Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 18, 2006

Old    dukeboy            06-04-2006, 3:55 PM Reply   
Thinking about a riding trip with family/friends to Bullards Bar for a few days. I'm totally new to this area...never been. Any recommendations from WW users for camping areas at BB? How are the facilities, marina, gas, etc.?

Thanks!
Old     (heem)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-04-2006, 4:33 PM Reply   
We just spent 3 days there over Memorial Day and had a blast despite the cold weather. We camped at Garden Point, anchored the boat in a small cover just to the right of the main area as you approach the campground.

If you are coming in Hwy 49 from Nevada City and plan to launch at Dark Day make sure your tow vehicle and trailer brakes are in good working order. Road winds a bit and tends to be a bit steep.

Each site Garden Point had table, fire ring with grill and a Klondike stove (ours was filled with trash). The Marina was close to the campground and during our trip gas was about $3.89/gallon. You cannot get a fishing liscense at the marina but the little store has most all the necessities like ice, beer, soda, sunblock, some food, etc.

Still some debris in the water but no bad. Water was cold but tolerable with out a wet suit.

This was my first time as well and had no problems. Here are a couple of pics from our trip. You will love it.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    dukeboy            06-04-2006, 7:18 PM Reply   
Jim-Thanks for info and pics! It looks awesome up there. Glad you had a good time. The gas price doesn't seem that bad considering it's at the lake. I can't wait!
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-04-2006, 8:06 PM Reply   
The campgrounds are pretty good as well.....But the pit/vault toilets stink really bad.And was suprised to find decent water on a 3-day weekend. The debri was really bad in spots only I thought. But I ride the river so I'm alway's looking out for stuff. If you come from Sac/Marysville area there is a gas station right off of hwy 20. They carry alot of stuff in case you forget anything.
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       06-05-2006, 9:11 AM Reply   
Jim - Did you leave your boats in the water all the time or just during the day? Could you actually see your boat from your campsite?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-05-2006, 11:19 AM Reply   
we're planning a bullards bar camping trip this summer...this thread will definitely help! thanks all!
Old     (trojanman)      Join Date: May 2002       06-05-2006, 11:40 AM Reply   
Joe... keep me in the loop brotha.. i have been wanting to hit bullards up for a couple of years now, and if your gonna put something together, then Kari, Bob, the X2, and about 150 beers, and I, are all in!! hope all is well in the northern wasteland!
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-05-2006, 11:50 AM Reply   
Renee,
There are some good spots in Dark Day that you can easily see your boat in the water. I love Bullards, it's a beautiful place.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-05-2006, 11:53 AM Reply   
That place is dope, although we got rained out early in the year on a houseboat trip last year. I don't know anything about the campsites, but the houseboats are nice. Water water depths. We ran the houseboat aground in the middle of the lake last year. Luckily no harm, but it got us kinda freaked. We were litteraly in the middle of one of the biggest bays. The island was totally un-marked.
Old    dukeboy            06-05-2006, 11:54 AM Reply   
Kind of an odd question, but for some reason I'm kind of an odd guy. How's the Sheriff's patrol around BB? Are they really out in force? Are the sticklers on every detail (related to boating, camping, wakeboarding, wakesurfing, etc.)?
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-05-2006, 12:00 PM Reply   
Been there a few times, never really paid much attention to the fuzz but don't recall seeing much of them. Never went on a busy holiday weekend either.
Old     (jaybird)      Join Date: May 2006       06-05-2006, 1:22 PM Reply   
I have been camping on BB for ten years and can only say I have seen the FUZZ twice BUT... they stop me once.
Jay
Old     (awf_axis)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-05-2006, 1:31 PM Reply   
We were just out there on Saturday (June 3rd), and I was not happy about all the debris. Ended up with a bent prop on a submerged branch or log.

Not my year!
Old    dukeboy            06-05-2006, 4:57 PM Reply   
Dave-Sorry to hear about the prop/debris. Is this always normal for BB this time or year? How long do you expect to see debris on BB?
Old     (screaminsacs)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-05-2006, 11:03 PM Reply   
We spent all of Sunday out there, and the logs were pretty bad, it's difficult when you have sun in your eyes and looking out for debris, plus your rider. We did a few rides but mainly we took the long scenic drive down the back to the pump house where the walking bridge is and hiked up to the waterfall, if you get a chance to check it out it is worth it. You have to go soon before the water level drops so usually by late July you can't make it back there. Cops are great out at Bullards, never had any issues, it's a laid back area.
Old     (screaminsacs)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-05-2006, 11:12 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Old     (dcdman67)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-06-2006, 3:51 AM Reply   
We take a trip up to Bullards every year. This year we are campin down at horswaggle campground 7/9-7/13. Bout 30-50 peeps from Chico lookin to have a good time. Hit us up if you wanna have some fun!!!!
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-07-2006, 12:13 AM Reply   
Over the 3 day weekend we had ranger's walking/driving around notifying everyone about the 10 o'clock quite time but no issues other than that.And you can rent slips at the marina for 15 bucks a night I think it was. And anyone from Sac area it is only like 1.5 hrs up there super easy drive until about the last 15 miles.Then it gets into some pretty good climbs.
Old     (heem)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-08-2006, 8:48 AM Reply   
Renee V,

Sorry for the late response, out of town. We left the boat in the water the entire weekend. Couldn't quite see it from the campsite but no more than a few second walk to see our baby. There were 4 other boats other than the ones you can see in the pic, no problems. From the campsite we were at there is no choice but to leave your boat in the water.

As far as the Sheriff is concerned, we saw him twice. Second time we chatted for about an hour, made some friends and will see him at the end of July. Needless to say he is quite personalble and easy going. Bullards is great, we had no issues with major debris, lucky I guess.

Sessions-if you don't already, have a second anchor setup with you. We used ours at the campsite but could have used another to anchor in some coves for time to relax, eat lunch, listen to music, etc. It's easier than constantly moving the boat due to currents.
Old     (sarandoug)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-09-2006, 2:49 PM Reply   
cool pic's, we've been meaning to go to BB for the past 2 summers however camping seems the only option for lodging and the wife despises vaulted toilets... Any word about Oroville, is the water way up? If so, prob lots of debris... We're planning a couple of trips up their this summer. Any suggestions on where to stay or camp? Someone told me that the north end of the lake @ lime saddle was pretty cool.. And if so, can you leave your ride in the water over night?
Old     (shellyrn)      Join Date: May 2006       06-09-2006, 2:55 PM Reply   
The water at O'ville is up to and above the grass line. This translates into no where for the debris to go, so there is still a bit out there. Doable but you have to be very aware. Not sure of the camp thing there. I know there are floating campsites and some regular on the Lime saddle side. Not sure what kind of facilities they have.
Old     (millah)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-14-2006, 8:29 AM Reply   
I'm heading up to bullards this Friday June 16th. We will be there for a week. Were staying in schoolhouse since we are bringing the RV. The bad thing is you have to launch everyday. Bullards water is well worth it.
Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-14-2006, 1:12 PM Reply   
How far back is the bridge and pump house. I went far back on monday. Is it in the no wake area?
Old     (millah)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-14-2006, 1:25 PM Reply   
Bullards at the schoolhouse has mostly flush toilets theres just one vaulted toilet out of 5 or so.
Old     (screaminsacs)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-14-2006, 1:34 PM Reply   
It's way in the back of the "no wake zone" you'll know when you are there because you will hear it, it's pretty loud and you'll see the water flowing in (left hand side) find a spot to anchor, and put on some water shoes, you can hike up to the pump house and you will see the bridge above, keep following the creek up and you will come to a huge waterfall,
The kids wished they had brought some poles because they found a couple of huge fish land locked and nowhere to go. Would have liked to catch and release them back in the river.