Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (nechay)      Join Date: May 2005       10-23-2015, 7:18 AM Reply   
want to buy used wake/surf boat 21-23" not older 2012. To ride by lakes. Have expirience with only screw motors. What you can suggest screw or jet?
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-23-2015, 7:30 AM Reply   
If you're going to surf.. get a v-drive.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-23-2015, 7:33 AM Reply   
A prop boat with a V-Drive or D-Drive is better than a jet as the wake will be firmer and cleaner. One of the new Forward Drive Volvo sterndrives would be fine also, but they did not have those in 2012.
An Outboard or regular Sterndrive with a prop would be unsafe.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-23-2015, 12:04 PM Reply   
If u end up thinking about a reverse drive I/O, make sure you are comfortable with the fact that you can't run in less than 4 feet of water.....
Old     (nechay)      Join Date: May 2005       10-23-2015, 12:36 PM Reply   
thanks all, i like v-drive / d-drive better than jet but afriad to crash screw- wings by bottom of lake if there's no docks. how to pick up people just from cost?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-23-2015, 1:42 PM Reply   
How close you can get to shore depends on the slope of the beach you are coming in on. The steeper the better. If it's shallow you may have to stay out or walk it in. Ultimately, that's what depth sounders and someone standing in the front of the boat are for.
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-23-2015, 3:14 PM Reply   
Jets are for jetskis, v-drives are for towboats!
Old     (RAMZAK)      Join Date: Aug 2014       10-25-2015, 7:13 PM Reply   
What is a screw motor?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-25-2015, 9:40 PM Reply   
First developed by Archimedes, the screw drive was designed to pump water to a higher elevation. The Great Britain was the first ocean liner to utilize a screw design although the British Navy had built a ship using this technique. They take a portion of a screw and use it as a method of propelling a water craft, hence, the name propellor. Technically a motor is electric and not internal combustion, but common usage is different.
Short answer is: any engine with a prop.

Last edited by rallyart; 10-25-2015 at 9:42 PM.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-12-2015, 10:34 AM Reply   
Jet drives make awful towboats. Don't do it.
Old     (Nautical)      Join Date: Mar 2013       02-14-2016, 8:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by srock View Post
Jet drives make awful towboats. Don't do it.
Yamaha is REALLY trying hard with ballast, a rudder and cruise control. What I'm waiting to see is how these I/Os with the Volvo forward drive fully pitted against a true wake boat. You know they're going to try and win a contest with one so they can get on the board at least.
Old     (Nautical)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-06-2016, 3:18 PM Reply   
Anyone have any knowledge or opinion on the 2016 Yamaha 242X-E? This one claims 1400 pounds of ballast and contest quality wakes for surfing and wakeboard. Out of the non-inboard options, this one looks to be the best. I know the rule here is inboard or go home but I'm not going to be entering any contests either. I just want the ability to do it, if possible, without buying a dedicated inboard wake boat.
Old     (302_Rider)      Join Date: Oct 2015       04-06-2016, 5:02 PM Reply   
I'm not trying to be a hater here. But if you want to wakeboard and surf why would you want to get a boat that is trying to keep up. Why not get a boat that does it very well. I am not going pro or anything the but the ease of use with the integrated ballast and surf systems is where it's at. 1400lbs isn't all that much and wouldn't make much of a surf wake from my experience. My boat has 3500lbs plus a wedge. I don't think a jet drive can efficiently move that much mass. Growing up my parents owned a sea doo x20 and it did the job but to get a huge wake it took a ton of weight and destroyed fuel economy. I am sorry I just don't see how you would benefit from it in the water sports industry
Old     (Nautical)      Join Date: Mar 2013       04-17-2016, 4:29 PM Reply   
Well you guys were right (not that I had too many doubts). I test drove the Yamaha 242 EX (or whatever - it was their fully loaded surf pkg). Before we got started I asked the salesman where he would rate this boat doing watersports against a top of the line inboard like a Mastercraft (and the like) and he said it would produce a wake 85% as good. That sounded like enough for me but after seeing the wake at surf and wakeboard speeds with and without the ballast bags full (surprisingly not much difference) I can see where it's lacking. I won't even give it a number since I don't know exactly what the perfect wake looks like firsthand but it didn't look like it would be too satisfying for anybody here. Even if one were satisfied with the lethargic wake, the jet wash was almost the width of the boat and very long and I can see it being a major distraction for someone. I also feel a surfer would not be able to cross it. The boat was nice otherwise but not worth the over $70K sticker price (and they claimed NO discounts available). It was quieter than the Chaparral Vortex but still kind of loud.

What I need to do is get some lessons and figure out if I need a wake boat at all. If anyone on Lake Norman can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.
Old     (jclimie)      Join Date: Aug 2015       04-17-2016, 5:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautical View Post
Well you guys were right (not that I had too many doubts). I test drove the Yamaha 242 EX (or whatever - it was their fully loaded surf pkg). Before we got started I asked the salesman where he would rate this boat doing watersports against a top of the line inboard like a Mastercraft (and the like) and he said it would produce a wake 85% as good. That sounded like enough for me but after seeing the wake at surf and wakeboard speeds with and without the ballast bags full (surprisingly not much difference) I can see where it's lacking. I won't even give it a number since I don't know exactly what the perfect wake looks like firsthand but it didn't look like it would be too satisfying for anybody here. Even if one were satisfied with the lethargic wake, the jet wash was almost the width of the boat and very long and I can see it being a major distraction for someone. I also feel a surfer would not be able to cross it. The boat was nice otherwise but not worth the over $70K sticker price (and they claimed NO discounts available). It was quieter than the Chaparral Vortex but still kind of loud.

What I need to do is get some lessons and figure out if I need a wake boat at all. If anyone on Lake Norman can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Danny at Southtown water sports. In Charlotte.
Old     (355spider)      Join Date: Aug 2015       05-01-2016, 9:24 PM Reply   
I had a 23ft Season jet boat. Awful to get pulled behind.
Old     (Presutti)      Join Date: Feb 2016       05-02-2016, 6:42 PM Reply   
I would go look at the moombas if your looking for a nice priced boat.