Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

View Poll Results: What would you pay to launch?
I wouldn't pay anything! 23 47.92%
Less then $40 18 37.50%
No more then $100 6 12.50%
Money is no object, just get me on the water! 1 2.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-28-2010, 12:20 PM Reply   
What would you pay to launch?

If you boat at a lake that has inspection facilities that look for Zebra and Quagga Mussels what would you pay to launch if your where failed and wanted to go boating for the day?

The reason I ask is I'm looking at buying a mobile decontamination station and offering boaters who fail inspection the option of having there vessel decontaminated and thus being allowed to boat the same day with only about an hour delay. Boaters who choose not to be decontaminated would face the standard 5-30 day ban on all county reservoirs. The cost for the service of course would depend on the size of the vessel and scope of area needing to be decontaminated. But we estimate the average boater would have to pay somewhere between 25-85 dollars.

Is this too much money to spend to guarantty a day on the water? What are your thoughts? Also the county may open up the reservoirs to boaters from out of state and high risk areas in the state if they go through the decontamination procedure.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-28-2010, 12:46 PM Reply   
I want in on your mobile decontamination idea at least!
Old     (Sly_Park_Mark)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-28-2010, 7:58 PM Reply   
I suppose it depends on how long I had driven to the lake and how long I was staying there. If it was my home lake, I'd just go back home and wait a few days. But if I had driven a long way to spend a week long vacation on the lake, the service would obviously be worth a lot more to me, as much as $100.
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-29-2010, 5:50 AM Reply   
My first response would be nothing, but we don't have to worry about being turned away from our lake. Depending on what was involved with the decontamination would determine how much I would be willing to pay. If it is not real labor intensive and it is something I could go home and do myself, I would lean towards the $25 or less range. If it is something that requires labor and/or special chemical and I couldn't do it myself at home, I would pay $85 or more.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-29-2010, 6:11 AM Reply   
we don't have that problem but I'd pay the 85 bucks to just get it done without question.
Old     (blowhole)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-29-2010, 8:18 AM Reply   
zebs and quaggas arent in all the lakes yet? they are here in NY
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-29-2010, 9:52 AM Reply   
Out here we don't have them in our lakes yet. Unfortunatly if you fail the inspection they can ban you from all lakes in the county for 5-30 days even permantly if they chose. The next closest place to ride is over an hours drive away. The cleaning and decontamination process while it is something you could do at home the county would not reconize anyone other then me because I'm licsensed to decontaminate and a certified vessel inspector. The process basically consists of washing the inside and outside of the boat with water thats over 140 degrees and and flushing the engine and ballast tanks with the 140 degree plus water or flushing them with a solution of (KCH) If you choose to be decontaminated which runs $85 per hour a large wakesetter would take about an hour to decontaminate then you could launch and enjoy the day. Furthermore if you had an I/O that failed just because of water in the lower unit you could be hooked to a fake-a-lake with 140 degree water and a minute later be able to launch for less then $25 thus saving your weekend of fun on the water.
Old     (Matt831)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-29-2010, 1:19 PM Reply   
Although I think its a good thing to stock this "lake rot", these private companies are insane. I only pay about $7 to get inspected and if I fail the boat is in quarentine for 7 days. I keep our boat clean so I only have to pay attention to the water in ballast tanks. I just run the ballast pumps, switching form fill to empty until now water comes out, then right before I drive up to the lake, do it again. I've been pretty fortunate to pass every time (knock on wood) but Ive seen brand new boats get turned away for ice in the cooler. As far as paying for decon...If I really thought I would need it, I would want to pay for an annual decon tag. Then I could just schedule on the way to the lake with no worries. Wonder if that could work out for you.
Old     (Matt831)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-29-2010, 1:21 PM Reply   
didn't mean stock the lake, meant STOP the rot. oops.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-29-2010, 1:34 PM Reply   
We have no such inspections here but I would pay the 85 bucks for the decon. I can only ride a couple days a week at most so the days i can ride are precious to me. I think it is a great idea for you to go mobile with this idea. The majority of people on here go pretty often and know the basics of the inspection and how to pass them. If I were you i would also consider people like my dad. He has a boat and has even fewer days he can head to the lake. I think that people that go less often are going to think it is a no brainer to pay you and get out on the water.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       06-29-2010, 4:33 PM Reply   
I'm lucky if I get out once a month, and I absolutely would not pay for this. This would just mean I ride even less often. I simply cannot afford it. I use one of the few public ramps here that is free and I absolutely hate the riff-raff that tie up the ramp, hang out all day there on jet skis or fishing, throw wake as the ramp, etc. but such is life. I usually try to get out when the sun comes up and back by noon before the drunks wake up and tie up the ramp and pull out their tubes.

I deal with it because every penny saved by using that ramp is a penny towards a nicer boat, gas, whatever (generally $15-$20 to use most ramps around here). I won't give my money to some state mandated cronies, I'll go home and peruse WW, clean the boat, do something productive before shelling out any money. Then again I always hose down the boat and trailer and run the engine on the hose to flush the river water out after each trip so i wouldn't expect any trouble if whatever state program is reasonable. I take extra care whenever going to any new body of water that I don't bring any plants or anything with me.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-29-2010, 4:42 PM Reply   
How much work is it for you to decontaminate? For your sake I would charge a 100. But for my sake I would wanna pay 40. 40 sounds reasonable but idk how much work really goes into it.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-30-2010, 3:19 PM Reply   
It depends on what needs to be decontaminated? A complete boat would run right around $100 for a full size wake boat with ballast tanks. A smaller boat would of course be alot less. And if everything is good but you just fail because you have water in your ballast tanks you'd be looking around $30.

Unfortunatly or I should say fortunatly for me the county would only reconize decontamination done by me as I would be certifing that the vessel is free of any contaminates and your vessels would then be banded allowing access to the water.

The most common failure is I/O and outboard motors because they often leak water when put in the down position. With these boats simply putting ears on them and flushing the system with 140 degree water would decontaminate them. It really depends on if the county choses to just make the component that failed inspection get decontaminated or if they require the whole vessels to get decontaminated. Even though I'd make more if they required the whole vessel to become decontaminated I'm actually pushing for just the component. It'd still be plenty of work for me and be more affordable and open the lake to more people.

For what its worth almost every agency in California is currently trying to figure out what they are going to do with regards to trying to stop the spread of mussels in California. Only three counties that I know of currently have programs this is a great oppurtunity for us boaters to make some money and have input on the process. The last thing we want is a bunch of money hungry executive types developing all these programs that have no clue about boats! Anybody thats thinking about trying to start something up in there area I'd be more then happy to help as I have done a ton of research and have made alot of contacts in the state.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       07-01-2010, 3:40 AM Reply   
So glad I live in Florida.....no launch fees unless its very, very, very private and personally owned.