Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old                07-04-2006, 6:46 AM Reply   
I've just been introduced to wakeboarding and I had the chance to go cable wakeboarding twice for a short period now. The first time was painful for a short week but especially after the second time I can't wait for the next time anymore!

Before I'm going to go for it again, I decided to read up a bit first. Because of the cable I have to deal with almost 90 degree corners, which all have been very painful so far ;-)
When standing I can't think of anything else than to prepare for the corner to come, leaving me with almost no time to play around with the steering basics. Because of this I was trying to find me a basic tutorial dealing with this matter. Almost all tutorials I was able to find seem to leave out this part though. They all go from standing straight to the tricks. Can steering be considered that self-explanatory? It seems to me that it's kind of an essential part of wakeboarding, isn't it? ;-) I can imagine that talking about such things isn't the most exciting thing to do but I think it will be highly appreciated by fellow beginners.

Are there tutorial available which cover this matter? Can you give me some basic info so I know a bit better what my options are before I start going for headaches again? :-D

I hope you can enlighten me, many thanks in advance.
Old    alanp            07-06-2006, 8:49 PM Reply   
age i would start another post with the title
"help with corners on the cable" youll probably get more response. ive never ridden cable so i cant help you much however a different title may drum up some more interest. good luck
btw ask some of the guys the park, if they are like most wakeboarders they are more than willing to help out.
Old                07-07-2006, 2:11 AM Reply   
Thank you for the suggestion. However, the reason I didn't specifically made this a cable issue was because I'm interested in the basics of maneuvering. I figured if I get to know that I would stand more chance with all the rest, including cable corners.
I realize that cable corners can be considered a completely different ball game, if I won't succeed the next try, I'll start a new topic about that.

There where a number of people there before, but most of them found it difficult to explain what to do in the corner because they all had their right foot in front while I have my left foot in front. The corners make a 90 degree turn to the left and I can't seem to get far enough to the right before entering the corner and thus loosing all the traction.

(Message edited by prodoc on July 07, 2006)
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-07-2006, 7:58 AM Reply   
Age, that is a tough one for regular riders on the typical counter-clockwise cable. You need to make a toe-side cut to the outside. I recommend straightening your left (front) leg, bending your right knee, and putting weight on the balls of your right foot. Keep your back straight and don't bend over at the waist. This should get your edging to the outside.

When you hit the corner you need to switch from the toeside edge back to the heelside. Don't edge against the cable at the corner or it will yank you over. Also you need to find the sweet spot on the corner. Too far to the inside you get slack and then yanked. Too far outside, you get yanked. Somewhere in between and it's smooth.

Or you could just learn to ride switch. :-)
Old                07-08-2006, 3:20 AM Reply   
Thank you for the explanation John.
You said not to bend over at the waist. Are you saying that I have to be leaning backwards instead of having my upper body vertical? Also, what do you mean exactly by 'Don't edge against the cable'?
Sorry, the answers might seem obvious but I'm not a native English speaker, I'm asking just in case I'm misinterpreting anything.

I thought about a ride switch but I think I prefer to get through the corners without it first. If I manage this I don't have to concentrate on the corners as much anymore as I do now. Leaving me with more time to start learning tricks, including a ride switch.

I'll sure be trying your method next monday, I'll keep you informed about my progressions! ;-)
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-10-2006, 10:18 AM Reply   
Upper body vertical is fine. When beginners want to cut toe-side they usually bend over at the waist and lean forward. I'm saying don't do that.

When I say don't edge against the cable I am talking about when you go around the corner. When the cable goes slack and then pulls tight, you don't want to be fighting against the cable. That's the point where you want to switch from your toe-side edge (which is against the cable) to your heelside edge.
Old                07-10-2006, 11:43 AM Reply   
I gave it a go again today...and failed...
Getting far enough to the right wasn't a problem anymore, thank you for that. I'm now able to get through the corner now without being yanked off the board, which is already a big improvement, not to mention less painful, from my point of view ;-)
The next time I'll have to work on switching position earlier. I found my self being dragged on my back after the corner a couple of times because I was unable to stabilize myself, or the board.

Because I was only able to go wakeboarding for an hour I didn't have much chance to try enough. Every failed attempt mains walking back for a small 10 minutes :-( and I had to stop trying two times beforehand because there was someone else lying in the corner.
I'm positive I'll succeed the next time though, with my right foot in front if not with my left.
Old     (mike_mclin)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-13-2006, 3:29 PM Reply   
I woulodn't recommend riding the cable until you feel comfortable maneuvering around back and forth on a wakeboard. The tips given above are all true. One good thing to do at the cable park is watch the other more experienced riders. Watch how they carve intot he corners. See how they position their bodies and boards. Notice where they shift there weight.

As far as fundamentals instruction goes (I have never mentioned The Book on here because I had a part in creating it...BUT), The Book DVD Series is the only instructional source I know of that covers this stuff. That is probably why our best selling DVDs are "Getting Started" and "Building a Foundation" (because nobody ever covers that stuff). Both of these concentrate on the very basics and physics that make up wakeboarding. No matter how advanced you are or want to become, it all comes down to the same simple building blocks, and thats what these DVDs are about. I am not sure if I am allowed to post a link in this forum, but I am sure you can find out more info on our series using a google search.