Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2008

Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-01-2008, 12:21 PM Reply   
I live in California and am looking at a boat in Arizona. Are there any additonal fees I have to pay in order to register it in CA?
Old     (collin)      Join Date: May 2002       04-01-2008, 12:28 PM Reply   
I don't know about California, but I live in Michigan and I bought a boat in Kentucky last summer. I just paid the price of the boat in Kentucky and paid for registration, tax, title, etc. at the sec of state in Michigan.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-01-2008, 12:30 PM Reply   
You will be charged a use tax, which is the equivalant of sales tax, when you register the boat in CA.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-01-2008, 1:15 PM Reply   
have the seller register it one more time in AZ...anythign registered in Cali is gonna cost you $$$$$$$
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-02-2008, 4:13 AM Reply   
I have bought 4 boats from CA and brought them to AZ. Not sure about the other way.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-02-2008, 7:02 AM Reply   
You are supposed to pay the tax in the state in which you purchased the boat in. For example, if you drive to Arizona to get the boat, you are to pay Arizona tax to the dealer. When you get back to California to register this should be noted on the bill of sale and you will not be double taxed.
Old     (lknboarder)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-02-2008, 7:04 AM Reply   
I bought a boat in FL and all I paid for is NC registration
Old     (larrys)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-02-2008, 7:22 AM Reply   
Jon,

This is not typical... When we sell a boat out of state we do not collect sales tax. The only way we could charge sales tax is if the boat was being registered in my state. We have an affidavit that has to be signed stating they took the boat our of state. As the buyer, depending ont he state you are returning to, you may or may not have to pay sales tax. Some states don't require sales tax if you purchased the boat boat from an individual in another state.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-02-2008, 8:11 AM Reply   
If its a used boat, you pay the tax where you register it. This varies on the state you live in though.

If its new, then you have to have a licensed transportation service or the dealer get it out of state for you otherwise you will have to pay sales tax to the state where you purchased the boat. Once you get it to your destination, you will have to pay sales tax but this again depends on the state.

(Message edited by cavlxenvy on April 02, 2008)
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-02-2008, 8:12 AM Reply   
pay AZ sales tax and register it there as a non resident
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-02-2008, 9:10 AM Reply   
The Use Tax is more like a personal property tax.
Old     (larrys)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-02-2008, 9:27 AM Reply   
Ryan,

That is not correct... at least for TN. We sell to out-of-state buyers all the time. The State require us to get a signed affidavit stating that it is leaving the state. And, we do not collect sales tax.

sdub,

Use Tax is not a personal property tax... Use tax is just like sales tax. Except, if you don't pay sales tax at the point of purchase, you are required to pay use tax at the point of delivery. This varies depending on a lot of factors.

When you purchase over the internet and are not charged sales tax because you are taking deliver out-of-state. You are required by law to report that and pay use tax on it. But, nobody does.

When the new streamlines sales taxes laws take effect. This all changes!!!
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-02-2008, 9:31 AM Reply   
I guess it depends on each state. What I said above is what the State of Arkansas says to do.
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-02-2008, 9:42 AM Reply   
in CA. the use tax is a type of personal property tax. you pay it every year,or every 2 yrs ( cant remember ). unlike sales tax you pay once.

they call it a Use Tax cuz Arnold cannot pronounce Personal Property Tax clearly.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-02-2008, 9:47 AM Reply   
^^^No, Larry is correct....use tax is the equal to sales tax on items purchased out of state and then brought into state. Personal property tax is just that, and is imposed by the county assessor based on where the boat is used/stored.
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-02-2008, 9:51 AM Reply   
I could of sworn that when I lived there, the county assessor labeled it "Use Tax" , not personal property tax, but I guess I dont remember so well. dang, I woulda bet on it!
Old     (larrys)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-02-2008, 11:51 AM Reply   
I may not be an expert, but I pay high dollar attorneys to give me good advice on "Sales and Use Tax" advice.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-02-2008, 2:39 PM Reply   
^^^^ Larry This is why I said it depends on the state. Please don't tell me I'm wrong. In California, a new boat has to be taken out of the state by a transportation company or the dealer and documented by the dealer and someone out of state that can vouch it was there. A used boat is TOTALLY different. You can grab a used boat no problem. Again, this is in California...

Old     (larrys)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-02-2008, 3:24 PM Reply   
Sorry Ryan!!! This is why I said "That is not correct... at least for TN." Your original statement didn't state CA only!

When people start getting offended when just trying to clarify the facts, it is time to move on...

I am out of this thread!
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-02-2008, 3:38 PM Reply   
Not offended Larry.

Never was. Been around this message board way too long to be offended. Sorry if you thought that.

Its hard to decipher tone through typing...

Old     (larrys)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-02-2008, 9:19 PM Reply   
No problem!
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-05-2008, 2:40 PM Reply   
whats up with all these states making the dealer collect the tax. In OK, you pay the tag agency your excise tax at the same tme you go get your registration.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-05-2008, 4:04 PM Reply   
I buy my boats in Nevada and register them where I live in Utah. I have to pay the sales tax in Utah when I register the boat and do NOT pay sales tax at the point of sale in Nevada. So that is how it is here.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-06-2008, 5:33 AM Reply   
So I'm going to pick up a used Supra in Wisconsin in a month - first used boat purchase (outside the family) and first inboard purchase.

Any good online resources for:
-Printable Bill-of-Sale?
I know in WI they don't have to register trailers so I need a seperate bill-of sale for the trailer. Then I'll need to register both boat and trailer in MN where I live.

-Everything else is done at the....sec of state office in courthouse?? DMV??
Old     (cougar1)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-06-2008, 8:56 AM Reply   
What you need to do is live in Colorado and buy a boat in Nebraska.... They registered boats and we register the trailer. So they can't collect sales tax and when you get back to Colorado, the County clerk only really cares about the trailer. I usually get two bills of sale just in case the loophole closes. How can they collect tax on something they don't care about? I have bought three boats and only paid sales tax on the trailer. I registered the boat with Park and game department, but that is just to received my CL numbers. Shhhh... don't tell Colorado department of Revenue because you are suppose to file the proper paperwork to pay use tax... but they have no enforcement and it is on the honor system. No thanks... 8.1% can take a hike.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-06-2008, 2:22 PM Reply   
I Live in California and just recently bought a boat in Arizona. You will need a bill of sale and certificate of number for the boat to be able to register it in Ca. When you go to the DMV you will be charged sales tax on whatever it says on the bill of sale. You will also need a bill of sale for the trailer. You can have one bill of sale for both but it must be stated on the bill of sale that it is for both. Doing this causes more headaches at DMV because they won't know what value to put with what. I also recommend printing out the Bill of Sale form off of the DMV website. I always print one out with all the fields filled out to the best of my knowledge so i didn't have to fill it out when i got there, but i'd also print out a blank one just in case.

here is the link to the bill of sale
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg135.pdf

good luck
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-06-2008, 2:52 PM Reply   
hey matthew, can you just guess on the trailer value? say you're buying a 30K boat that includes the trailer, can you just call it 28K for the boat and 2K for the trailer on the BOS?
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-06-2008, 6:15 PM Reply   
For DMV's purposes I would say yes. But again it will be much easier if you have one BOS for the boat and one for the trailer. You will still be charged tax on both items no matter how you do it.