Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-22-2005, 2:36 PM Reply   
I have a 13 x 14 4-blade LH prop driven by a 315hp Merc Mag MPI. The boat could be a little quicker when pulling out of the hole, especially when weighted with 1600 lbs of ballast. CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN PROP DIAMETER AND PITCH? Should I go smaller, less pitch? I'm not concerned about top end only the hole shot and up to 35 MPH.
TIA.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-22-2005, 5:26 PM Reply   
The first number, 13, means 13" diameter. The second number, 14, means the prop will travel forward through the water 14" in a single rotation.

direct or V, 1:1 or reduction?

Since you think the 13x14 is a dog then I would guess that it's a direct drive 1:1. Most 1:1 direct drives use a 13x13 as their baseline prop, heavily weighted boats often step down to a 12" pitch. Keep in mind that your boat will definately use more gas when cruising with a lower pitched prop, probably about the same when boarding.

Check with Karl at www.boarditup.com, he is the prop man here.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-23-2005, 7:45 AM Reply   
Send me an e-mail with your boat, motor, current prop, rpm at wide open throttle, your current and anticipated use (wakeboard, ski, etc.). I'll give you a recommendation and a price.
rider@boarditup.com
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-24-2005, 3:31 PM Reply   
i get way better millage while boarding with my 13x11.5 than i did with my stock 13x13[hardly ever have to floor it]. milage while cruising seems to be the same
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-24-2005, 8:42 PM Reply   
Mikeski, Karl, 882001, Thanks for the responses.

It is a Ski Centurion 2000 Elite-V, 1:1. Apparently I need to reduce the pitch on the prop for a better hole shot. I'll email Karl and see what he has to say.

Thanks again!