Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (steve_b)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-12-2009, 5:51 AM Reply   
I am spending some time in northern Wisconsin and am wondering the temperature parameters for a Canon 7D. What is a safe operating temperature for this thing? It gets cold...like -10. I would assume having it outside for more than a couple minutes is not smart.
Anyone have experience in this ?
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-12-2009, 7:38 AM Reply   
Steve I was shooting at -13 the other day, shot for about 10 minutes, that was all I could take. 40D with flash, every thing seemed to work ok but like I said wasen't out long.

Upload
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-12-2009, 7:40 AM Reply   
Canon lists the operating temp as 32-104. One problem I've seen is taking any body/lens from a warm environment right into a cold one, fog on the glass internally.

I don't think it will hurt it if it drops below 32 it may just not work.

One other thing Canon lists is 85% humidity-I've actually seen the effects of shooting over that, I had tiny drops on my sensor shooting in the fog.

(Message edited by richd on December 12, 2009)
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-12-2009, 7:46 AM Reply   
Randy, you know you're becoming a hard core shooter when you're out in weather like that!Upload

Those snow shots look pretty good given how flat the light is. I like the flakes on the bird's head - nice touch.

(Message edited by richd on December 12, 2009)
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-12-2009, 7:47 AM Reply   
Rich I shot for about an hour yesterday morning in 20 degrees, no problems except for battery drain. Do you think this is bad for my camera?
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-12-2009, 7:59 AM Reply   
I've taken cams skiing all day in temps like that with no problems. I think even though the temp is low the cam never gets that cold. I've been told they get real sluggish when you get down into the lower limits. I left my 20D in the trunk all night once in Truckee at 8-10 degrees and it wouldn't turn on but was fine once it warmed up.

This Norcal bird looks a little happier then your guy!
Upload
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-13-2009, 12:03 AM Reply   
Yeah, I have definitely tested the cold weather limits of my camera. Last night I was out shooting snowboarding in single degree temps for several hours. At one point I looked to the back of my camera to find frost! (from my breath against the back as it was up to my face) But it still works like a champ. If you want to avoid battery drain or know your going to be out for a while I would suggest gaff taping hand warmers to your camera body (right where the batteries live) to help your camera perform in cold weather. I had my camera lock up once in negative temps but that camera still works well. I think condensation is your biggest worry. Just make sure to bring it up to a warmer temp before brining it inside. Like placing it in a warm car and bringing up the heat slowly. Hope that helps!
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-13-2009, 9:00 AM Reply   
Just bag it up before bringing it in the house or any warm area and take it out of the bag only once it has reached regular temperature. Otherwise, humidity will condensate on the inside...not good. I keep a small garbage bag in my pack and toss it in there.
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       12-23-2009, 8:25 AM Reply   
Ryan, I was just doin the same thing last night. Was out shooting some snowboarding for about five hours or so with my Canon T1i. The camera worked completely fine out in the cold. like you said, condensation is the biggest worry. so Steve, you should be fine (i'm in minnesota, right next door) as far as shooting in the cold goes. Just make sure that you leave your camera off for a while after you bring it in/warm it up gradually. You don't want to turn it on while there's still condensation inside/outside (duh).