Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-21-2006, 12:07 PM Reply   
I see a few boats with these on. Do they decrease noise a little bit because they are turned down? Or is it mostly just bling?

I wondered if it might be a poor man's Fresh Air exhaust (or a rich man's, depending on how much they cost). Can they be mounted on any inboard and are they difficult to install?
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-21-2006, 12:08 PM Reply   
I'm talking about these.

Upload
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-21-2006, 12:29 PM Reply   
Just there for the "bling" factor. They might slightly change the exhaust sound but I doubt it. Im not sure about whats required to retrofit them but shouldnt require to much work.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-21-2006, 2:43 PM Reply   
I do like the bling factor of those.....
it pains me to see that nice malibu all beat up and sitting in the elements like that....
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-21-2006, 3:07 PM Reply   
Yeah bling is good. I like the MC straight tips better then the Bu turn-down style but to each their own.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       02-21-2006, 4:22 PM Reply   
The bling factor is covered by the swimstep.

Whats the point??
Old     (leykis1o1)      Join Date: May 2005       02-21-2006, 4:26 PM Reply   
im sure you get the gurgle exhouast sound too...may sound cool
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-21-2006, 4:31 PM Reply   
Jon-its all about the on-trailer bling. Your trailer isnt rolling on dubz ?

(Message edited by iagainsti on February 21, 2006)
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-21-2006, 5:09 PM Reply   
Malibu has straight tips as well. Most claim the only noise difference is at half plane or surf speeds when straight tips send the exhaust tone to the wake and it echos or bounces back to the boat. Also some say that they make a difference surfing while others do not, so that is still up in the air.

As for installation, from what I have heard it is more difficult than appears. There was info on the install on the old Malibu Boat Owners site now wakesiderides.com that went into detail on what is involved to install them on both Vdrives and Ddrives.

Upload
Old     (buguru)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-25-2006, 3:34 PM Reply   
Install of the tips are not that difficult. It sure dress's up the back.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-26-2006, 1:13 PM Reply   
I've noticed my Wakesetter (without turn downs) gets quite loud at mid-plane. Then quite again at full-plane. I think they would help that mid area.
And sides-that....Bling Bling...
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       02-26-2006, 1:17 PM Reply   
According to Malibu their noise reduction is 2 dB lower for the driver 1 dB for the surfer, so it's really just bling; and nice looking bling for that matter.

Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-26-2006, 1:33 PM Reply   
Every 3db the volume level doubles, so that should be 66% quiter, for the driver.
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-26-2006, 3:13 PM Reply   
It's supposed to help prevent sending exhaust fumes straight back to a surfer behind the boat and to decrease the volume of the exhaust rumble a bit. Not quite as advanced as the Centurion sideswipe, but better than shooting the exhaust straight back.

But yeah, I just got 'em 'cause they look sweet.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-26-2006, 3:17 PM Reply   
Craig,

I think you are confusing sound level and power level.

3db is equal to a doubling in power, 2db is the change required for most human ears to notice a difference in volume. Rules of thumb... You may notice volume knobs have 2db dentents printed on them.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-26-2006, 10:37 PM Reply   
Mike,

I had to do some Google'ing. You are correct. SPL doubles with every 3db, though, that's not a perceived doubling of volume level. As I now understand it, a 10db increase is the point where sound subjectively appears to have doubled in volume.

So yes, quite insignificant the turn downs would be. Thank you.

Craig
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-27-2006, 7:48 AM Reply   
For three and a half bills, I'd make my own!

Talk about a rip off...
Old     (festivus)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-27-2006, 8:13 AM Reply   
they are standard with the 8.1 option.
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-27-2006, 10:59 AM Reply   
my friend had those on his VLX and it was very loud....too loud...
Old     (mikea)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-27-2006, 3:57 PM Reply   
malibu is also offering the STE exhaust
which has a "turned down" to them plus a baffle that is supposed to reduce the sound on a direct drive...

i think they look better.
Old     (larrys)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-27-2006, 8:13 PM Reply   
The standard for the 8.1 looks like this. I think they are a nice compromise between the straight and complete turn downs.

Upload
Old     (joe1975)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-27-2006, 8:54 PM Reply   
I am currently working on a trick exhaust outlet for my 22ve. The process is simple to remove the old exhaust tips if you have the right tools. First "break the silicon" sealant on the inside of the boat. Then unscrew the screws that hold the flapper and and the exhaust tip on. Now insert a slide hammer into the exhuast ports and ram away- they should come out on the 5th or 6th pull. You can purchase shiny chrome tips (that go straight out) for about $80 a piece online. Make sure that you put a flapper inline, or buy tips that have a built in flapper to avoid water injestion into the engine.

The tips that i am working on will leave the boat and extend 1.5 feet towards the gunwhale of the boat....mainly a looks thing....I cant decide on chrome or powdercoating them to match the boat.

Here's the link to the tips that you can purchase
http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=317

(Message edited by joe1975 on February 27, 2006)