Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-24-2011, 8:33 AM Reply   
Hi,

I already have an pheonix gold rsd 500.4 amp, connected (bridged) to a pair of kicker kmt6.

I want to add either one or two others kmt6 to my setup.

Is it possible to do with my current amplifier? How should i hook it up to my setup, considering I want to avoid getting another pair of wires up the tower?

thanks

Link for the amp specs:

http://reviews.cnet.com/car-amplifie...html?tag=specs
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-24-2011, 9:15 AM Reply   
I'd get another amp.

For the speaker wires you could tape (really good) 2 wires to the wire currently installed and pull the wire out. The current wire would pull 2 wires through and viola, you now have 2 wires. You'd have to do this on each speaker, or side. If all the wires come out at the same location you could tape 4 wires and pull them through that way. I don't know what your setup looks like, but it should work.
Old     (Cajun_Misfit)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-24-2011, 9:25 AM Reply   
You have a few things to think about... You want to get the cleanest input to the speakers to get the best performance out of them. Personally I would run seperate wire to each of the speakers. The amp has 4 channels I would use them. If you were running 2 speakers you would want to bridge 2 channels together (i assume you have done now). Just be careful of overloading the amp. If the total RMS rating for the speakers is higher than that of the Amp you might have an issue. I've had amps cut off because the speakers were demanding more power than the Amp could provide; therefor going in to "protection mode".

Just my $.02

Good Luck

-Chris
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-24-2011, 11:30 AM Reply   
Read the information on this thread pay attention to Phil Whites post as he works for Kicker

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=773052

Your current amplifier will not accomidate the needs of the KMT6's if you add a couple more. You'd need a fairly high power 2 channel amp that offers 300x2 at 2ohms in order to serve the needs of 2 pair of them. The problem is that according to Phil they can present a 3 ohm load which in parallel would be 1.5 ohms. My solution would be the Alpine PDX 150.4
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-24-2011, 11:57 AM Reply   
What are you trying to accomplish by adding another single or pair of KTM6 pods?

I dont see the bridged mode specs for that amp, but based on its 2 ohm x 4 rating, I would speculate that it might be upwards of 270 x 2. This is good power for the KTM6, but as noted, your current amp will not power more properly. So, another amp would be needed.

If you are not getting the output you seek, and everything is tuned correctly, and as big of a fan as I am of the KTM6 for its bang for the buck performance, I would suggest maybe updating the whole setup.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-24-2011, 1:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
What are you trying to accomplish by adding another single or pair of KTM6 pods?
My guess is louder
Old    mojo            02-24-2011, 2:47 PM Reply   
in my personal opinion id not purchase another phoenix gold amp. i had them years ago in my car hen they were good. and had a couple in my boat a few years ago as well. they got the job done, but the materials used and the output kind of sucked. all my opinion.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-24-2011, 3:14 PM Reply   
I'd jump on a refurb Boston Acoustics GT-24 for $108 shipped before it's gone: http://www.bostonacoustics.com/GT-24...shed-P710.aspx
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-25-2011, 7:25 AM Reply   
That is a really good deal for the BA amp.

Phoenix gold used to be a premier product but over the years they have definitely not built the equipment like the used to. They are not the only amp mfgr to that that road.
Old     (iRIDEWAKES)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-25-2011, 9:53 AM Reply   
any thoughts on bulletlines krypt hlcd's?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-25-2011, 9:54 AM Reply   
PG lost their talent a long time ago. If you look at their new stuff it looks like they are trying to make an attempt to get back to their roots. With a deal like $108 bucks for the BA amp that will keep you off CL looking for stuff. You have to quit posting those bad links though.

Last edited by 05mobiuslsv; 02-25-2011 at 9:57 AM.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-25-2011, 11:55 AM Reply   
weird, bad link? Works for me. Just clicked it again to be sure.

Just go to bostonacoustics.com, click outlet find GT-24. Maybe I can't lead a horse to water, so I'll give him a map. LOL.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-25-2011, 12:21 PM Reply   
Worked for me the second time I tried it. Thats a killer deal and so is the GT-28 at $210 shipped.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-25-2011, 12:22 PM Reply   
Link works for me now, didn't the first time.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-25-2011, 12:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
Worked for me the second time I tried it. Thats a killer deal and so is the GT-28 at $210 shipped.
GT-28 is sold out tho.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-25-2011, 12:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by espritv8 View Post
Hi,

I already have an pheonix gold rsd 500.4 amp, connected (bridged) to a pair of kicker kmt6.

I want to add either one or two others kmt6 to my setup.

Is it possible to do with my current amplifier? How should i hook it up to my setup, considering I want to avoid getting another pair of wires up the tower?

thanks

Link for the amp specs:

http://reviews.cnet.com/car-amplifie...html?tag=specs
If you are bridged currently and runnig the KMT6's well you have half the battle done, (KMT6 has a dynamic load of 3-ohms, so each of your amp channels is really seeing about 1.5 ohms, not 2). Add the second pair, and then series wire them with the amp still in bridge mode. This keeps you from having to run additional wiring to the tower.

At this point after adding the second pair, you have a 6-ohm load on the amp per side. Each channel of the amp "sees" 3 ohms, and as a result you will be delivering about 110 watts to each speaker. You are currently only getting a little more power than that, due to the fact that you are basically current - limited the way the amp is wired.

Going this route will work, and it is the most affordable route. Your amp will run cooler and probably sound better too. We do not recommend bridging a 4-channel amp on a single pair of KMT6's per the thread that hatepain shared; it tends to kill amps, but if it is working for you, consider adding the speakers series wired...

If you have coin to spend, consider doubling the wire in the tower and using two stereo amps or a big 4-channel amp. I know that our ZX850.4 can deliver the kind of power you want and there are used examples out there.

Hopefully that is helpful!

Phil
Kicker

Last edited by philwsailz; 02-25-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-25-2011, 2:26 PM Reply   
Thanks phil, that was exactly what i wanted to do. Didn't know if it could be done.
I will use this current setup for now, and maybe upgrade in a near future for the kicker amp you mention.

Now, i guess that four times 110W will sound way louder that two times 150W, right?
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-17-2011, 7:54 PM Reply   
I really want to avoid getting another pair of wires up the tower. Last time was really a pain in the butt, for some reason, they would get stuck halfway up in my proflight tower.

Can i get a powerfull 2 channel amp, and mount 2 pair of kmt6 in series??
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-18-2011, 5:01 PM Reply   
Or in parralel?
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       04-18-2011, 5:18 PM Reply   
Wiring them in series will cause the amp to "see" the sum of the loads (i.e. 8 ohms for 2 speakers or 16 ohms for 4 speakers).

If wired in parallel (assuming all 4 ohm loads) it will "see" 2 ohms total for 2 speakers or 1 ohm total for 4 speakers.

You can do a combination of the two though. Wire each pair together in series then wire those two resulting loads together in parallel and you'll get a 4 ohm total load for 4 speakers.
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-23-2011, 7:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
You can do a combination of the two though. Wire each pair together in series then wire those two resulting loads together in parallel and you'll get a 4 ohm total load for 4 speakers.
To do that i really need a one channel amp or bridge a 2 channel into one if i understand correctly?

But really what i want to acheive is to get louder behind the boat while wakeboarding.

I might change my amp, but I don't think getting another two pair of wires up in the tower. Right now I'm looking to get two pairs, each in series into a 2 channel amp delivering around 2X400W @ 4 ohms.

I'm guessing adding a second pair would give a higher volume. Will it make a difference, or it wont get much louder with a second pair?