Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (phili)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-01-2004, 3:14 PM Reply   
PA is set to ban wake surfing.
Lets do what we can to stop them!!
http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fish_Boat/babagd04mar.pdfhttp://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fish_Boat/babagd04mar.pdfhttp://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fish_Boat/babagd04mar.pdf}
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-02-2004, 1:25 PM Reply   
Those people suck!!! So those to choose to wake surf in PA will be joining the ranks of "gas huffers" performing their fun illegally...evil, pure evil. I noticed that Hyperlite had this disclosure on their products description and was wondering what was up "One more thing--you probably are already aware of this, but Hyperlite recommends that you read your boat owner's manual before riding your Broadcast behind your watercraft. Prolonged exposure to boat engine exhaust can unpleasant health concerns, so remain aware of where you're riding in relation to the boat stern. Now go have fun." Can't a person just have fun!!! Good luck in PA but I suspect this cancer will spread :-(.
Old     (inland_surfer)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-02-2004, 8:16 PM Reply   
Thanks for the heads up. I've know that a law was coming from Penn. but none of us have been able to do anything about it yet. Perhaps you might take the lead in contacting the Penn. legislators to try to encourage a change before this goes into effect. So far we have been able to convince most interested agencies that the correct way to stop platform dragging (teak surfing) is to make it illegal to touch, use, or be on, the swim step while the motor is running. The data also supports the fact that this 20' rule does little other than virtually outlaw, or at the minimum significantly impact all forms of boat related watersports, effectively throwing out the baby with the bath water. The California Legislators have maintained an open ear to the data and took the 20' rule out of their AB 2222 which does indeed implement the don't touch the swim step with the motor running rule. Right now NASBLA is in the process of reconsidering their 20' rule and will hopefully follow the data and California by removing it. After 4-5 independent tests of CO and ski boats we have pretty much isolated the trouble spot which is directly behind the exhaust ports and close to the boat. All other readings are in the acceptable ranges. The problem is that this 20' rule went under the radar for long enough for Penn. to move faster than others. I have copied all of the above interested parties in the hope that we all might try to form a unified voice on eradicating these senseless CO related injuries and deaths by promoting a real solution which is the current CA AB 2222 bill. WSIA is currently working with the boat manufacturers along with the state of California to formulate a warning label that will carry a clear message that will accomplish our goals. The trick is going to be to get Penn and any other state considering a law on this topic to get the message and implement the correct solution, not an ineffective 20' rule.
Please let me know if you can be of any help in getting the message to Penn.
Old    sharrington            07-06-2004, 1:54 PM Reply   
We're DOOMED!!! How do we fight this??? (see response to my note from the PA boating commission:

The Commission adopted the regulation prohibiting the use of Waterski tow ropes of less than 20 feet at its April meeting. The regulation will go into effect on January 1, 2005.

John F. Simmons, Director
Bureau of Boating and Education
Pa Fish and Boat Commission
717-705-7830
josimmons@state.pa.us
Old    hyperryd            07-06-2004, 4:44 PM Reply   
I said it in another post. Use a 21' rope attached to the tower and pull your self into the pocket. It's not that far. Just a thought.
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-06-2004, 8:06 PM Reply   
if you put a 21 foot rope on a tower you will see just how short it is...i had a 20 ft "wakesurf" rope and actually added length bc it was so close to the boat when on the tower. Don't worry i surf in pa all the time and have no problems. And even if they stop me they can measure my rope all they want it is over 20ft. if they wanted to ban it they should have said you cannot do any sport that is less than 20 ft from the back of the boat...
Old    sharrington            07-07-2004, 5:49 AM Reply   
We're DOOMED on LAke Wallenpaupack in PA!! How do we fight this?

The Commission adopted the regulation prohibiting the use of Waterski tow ropes of less than 20 feet at its April meeting. The regulation will go into effect on January 1, 2005.

John F. Simmons, Director
Bureau of Boating and Education
Pa Fish and Boat Commission
717-705-7830
josimmons@state.pa.us
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-07-2004, 7:27 AM Reply   
I live on Wallenpaupack and work at a local marina. Don't worry too much, as I said just use a longer rope and make sure the weight is below your boats capacity and you are fine...
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-07-2004, 7:29 AM Reply   
not to change the subject, but Scott where on the lake are you? I live on the north end near the dam and work at The Boat Shop. I have not seen anyone else wakesurfing out here on the lake although the shop has sold a few wakesurfers.
Old    sharrington            07-07-2004, 1:23 PM Reply   
Wkerat,

I live about mid lake on West side. Own a Cobalt that I purchased from Roy Sr. at your shop, and recently spoke to Roy Jr about a wakeboard boat I plan to buy next year. I've only wakesurfed a few times behind my neighbors SAN, but hope to get into it big time for something to do during the day. As you know, the lake develops too much chop on the weekends to the point where you have to get all your wakeboarding in before 10am and near dusk. What do you think of the 23 LSV as a boat for wakeboarding/wakesurfing?
Old    sharrington            07-07-2004, 1:31 PM Reply   
Wkerat, Are you Jr?
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-07-2004, 4:52 PM Reply   
yeah Scott its me, name is same as the plate on my car, lol. Anyway, I know all the loopholes in the law since i saw the complete copy so don't worry about any problems on Wallenpaupack, at least as of yet. The new lsv is great for wakesurfing (although it does throw a slightly better wake for goofy riders). If i recall your neighbor has an older air right? The lsv wake is really nice, actually slightly larger and wider than the vlx (boat I have) but it is slightly different. With a little extra weight it can get really insane. If you want either e-mail me or give me a call and we can try to catch up and I can get you in a vlx so you can see how it is (wakes are very similar although the new vlx wake is said to be considerably larger). Also, I have 4 boards of my own and all the ones in the shop that you can demo if you want.

Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-09-2004, 8:28 AM Reply   
have there been a lot of accidents in PA is that why they are banning wakesurfing there?
Old     (inland_surfer)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-13-2004, 1:43 PM Reply   
Hear is some info I got from the bureau of boating commission of PA

The PA Fish & Boat Commission passed a regulation as follows: "It is
unlawful to operate a motorboat at any speed with a person or persons
sitting, riding or hanging on a swim platform or swim ladder attached to
the motorboat." This regulation has not yet gone into effect but will
do so this Summer or early Fall.
Old     (itsme)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-13-2004, 2:03 PM Reply   
Here's a question for you guys-

When you are wakesurfing, techincally you are not using a rope. Nor are you holding on to any part of the boat.
SO-
Does this really qualify as waterskiing?
What is the ruling from the state of PA for gliding behind a boat while standing on a board?
Old    dbogart            07-16-2004, 12:59 PM Reply   
guys, clue me in as to what "wakesurfing" is.

we use to take a surfboard and actually surf the wake of the boat, no ropes needed after you pulled up to the wake.

is this wakesurfing?
Old    dbogart            07-16-2004, 1:02 PM Reply   
nevermind guys-saw the pics.....yup, its what i thought it was.