Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeskating

Old     (norwalkbeast)      Join Date: May 2011       06-07-2012, 10:08 PM Reply   
What are some decent shoes to use for wakeskating? Im not looking for the most expensive pair. Is there good alternatives to use besides actual wakeskate shoes? I'm just looking for suggestions and good places to look to get some.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-07-2012, 10:18 PM Reply   
Thin skate shoes. Padding soaks up too much water and makes them heavy.

Vans Chukka Lows are great
Old     (wvidal)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-22-2012, 11:39 PM Reply   
I got a pair of these and they work great. A lot of the online shops have them on clearance

Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-23-2012, 3:50 AM Reply   
What size do you need? I may have some I'll make you a deal on.
Old     (Phoenix_Winch)      Join Date: Jan 2011       07-09-2012, 10:46 AM Reply   
the best shoe IMO is the DC AT-2
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-10-2012, 8:42 AM Reply   
I use non-wakeskate shoes and love them! I use a foam top skate, so I don't worry about destroying the tops of them via griptape. Before you ask, I get just as good of grip, if not better than a griptape skate. They remind me of older DVS schoes.

Saucony Jazz Low Pro

Old     (LKASurfing)      Join Date: Nov 2011       07-11-2012, 6:38 AM Reply   
I run Kustom Amphibian's !!!
Old     (travisz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-20-2012, 1:33 PM Reply   
DVS and Liduid Force did a Co-Lab and made a mesh top hard sole.. Would you like me to see if I can get them for you?
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       08-20-2012, 3:47 PM Reply   
have you guys heard of Mints? Just grabbed a pair a few weeks ago. They seem to be the perfect thing for wakeskating.
getmints.com, or they have them at The Liquid Playground in the SF Bay Area.
Old    RWmedia            01-17-2014, 9:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrie141 View Post
I use non-wakeskate shoes and love them! I use a foam top skate, so I don't worry about destroying the tops of them via griptape. Before you ask, I get just as good of grip, if not better than a griptape skate. They remind me of older DVS schoes.

Saucony Jazz Low Pro

Hey how do the shoes work in the water? Soggy/heavy or fine?
And do they smell when you dry them out?
Thanks!
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       01-18-2014, 12:29 PM Reply   
Like Mitch said, any skate shoes will work just fine. If you are worried on price just head to payless and find some chuck taylors for real cheap or anything we no foam/water absorbing material.

Those mint shoes are horrible for wakeskating.. Griptape would tear those apart your first set on the water. might be ok if you are riding a foam top board but bring some ear plugs as I imagine they would squeak every time you move your feet

Those Sandbar series DVS shoes would feel the same way.. fine for just crusing around but try riding a griptape board with them and you will tear right through the mesh.

DVS Rico Cts work great and you can usually find a deal on them if you look around.
A lot of riders swear by Nikes.. the Janoskis are popular along with the Braatas.
A few different skate companies like Globe and Etnies have shoes that will work as well.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       01-21-2014, 2:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWmedia View Post
Hey how do the shoes work in the water? Soggy/heavy or fine?
And do they smell when you dry them out?
Thanks!
They definitely get soggy and a little heavier, but it was nothing that really ever got in the way of my riding. I only used them for wakeskating, so they never really got a chance to smell, just make sure to let them air dry outside. Like others have said though, just pick some cheap skate shoes that don't have much thick material and you should be good to go.