Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-20-2009, 10:32 AM Reply   
This was my first season wakesurfing and I progressed from a CWB Ride board to the Shred Stixx Thresher. We had a ton of riders use the Thresher and now there are depressions worn into the board so I am thinking of asking my wife for a new board for Christmas. What should I get next?

I am 5'10" 165# and ride behind a Supra with 2500# of ballast (average size wake). I would like to get a board for airs and 360's. Is there a durable board out there that you would recommend for me?
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-21-2009, 1:47 PM Reply   
I have been searching different web sites looking at boards and I have a few in mind.

Inland Surfer Sweet Spot
Phase 5 Prop or Drew Danielo
Walker Bullet 4'8 or Comp X 4'6
Triple X 4'6 Slasher
others?

I would like a high performance board that is fairly durable for use from lots of riders.

Comments?
Old     (bigobuck)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-21-2009, 2:19 PM Reply   
You should look at Props. They can make you a custom board, for the same if not better price, based on one of their stock models.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-21-2009, 2:28 PM Reply   
Shred stixx comp1 limited! You need to be careful with it, but it's an amazing board!
Old     (bigobuck)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-21-2009, 2:37 PM Reply   
www.propswakesurfers.com
Old     (spam)      Join Date: May 2009       09-21-2009, 2:50 PM Reply   
http://www.propswakesurfers.com/contact.php

same clay?

Upload
Old     (bigobuck)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-21-2009, 3:11 PM Reply   
Forgive me for the SPAM.

However, He is asking for recommendations of boards. John lists a bunch of different boards manufacturers..."Inland Surfer Sweet Spot
Phase 5 Prop or Drew Danielo
Walker Bullet 4'8 or Comp X 4'6
Triple X 4'6 Slasher
others? "

Notice the "others?". I am simply listing more options for him to look at and did not want to get confused with the Phase 5 Prop board.

Get over it!...I am not littering the board with crap.
Old    surfdad            09-21-2009, 8:12 PM Reply   
Hey John,

Can you clarify for us the; "Is there a durable board" comment. I read your concern as being the heel dents in the Thresher. Of all the boards listed, only the IS and P5 don't have the tendency to heel dent. The construction of everything else, listed above, is similar to the Thresher.
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-21-2009, 8:48 PM Reply   
You need to check out xxx new custom boards if u r considering a xxx slasher, Nikki Sixx here in ww rides one & it looks pretty sweet, hit him up. A buddy of mine just put an order in 4 one & is currently drawing up his custom graphic for it. Btw- I really like my xxx slasher 5.0, definately good 4 airs, will break loose 4 spins.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-22-2009, 7:28 AM Reply   
Surfdad, the heel dents did not take long to show up in my Thresher and that concerns me a little. How long does a high performance board like this usually last?

I am new to wakesurfing this year and I am just wondering what products tend to stand up a little longer.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-22-2009, 8:10 AM Reply   
Saying you should also take a look at our boards is a lot different then saying "they can and their models making it sound like you are offering a non-biased outside opinion when you're not. So yes, littering the board with crap is exactly what you're doing. There are proper ways to market and promote your company while staying within the rules.

(Message edited by CAskimmer on September 22, 2009)
Old    surfdad            09-22-2009, 8:12 AM Reply   
Yeah...heel dents are common in that sort of construction without a heavier lamination schedule. Typically though, it's just cosmetic, it isn't indicative of impending failure. We've got boards that had heel dents after the first ride...so they can develop pretty quickly. They should tend to stop developing - except in a case like yours where there are a bunch of different folks with different stances and weight compressing the foam.

Of the boards you've listed, the IS and P5 probably have the greatest resistance to heel dents. P5's have a higher density core which will resist those dents better. The IS has a BUNCH of external resin, as well as, a wood laminate that combine to help resist heel dents. I'm trying to think of others - Victoria skimboards has a wakesurf model that uses high density foam, Triple X has a few skim style boards with high density foam and Lakewakes uses a 3 pound EPS which is pretty resistant to heel dents. I can't think of any others off the top-of-my-head.

Certainly nothing wrong with wanting a board that doesn't heel dent, but at the same time, I wouldn't worry excessively about heel dents, either.
Old     (bigobuck)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-22-2009, 9:06 AM Reply   
Don't mean to be a PIA, just wanted to present another option to someone who asked. In the future, I will try to keep my comments and suggestions as non-suggestive as I can.
Old     (bigobuck)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-22-2009, 9:14 AM Reply   
In response to the questions about heel dents...As Jeff said, "it is common in that short of construction". You could possible limit this by getting a thicker glass job on the deck. However, that will not completely resolve the problem. This may not be an option for many boards that cannot be custom ordered.
Old     (h20k9)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-22-2009, 10:28 AM Reply   
the best riders i know of cant wait for heeel impressions to happen.
they use them to their advantage.
but then again im talking about total ripperz.
imo beginners should stay in tune with what the best riders are on and why.just a thought.
friends dont let friends surf outsourced china board crap.
go USA
Old     (bigobuck)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-22-2009, 1:17 PM Reply   
Amen! Waterdog.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-22-2009, 4:57 PM Reply   
I am leaning towards a skim style board just to have something different on my boat. Is it just as easy to get airs on a skim style board?
Old     (bigobuck)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-22-2009, 5:02 PM Reply   
@waterdog...I find it funny that this sport is dominated by the big companies that outsource to China. The (ocean)surfboard world doesn't do that. At least, the best ones don't! Al Merrick, Rusty, Lost..all those guys make their boards in the US. Why not wake surfing!? All the best builders are here!
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-22-2009, 5:05 PM Reply   
yea it's just as easy although the amplitude tends not be as high. I like mixing it up and riding both styles
Old    surfdad            09-22-2009, 5:08 PM Reply   
I don't find them easy on either style of board. :-) I can't remember the kids name now, but he was on the Victoria Skimboard team, and he was behind our boat for an afternoon. He was riding a finless Vic and literally could ollie 1.5 feet off the lip of our wake. Just a slight run in and then this HUGE air. I think that the height of an air is just as much about how high you can suck your legs up, as anything else.

I'd think that the airs themself are probably as difficult for either style, but HUGE airs are probably harder on a typical skimmer strictly due to the pintail. Oh! Caskimmer beat me to it.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-22-2009, 5:16 PM Reply   
[tangent]
While it's just as possible to get a quality board made overseas these days I still refuse to ride something not made by my fellow riders.

I like knowing that somebody took pride in their workmanship and strived to make a board that performs opposed to someone that will make whatever product happens to be in front of them. Someone that honestly cares about each and every board and how it will serve it's owner.

I also like the fact that my buying decision enables someone to live the lifestyle they love

[/tangent]

(Message edited by CAskimmer on September 22, 2009)
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-22-2009, 5:25 PM Reply   
go usa Well I think china board builders seem to spend the $$ to advertise big and then make it back on the low build cost on their product. I spoke with a co. at surf expo that made boards in china, they said 150 each to build 2500 for your mold and 250 boards per container, im sure their are cheaper people that import.
Old     (bigobuck)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-23-2009, 10:44 AM Reply   
Tough to compete with those prices. Who wants 2500 of the same thing floating out on the market? You can get something made of better material, better quality, and by someone who knows what they are doing (not some cheap $2.00 P/D worker who hasn't the slightest clue about shaping), and the boards can be customized for you and your riding style. Remember what your mother told you..."YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!"
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-23-2009, 12:08 PM Reply   
clay
the 2500 was for a bronze mold of the board you design , made with epoxy and eps foam , like s/s , i/s boards