04-26-2006, 6:03 PM Reply   
ok, here's the deal- please give me your advice again...I have gotten the dealer down to 13+tax, which is a total of 13,900,throwing in 8 cheapee life vest and ski mirror. It books low retail at 15,500. Other than the hrs I would say it should really be in the middle because it's perfect in and out..I figure I'll have to put about 2500 into it to get it where I want it...tower, system, racks, and bimi. Setting me back a total of about $16,400..Soooo...I have been looking as ya'll have suggested but can't find anything of comparison in my area. I have seen a 97 Supra Vision w/ everything already on it for $19.5 (asking price) Do you think it would be a better buy if I can get him down to 17-18 or so? How's the supra, as far as quality for that yr and model? Anyone know? Books at 17,200 low end w/ all the options he has on it...
PLEASE help!! I'm going crazy! I need to figure this out quick!! THANKS SOOOOO MUCH
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-26-2006, 6:10 PM Reply   
I would recomend the MC. The price is right, it's a nice sized boat. It will suite all your needs. If it was smaller, that would be another story. If you buy too small, you will want a bigger one later. If you are getting a good deal, which it sounds like you are, and the boat is in good condition, then buy it, pimp it then ride it!!!!

Good luck
Old    lvly777            04-26-2006, 6:22 PM Reply   
Thanks Robb, I really appreciate your help here!! I don't know why I'm analizing this so much!! I guess it's just a big purchase and I'm a bit timid of owning my 1st boat
It makes me feel better to hear you think I'm getting a good deal. I hate messing w/ dealerships! But I did get him down from 15,900+tax to 13k+tax w/ xtras so I guess that should make me feel better too, huh?!?!
Anyways...thanks.

I tried to upload pics..but it says the image exceeded the max dimension, to shrink it..don't know how to do that..but if u r interested I can email ya or if you don't mind telling me how to shrink them? Thanks again

Old     (skier12)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-26-2006, 6:27 PM Reply   
Laura,
I agree with Robb. I'm in the exact same market for a boat right around 15k and it sounds like a good deal. You have to be a judge a little bit for yourself and your area. Some areas have alot more boats for sale than others and that gives you more options. As far as people saying you could get into a super sport nautique i don't think i've ever seen a good one of those for under 22k. I'd go with the Maristar they have plenty of places to put sacs and it'll give you a good first boat once you get the tower and such. Lets see some pics of whatever you get. Goodluck
Old    lvly777            04-26-2006, 6:33 PM Reply   
Thanks Kyle!! You are right about the Super Sports! No luck here ...maybe 20k but closed bow! Good Luck to you too! It's a crazy search,huh?!? I would love to show ya'll the pics but can't figure it out....any ideas?

Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       04-26-2006, 7:21 PM Reply   
pull the trigger Laura, you've done your homework. Then come back on wakeworld for all you post-purchase decisions. It sounds like you're getting a fair deal, but don't really factor in all the little freebies; those are insignificant in the long-run.

As far as the pictures, do you have MS Office? If so, right click the pic and open with MS Office Picture Manager and it has a feature for resizing to post on the web. Or check the help menu for resizing in whatever photo software you have on your pc.

Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-26-2006, 7:30 PM Reply   
The top, is how to upload to that website. Go down a little. It explains it in great detail how to resize. ... Everyone has paint, and it makes jpg pics if you want. ... This website seems to like jpg's, but not bmp's.
http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1043

You are welcome Laura. I did my HW too. However, I got so frustrated, I went to my dealer, walked in, and said... "I want that one."

I hope you have a great summer.

(Message edited by boarder_x on April 26, 2006)
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-27-2006, 7:18 AM Reply   
That does sound like a good deal. I'd pass on that Legacy, and go for the Maristar - you'll be much happier. Have it checked out by a mechanic.

Good luck!
Old    alanp            04-27-2006, 7:48 AM Reply   
13k id buy too.
Old    lvly777            04-27-2006, 12:54 PM Reply   
YEEEAAAAAHHHH!!!! You guys make me feel so much better! I'm finally over the nervousness and EXCITED about the boat! I made the deal and I'm picking it up tomorrow after they service and clean. I'll post some pics soon..Thanks again for all your help!
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-27-2006, 12:56 PM Reply   
Congrats!
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-27-2006, 6:27 PM Reply   
Congratulations!

Now comes the real money. .. Stereo (you can never spend too much there), upkeep, bling, and then the tower.

You did good.