Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-19-2011, 7:14 AM Reply   
The sum of my three Arc Audio KS amps is 2400 watts which is comprised to (2) 300.4's and a 1000.1

I am running some Stinger Dist Blocks that will accept (2) 1/0 awg wires and (4) 4 awg wires. Each amp is getting it's own 4 awg power and ground. Please help me with the two scenarios below.

The first scenario is b/t a 4ft and 7ft run from the batteries to Dist. Blocks. Would I want to run one set of 1/0awg power and ground or two sets of 1/0 awg power and ground?

The second scenario would place the batteries a bit further with a 10ft to 13 ft run from the batterues to Dist. Blocks. Would I want to run one set of 1/0awg power and ground or two sets of 1/0 awg power and ground?

The battery bank will be in the range of 220 ah to 245 ah.

Thanks for you help!
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       12-19-2011, 9:34 AM Reply   
1/0 is only roughly double the copper of 4awg. So one run of 1/0 is roughly equivalent to two runs of 4 awg. So 4 runs of 4 awg from the distro block is either overkill (you could get away with 8awg based on supply) or the 4 runs are being choked because of lack of supply.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-19-2011, 10:34 AM Reply   
The following is based on the typical 50 percent Class AB efficiency. Having the Class G/H will help.

1000 watts can conservatively run up to 4 feet total with 4-gauge so that is 2 feet power and 2 feet ground from the power distribution blocks to the amplifier primary terminals.
The entire 2400 watts can run the entire distance (10 feet pos. and 10 feet neg.) with a 1-gauge supply and ground so that will be fine between the battery switch and the distribution blocks.

It might be easiest to maintain the existing supply wire and distribution blocks for the two highpass amplifiers (which still provides some room for future expansion) and run a new, dedicated and independently fused 2-gauge from the battery switch to the 1000 watt monoblock amplifier.

In any case, the cables between the batteries and battery switch should be 1-gauge now with the larger power.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-19-2011, 12:09 PM Reply   
I have a single run each of roughly 20' ground and a 16' power run of 1/0 running to distros and I'm pulling 3800 watts without any problems whatsoever.