Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (russ_dogg)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-24-2008, 8:56 PM Reply   
How do you ollie a surf board high of the wake?
Old    surfdad            09-25-2008, 5:08 AM Reply   
Hey Russ it's like a skateboard ollie. Blast up to the wake, hard bottom turn, lift up on your leading leg, push down with your trailing leg. If you can, slide that front leg forward towards the nose and pull up on your trailing leg when the nose is as high as it's going to get. The height of the ollie is mostly dependent upon how high you can suck your legs up.

The two phases that are critical below:

Upload
Upload
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-25-2008, 8:32 AM Reply   
^ It is really that easy.
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-25-2008, 8:38 AM Reply   
There are different ways to do it. On a skim style board you don't need to bottom turn hard,i am not sure about surf style but I know that when you do a hard bottom turn you will loose some speed.
Start back on the wave and then pump towards the boat to get as much speed as you can. (speed is the real key with Olling) as you approach the part of the wave where you want to air fade to the top and then as Jeff says it is all about POPing yourback foot. You want to pop your back foot down as fast as you can then push out with your front foot to level the board out. It isn't much of a slide with the front foot like a skateboard because you don't have a nose to catch your foot, it is like more of a push out.
Hope that helped between that and what jeff said you should get it. And I know some of this is contradicting to what Jeff sayd but this is the way i always do them.
Old    surfdad            09-25-2008, 8:53 AM Reply   
I'd listen to Drew - you'll notice you don't see any pictures of me ollie'ing :-)
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-25-2008, 9:38 AM Reply   
Drew, thanks for the explanation. I have been trying to do one my my Phase Five Prop. I can get the nose up really well but I don't get the board leveled out. Sounds like I need to work on gaining speed and pushing out with my front foot.
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-25-2008, 9:38 AM Reply   
Forgot Surfdad thanks for the great pics.
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-25-2008, 1:18 PM Reply   
make sure you are pushing your back foot down fast. Like you are trying to snap your foot on the ground and then lift it up as fast as you can. SNAP!!! Good Luck
Old     (russ_dogg)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-25-2008, 7:49 PM Reply   
thanks...
ive just got a LF custom skim style board right now. Do you think a surf style would make that big of a diferance???
Old     (mikeytommy)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-25-2008, 11:29 PM Reply   
ya the trick is definately to get enough speed to ollie off the lip of the wave, alot like a skateboard. get real deep on the wave then pump back towards the boat, then bust an air...

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (mikeytommy)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-25-2008, 11:30 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-26-2008, 8:58 AM Reply   
So okay let me ask a couple more q's...

Drew I gots your surf instruct thanks you can bust some crazy tricks. Jess too. Please tell me WHY oh why is there not a real surf only video just like a normal wake video PLEASE I would buy more than one a year. BUT I DIGRESS-

When you turn up the wave to pop your ollie when do you pop it? On the face of the wave, or do you actually ollie off the top of the wave?

I find that I pop early I don't have the speed but if I pop late the top of the wave stalls me out and my tail sinks in a bit.

5'6" 165lbs on IS 4-skim 4'5" behind 87 Supra SunSport with 1400lbs throughout rear and port-side. Minnesnowda is not fun this time of year.

Busted my first two 360's w/o rope and staying in pocket last weekend! Hey does anyone else hold the rope, then carve the wave, then edge hard heelside out into the flats, then pop an ollie? I can get like 6-10" air that way lol thought about shuvs out there...sorry for the ramble...
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-26-2008, 9:24 AM Reply   
Lack of fresh wakesurf videos with newest rad action is real pain. Video is more than 1000 words and pics. It was allways my main and only inspiration tool. I digg what Mobgroup is doing and now Loren Graham stuff is awesome. But its hard to find all the nifty details in jagged mess of heavy commpressed jerky flash videos. Boohoo.

Vuze.com has almost HD resolution!

(Message edited by hawaj on September 26, 2008)
Old     (mcmillanman5)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-27-2008, 9:15 AM Reply   
You should check out these video tips:

http://www.mmwatersports.com/drew_danielo_wakesurf_tips.htm