Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 10, 2008

Old     (silvio4)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-30-2008, 4:46 PM Reply   
thinking about buyin' a mc x-star or a malibu 23 lsv. this would be our first wakeboard boat (coming from a four winns), which would be a better buy?????
Old     (hp_inc)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-30-2008, 4:53 PM Reply   
Now this is going to open a can of worms...I would say demo them both. They are both great boats and they each have something to offer. You can't really go wrong with those two boats. See which one works best for you and your family and have some fun. Good luck in the search.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-30-2008, 4:57 PM Reply   
Yep, test drive them both, take your board with you & check out the wake, and test the dealer a bit.
One or the other will usually stand out for you.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-30-2008, 4:58 PM Reply   
This thread has to be a practical joke.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-30-2008, 5:03 PM Reply   
Take along at least another 1000 lbs of ballast to test drive, I would imagine both boats need some serious weight to properly slam.
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-30-2008, 6:04 PM Reply   
don't forget the correct craft nautique 230 & 236....
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-30-2008, 6:24 PM Reply   
oh gawd someone kill me now!!!!
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-30-2008, 6:33 PM Reply   
Wait wait wait.... gimme time to go get a beer and some popcorn!
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-30-2008, 6:42 PM Reply   
flux- this is sams first wakeboat coming from a four winns. the stock ballast will be more than enough for them.

one thing you want to look at that might help your decision is space inside the boat. the x star has a huge bow but the cockpit is smaller. the malibu has a little smaller bow, but still seats 3 adults comfortably and a bigger cockpit that is more roomy.
Old     (ericlee)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-30-2008, 6:50 PM Reply   
I would never go with a MC or a Bu...Go with the Aztec Crow!!!!:-)
Old     (longhornfan)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-30-2008, 7:11 PM Reply   
I'm thinking about dating a smoking hot blonde or a super sexy red head. Which one should I chose.

Who am I kidding. The wife won't let me date either.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-30-2008, 7:29 PM Reply   
With that kind of cash add CC to the list and drive the hell out of all three. Research the dealer which could make all the difference and decide which boat you like best simple as that. If you can hit every manufacturer in your area I don't care who they are you may get a suprise on another manufacturer (Centurion, Tige, Supra, MB Sports, etc). Its a big purchase hell have fun and drive them all enjoy the search one will stick out if not flip a coin.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-30-2008, 7:38 PM Reply   
oivay...here we go
Old     (silvio4)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-30-2008, 7:47 PM Reply   
We have tested the Malibu and liked it (going to test a mc). Would go with full ballast. I have 2 sons who are really getting into boarding (12 & 15) so we thought it was time to switch over. My wife however is very nervous about how these boats handle rough water so we are trying to keep her happy (and quiet!). Looked at a Nautique at a boat show-she did not like it. Is mc really worth the Xtra $? Kenneth go with the red head-less maintenance!
Old     (stewart)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-30-2008, 7:52 PM Reply   
Supra!
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-30-2008, 8:12 PM Reply   
sam- if it comes down to a money issue, no the MC is not worth it. it offers nothing that is any better than the LSV. the only big difference is the shape of the wake and thats just personal prefference. both boats are equally versed and can take your two sons to whatever level they desire in riding. i dont know if your into skiing at all but the x star does not have a ski pylon. the x star is more geared toward a straight wakeboard boat. the malibu has a bit of family orientation built into it. but like i said both boats are just as good. i dont get how MC can charge 20 grand more for a boat just because its the pro tour boat.
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       06-30-2008, 8:22 PM Reply   
one thing to keep in mind is the pickle front end of the MC will take on water especially if your lake is choppy that is why I went with the X15 over the X star
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-30-2008, 8:25 PM Reply   
Adding to what Callen says....

With the Malibu, you can customize a bit more. You can choose between the wake hull or the diamond hull (more skier friendly). Coming from a Four Winns, your sons won't be able to tell the difference so you could get a wakesetter with full ballast and still get a "skier" hull. The boat will still throw a great wake. Add the power wedge and you have a great "crossover boat."

Both boats handle choppy water really well. One other thing you might notice is the vibration from one boat to the next. Before I say this, let me clear this up. The MC is not bad by any means. The Malibu is just that much better. The way they mount the engine to the boat distributes the load more evenly resulting in minimal engine vibration. This is something you should hopefully notice but it will depend upon how close the demos are from each other time-wise.

Also in my honest opinion (I have driven both boats) the Malibu is much more responsive than the MC from a steering standpoint.

(Message edited by cavlxenvy on June 30, 2008)
Old     (ty540)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-30-2008, 8:34 PM Reply   
Test drive!

You should look at the X-15 as well, by the way. The wake is really nice, and it's more comparable to the LSV in terms of layout and seating.

Remember, the dealer is very important (this is coming from someone who works at a boat dealership).

By the way, if you go with the Malibu, DON'T get the "skier" hull.
Old     (paulw)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-01-2008, 5:50 AM Reply   
I have had the 06 XStar for a few years now and like the boat a lot. It will take on water over the bow on large rollers if your not careful. You just have to be on the throttle to get the nose up when you cross wakes at slow speeds. We are on a small river so it does not seem to be a problem. We like the long ramp on the wake. The wake is wide and you need a far amount of pop and speed to clear. Ski wake sucks on the boat, so if you’re looking to ski this is not the boat for you. But it has such a nice wakeboarding wake you’ll never look back as in my case.

Was in a LSV over the weekend and it has a nice wake. Smaller in width, which is a good thing if you’re not that good, it’s easier to clear. It has a larger area in the back for people. It was a little louder though than the XStar. Seems like the vinyl is a bit thicker on the seats. I think the brochures say there the same but it does not feel like it?

Had a 08 X15 to use for a long weekend last year and it’s a nice boat as well. It has about the same room in back as the Lsv. The wake is about the same with a little longer ramp to it than the Lsv. It takes the rough water better than the XStar as far as the water coming over the front. Not that the XStar is rough in bad chop the wife would not like that. The X15 is a good all around boat with a large feel to if for a 21.5’ boat.

I like them all and can go boarding, skiing in almost anything. If I had to get a new one the XStar would be my choice again, even if it were more money. I just like the MC look feel, even though I’m not happy about the extra money.

If money is an issue the X1, old 205V hull, is a very nice boat. The boat is smaller and easy to handle. It has a solid wake and kicks you off it very nicely.
Old     (silvio4)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-01-2008, 7:08 AM Reply   
Thanks for the great input. As you can tell we a fairly new to this sport so the last few postings were very helpful. That being said I have another question. We were looking at an 08 Malibu and were told that the hull had been redesigned this year. I thought he referred to it as a diamond hull. tyler and vlx envy specifically mention going with the wake hull. We are not into skiing at all-strictly boarding. We are confused if the new hull is a wake or skiing hull or do they only offer the one type now. If that is the case do I go for a brand new one or get something a year or two old. I did like the rider presets on the 08 and the look of the new tower.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-01-2008, 7:32 AM Reply   
You can get the 08 in a wake or diamond hull.
Old     (paulw)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-01-2008, 7:36 AM Reply   
What's the price difference in the Malibu and the XStar, just curious?
Old     (tomfish)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-01-2008, 8:24 AM Reply   
Just don't see how mc can charge so much more. The malibu has tons of space in the cockpit which was our primary concern. The MC is truely an awsome boat but overall we felt there was more room in the malibu and the price difference sealed the deal for us. Not to mention our local Malibu dealership is full or really cool people with great service.
Old     (psjs1205)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-01-2008, 8:36 AM Reply   
The price difference between the X-star and the LSV is about $15k. Nu bu, which hull was redesigned then?
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-01-2008, 8:38 AM Reply   
Tom, what you just said about the dealer would have cinched the deal for me..they're both going to be head-turning jaw droppers and will both give you what you're looking for in a boat, but the dealership is who decides how MUCH of what you're looking for you will get out of it (in the form of how well they keep it on the water for you!;))
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-01-2008, 8:54 AM Reply   
05' and now in 08'.

(Message edited by 05mobiuslsv on July 01, 2008)
Old     (cody_08_lsv)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-01-2008, 8:57 AM Reply   
i have a 08 23 lsv and im pretty sure it was the wake hull that had some changes made along with the 247.. i can tell a difference between mine and my best friends 23 in turning and the wake seems to be a little steeper with just stock.. the nose sits higher for sure and the ebgine boex and rear lockers were shortened making the inside bigger. and im not sure how a x 15 has the same amount of room as a 23lsv when its a foot and 4 inches shorter but yes if ur dealer is making you feel at home that is a major factor to making you happy all season
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-01-2008, 9:04 AM Reply   
My bad Sam I read LSV but was thinking VLX.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-01-2008, 9:08 AM Reply   
I'm a fan of the Xstar. It can be slammed down and will still whip a turn at the end of a tight slough like a small boat (that may not be important to you). Try that with the wedge down on the malibu. For a big boat, the Xstar handles very well.

We slam our xstar down about as far as it will go, and we never take water over the bow.

Tom made a good point. Dealer is important. Good people at Norcal Mastercraft.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-01-2008, 9:28 AM Reply   
X-15 has a very small sunpad to get the extra room and does compare to a 23lsv. I don't know many people slamming a 23 and using the wedge.
Old     (dcb)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-01-2008, 9:39 AM Reply   
If your kids are getting into wakeboarding don't get the diamond hull 23 lsv. Your old boat probally has a better wake than a fakesetter. I've ridden one a couple of times with ful mls and the wedge and was not impressed. they need a lot of extra weight to match a real wakesetter.
Old     (silvio4)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-01-2008, 10:03 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the help you guys. That really helps me in my decision. I thought of a few more things though. My older son would like to know which boat has a better stereo system. I would like to know if either boats are under powered and, if so, which engine should I go with. Also, what are your thoughts on wedge vs power wedge.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-01-2008, 10:19 AM Reply   
Tige has the best stereo sound system...

WETSOUNDS!!!!!!!!
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-01-2008, 10:24 AM Reply   
Unfortunately, you can't install wetsounds on the MC or malibu...
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-01-2008, 11:05 AM Reply   
wrong ewing... i'm sure wetsounds will be correcting you as well. Wetsounds does make tower speakers for MC's.... not sure about malibu...
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-01-2008, 11:10 AM Reply   
http://www.wetsounds.com/home.html

wow that was hard......you guys are unbelievable! sarcasm and all.

i like the OAR for an intro tim sikk band.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-01-2008, 11:12 AM Reply   
J-Rod it is extremely possible in a Malibu to whip a turn with the wedge down. Possible isn't even the best word. It can be done as much as you want. I would do it all the time but I'm not a power turn kinda guy.

Most people with an X-Star pull a bit faster due to the wider wake. Most intermediate/advanced riders pull about 23-25 mph.

Both the wake hull and diamond hull were redesigned this year for the 08 Wakesetter 23 LSV. They are both available.

Thoughts on factory stereo systems.... For me, I ALWAYS order my boat blank and add to it.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-01-2008, 11:14 AM Reply   
And FYI on the wake/diamond hull comparison. It is all about preference. They did a video test of Outlaw riders along with Randall Harris. They pulled multiple riders behind a diamond hull and a wake hull and did not tell them which boat had which hull or that they were riding behind different hulls. All the Outlaw riders actually preferred the Diamond hull and Randall was the only one who preferred the Wake Hull. Again, take it for what its worth.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       07-01-2008, 11:33 AM Reply   
J-Rod is quite familiar with Malibu, VLX Envy.
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-01-2008, 11:39 AM Reply   
alright so, you're telling me these guys road behind 2 seperate boats, but somehow or another just "didn't" know what boat they were riding behind? what were they blindfolded?

I'm sure there is more logic to it than that VLX Envy, but what you said right there I really can't put a picture to.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-01-2008, 12:39 PM Reply   
So am I. I used to sell the things and demo them on a weekly basis. I am fully aware of what a loaded VLX will do with the wedge down.
Old     (tomfish)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-01-2008, 12:51 PM Reply   
in reality both boats can have very nice stereo's from the factory. If you want over the top systems installing your own or having it done professionally is a better way to go. Our 23 lsv had the factory system with 8 cabin speakers from fosgate with a 4 channel amp. Then the previous owner added another 4 channel fosgate amp for 4 titan alpha's and a sub amp for a 12" fosgate sub. The system for our needs is more than adequate. Don't let stereo be a deciding factor you can easily upgrade that item.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-01-2008, 1:24 PM Reply   
Obviously having an X-star makes us me pretty partial to Master Crafts. We are on our third Star having had 2 X2's before that. They're great boats and I absolutely love the wake.

I'll be honest. I haven't spent much time with Malibu's in the last few years. They appear to be very nice boats and for the price they are an exceptional value. My only complaint is that they used to drive like tanks with the wedge down. Maybe the new ones are better.

In my experience the MC is one of the best handling big boats there is. Fully loaded with 4k in ballast the X-star makes turns in delta sloughs without a problem. Our X2's couldn't even swing that as easily.

In terms of stereo systems they both can be had nicely set-up from the factory. The X-star comes with 2 10" subs from the factory. It sounds really decent. We've always added a bunch of system on top of stock, though we usually keep the stock boat speakers as they're really decent seperates. Tower speakers are personal preference. We always go with NVS's on our boats.

In terms of motor. I'd stick with the 6.0 (LY6) motor in the Master Craft. It's a great motor and will handle any load of ballast or people. The MCX motor will work, but will have to be re-propped if you run it really heavy. The 8.1 motor is icing on the cake, but it's an expensive option and really not that necesary.

Either way you go I'm sure you'll be happy. Drive both boats if you can and see which fits your style better. I'd also recomend finding a dealer that goes above and beyond. The dealer can make or break your boating experience. Don't let the price difference steer you clear of the MC. Once you start negotiating and figuring in options you'll get that LSV to almost the same price as a X-star. I know NorCal Master Craft has some X-stars that they're selling for under $70k right now and they're loaded with options. That puts them squarely in the same price range as the LSV.
Old     (kel_dub)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-01-2008, 1:25 PM Reply   
VLX Envy is right. Both boats appeared to be Wakesetters and the riders were told to ride behind both and compare. Randall was the only one who liked the wake hull better because he rides much faster, where the diamond hull actually comes into effect. Every other rider including an outlaw said, assuming they truly did not know the difference, that they thought the diamond bottomed boat had a better wake. Take it for what it is worth as many of us have never done the comparison side by side.
Old     (silvio4)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-01-2008, 1:51 PM Reply   
Alright, that answers a lot of questions. I personally don't care about the stereo that much, but my son really likes audio and asked me to ask for him. It seems that I won't go wrong either way, so I'm just going to have to test drive the MC and see what suits me and my family the best.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-01-2008, 1:53 PM Reply   
Keep us posted Sam...
Old     (x2fanatic)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-01-2008, 1:55 PM Reply   
Sam-
Lots of opinions from both die hard MC fans and die hard BU fans.....drive em both, see what you like, you can't go wrong with either one. Personal preference is what its all about. For us its MC, for others its BU. Both world class boats you won't be sorry to own.
Old     (silvio4)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-01-2008, 2:05 PM Reply   
Will do nu bu.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-01-2008, 5:30 PM Reply   
The local MC dealer said that they could only do a test drive for a buddy of mine (who ended up with a bu 247) if they signed a purchase agreement that said they would buy the boat if the test drive was satisfactory. So that means to me that you can't really test drive the boat and then go home and think about it.

Is that how all MC dealers do it?
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-01-2008, 6:11 PM Reply   
DO NOT SIGN THE PURCHASE AGREEMENT. That states they can recoup any expenses incurred in the demo.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-01-2008, 6:23 PM Reply   
Another one of their sleazy sales tactics, that's right after they bash all the other brands.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-01-2008, 6:34 PM Reply   
people who have a malibu will say malibu and people who have a MC will say MC, so with that said i will say MC
Old     (x2fanatic)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-01-2008, 7:17 PM Reply   
Yes, nu bu only MC sales guys bash the competition. I had to sit through a 30 minute bash of MC from a "factory" malibu rep when I took a test drive with them.........really sold me on malibu.
Old     (x45er)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-01-2008, 7:35 PM Reply   
I demo'd a 24LSV and an x45 in the same day and spent a good 2-3 hours on each. Testing them one right after the other was nice.

Although I didn't have to sign a purchase agreement before testing either one, I could see how a dealer might use it to weed out the tire kickers from the buyers. Keep in mind if you sign you better understand what the document is saying and don't be afraid to add your terms to the agreement and have the dealer sign as well................
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-01-2008, 7:36 PM Reply   
Didn't like it when the roles were reversed huh...
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-01-2008, 7:41 PM Reply   
Do yourself a favor test drive a 22ve or RZ2 from tige. you will have every bit of boat plus alot of exta cash!!!
Old     (x2fanatic)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-01-2008, 7:48 PM Reply   
nu bu- just pointing out the obvious, you can always find someone who will talk bad about something no matter what it is.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-01-2008, 7:50 PM Reply   
My experience has been the opposite of your. However the MC dealer wasn't near as bad as the Tige dealer though.
Old     (cody_08_lsv)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-01-2008, 10:22 PM Reply   
yes nu bu tige dealers are horrible..they try to make taps sound like the boat can make some monster of a wake then make a professional slalom wake with the touch of a button uhg its so annoying
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-01-2008, 11:45 PM Reply   
mc
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-02-2008, 5:27 AM Reply   
Cody, yes the bad dealers can do that because the dealers had no clue. When I bought my Tige, the dealer was great and very honest but NEVER said anything bad about any other boat manufacturer. It is all about the dealer and what they tell you or don't in some cases.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-02-2008, 6:19 AM Reply   
Your right the dealer will make a HUGE difference. These are the people your going to be leaning on if anything goes wrong. In our area by far the best and most knowledgable dealer is our Tige'(forte's) dealer he is also certified to work on PCM and Indmar. The Bu/Moomba dealer leaves a lot to be desired post sales but still sells a bunch of boats and MC dealer is a good guy with a good reputation. I still say hit every dealer within an hour of you. Might be suprised that there are other GREAT boats worth buying.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-02-2008, 5:39 PM Reply   
VLX...I owned a LSV 23...with a wedge.

You're talking VLX now, but the thread was about an LSV comparison.

There's a difference between powerturning and reaching a deadend.

An xstar wake in my experience is no wider than a 23 LSV.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-02-2008, 6:10 PM Reply   
They both handle the same to me. My job was to show people what the can do loaded or not. What year was your bu?
Old     (chestech)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-02-2008, 8:16 PM Reply   
MC
Old     (silvio4)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-03-2008, 1:22 PM Reply   
Speaking of dealers, does anyone know about the MC dealer(s) and the Malibu dealer(s) near Kansas City.
Old     (foilboy)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-03-2008, 8:31 PM Reply   
Sam.
As far as MC goes we bought 2 from Marine World in Wichita. Outstanding sales and service. A great experience both times. Wichita is only 3 hours from KC, a short drive and its worth it for
first class service like Marine World. Ask for Mike, He will take great care of you.
Sam if you want to demo an Xstar I have an 08.
Let me know if you want to go out for a ride.
We ride everyday after work. Be glad to give you a ride.

(Message edited by foilboy on July 03, 2008)
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-04-2008, 7:24 AM Reply   
I ride on a river, and have never had a problem turning any of the Bu's, VLX, LSV, or 247 with the wedge down and weighted. Maybe it's just all that time I spent driving on private lakes for ball chasers.
Old     (silvio4)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-04-2008, 12:25 PM Reply   
Thanks for the offer Bob, but we are actually going to test drive one next week. Thanks for the info though about Marine World. That helps.
Old     (wakefish)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-04-2008, 2:06 PM Reply   
River is a big difference from an delta slough. My bu like to track straight with he wedge down.but turns on a dime with it up.
Old     (ridesdirt)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-04-2008, 8:22 PM Reply   
MC
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-05-2008, 4:52 PM Reply   
Sam,
You should go out with Bob. The more time you spend on the boat the better feel you'll get for it and if it's right for your family.

What dealer are you going out with or the test drive?

I'm guessing your looking to get the Malibu from Smithville Marine?