Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       02-23-2013, 11:12 AM Reply   
I am just asking out of curiousity. In recent weeks I went to a high volume Mastercraft dealer in an area known for small private community lakes or rivers that have a dam forming a small lake so to speak all with nice homes with lifts/docks. When my buddy was talking to the sales staff I was wandering the lot in the pre-owned boat area and noticed so many expensive top brand wakeboats that the back 1/3 of the boat (sunpad and back) were just destroyed by exposure to the elements (assuming the angle of lift in comparisson to exposure to the sun). These boats were anywhere from 3-6 years old, some with low hours. Some of the Mastercrafts had teak platforms that looked worse than old seasoned oak firewood. Is maintaining a boat on a lift/dock much harder? I know, I know...it's their money so who cares how they take care of their boat. However, for those that do not have trailers, or rarely use them, does it ever concern you that your boat is out all or almost all of the time?

Last edited by you_da_man; 02-23-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old     (yjwrangler95)      Join Date: Oct 2011       02-23-2013, 12:14 PM Reply   
I only have experience with boats on lifts in salt water environments. I can tell you first hand it is a lot harder on them than on a trailer. They are constantly near moisture which causes mildew and they get the sun from above as well as what is reflected off the water. If they were on a lift in a boathouse with no cover the sun pad could be exposed to the elements more ect. Its is awesome to walk right now and jump on your boat, but it requires maintenance just like anything else.

I would bet most of those sun pads had never been cleaned or treated with somehting like 303.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-23-2013, 12:21 PM Reply   
i have a boat lift with canopy cover. so really no problem. maybe some people have too short of a canopy. seems odd.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-23-2013, 12:23 PM Reply   
It all comes down to proper care. The people I have seen on lakes that have a lift typically head down on the weekend, use the boat, throw it back on the lift, and leave. Washing, waxing, teak care, etc is all neglected.

It is true a boat on a lift is subjected to more than ones on a trailer in a garage, but a good canopy, cover, and care can offset alot.
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-23-2013, 12:54 PM Reply   
I insist on a cover that goes over the whole boat including the swim platform. That protects the whole back of the boat as well as the sides in the rear from the sun and wind blown rain. Seems to work well

Wiping her down frequently and waxing occasionally doesn't hurt either.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-23-2013, 1:01 PM Reply   
^^^ X2. The only thing I add to that is covering my rear sun pad with towels also so any UV bleed through doesn't happen through the Sunbrella material.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-23-2013, 3:15 PM Reply   
I don't see any ill effects on the lift. For me its less wear than the dirt road our cabin is on and the shallow rocky launch. I have a 28 foot canopy for a 20 ft boat, with extended sides. The cover still goes on at night and when we aren't at the lake. We also have a cover for the platform.

It all comes down to care and having your boat on the proper lift.
Old     (jwmustangin)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-23-2013, 4:19 PM Reply   
This can be a topic for those that are in the market for waterfront homes, as well.

Where the sun comes up, sets, tree shade, how the boat dock/slip is built, and how much care/maintenance the owner performs all play a factor in how much exposure to the elements effects the boat.

My father and I have boats at a marina in boat lift slips. We made sure that we got slips that were not on the sunny side. The rear of our boats never get direct sunlight.

Just my 2 cents....
Old     (Indyxc)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-24-2013, 3:09 PM Reply   
My boat sits on a lift, with a large canopy covering i, and is usually covered.

Only sun exposure is one side of the boat.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-24-2013, 3:18 PM Reply   
Our boat is usually on the lift from March-September and I see no real issues so long as you clean it up every time. We have a rather large canopy that protects the boat well though.
Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-24-2013, 4:07 PM Reply   
you can always get a waterline cover. That will go over the whole back of boat and platform
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-24-2013, 5:22 PM Reply   
I'd agree for the most part with what has been posted above. My boat sits on a covered lift from April or May through mid-october, and I wouldn't have it any other way. The teak seems to take the brunt of the weather. It looks like crap by Labor Day. I think the transom probably gets a little more sun this way as well, but my transom had some oxidation when I bought the boat, so I can't really comment on this. I think the biggest thing against the lift is that it is easier to clean a boat on a trailer, in my opinion. That being said, I have a buddy who wipes his boat down on the lift every time he uses it. He also cranks it up high enough that it is about 3-4 feet out of the water. He even wipes down the bottom any time it has touched the water (meaning, in the summer, he may do this 3 times in a day). His boat is a 98 Mastercraft with around 1000 hours, and it is pristine. You'd never say the thing was worse for the wear from sitting on the lift. While I think it's easier to clean the boat on the trailer, what having a covered boat lift does for my interior more than makes up for this. My interior only gets sun when we're out running it. The rest of the time, it sits covered. Before we got the covered lift, the interior was exposed to the sun, rain, etc. from Friday evening through Sunday evening every weekend all summer and fall. The last 3 boats have had their interiors stay nice. The previous 3 had to have multiple interior parts replaced. Just my experience.
Old     (LFMCrider6)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-25-2013, 7:08 AM Reply   
We have kept our boats in lifts as long as i can remember. When we are at the lake house they sit in the lifts uncovered. when we leave, they are covered wit ha full cover covering the sides, top and back/swim platform. Even when on the trailer we cover them wit hthe ful covers when not in use. Our lifts do have roofs that cover the length of the boat so that does help keep sun off the covers, gel and interior. One nice advantage of the lift is the boat is not rubbing the bumpers into the gel or dock. Also it is not in the water all the time keeps the bottom cleaner. just my 2cents
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-25-2013, 7:48 AM Reply   
You solution for sun, water, dirt.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...ighlight=srock
Old     (2LakeWake)      Join Date: Jul 2011       03-05-2013, 9:26 AM Reply   
We bought a place last spring at the lake with a dock and lift. We have a covered slip on the dock which is where I keep my boat. Like most on here, I leave it exposed on the weekends when I am there, but it is covered when we are not there during the week. I am working on improvising some type of skirt to go around it since the cover does not completely cover the sides.

Last year I compounded and waxed extremely well at the beginning of the summer and try to keep spray wax of some type on it at the end of every weekend. Some of the boats you saw have probably never been waxed or compounded since the day they were put on the lift.

The sun doesn't get my dock during the winter, just the summer. I plan on compounding and waxing it again this spring along with rigging up some type of skirt to go around it.

Speaking of skirts - any of you guys have any ideas of how to make one? What do you use? I can have anything permanent coming down from the roof(lake rules). I was thinking of getting an older boat cover and putting buttons on it and using the existing snaps on the boat to attach it.

ANY INPUT?