Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-24-2005, 9:13 AM Reply   
Can someone explain the numbers given to props (i.e. 14 X 22) I've heard a couple differant meanings. Anyone?
Old    zboomer            01-24-2005, 9:19 AM Reply   
First number is the diameter, 2nd is the pitch, or how far the prop would theoretically travel through a medium in one revolution.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-24-2005, 9:37 AM Reply   
So 22 inches forward in one revolution of the prop. That's what I thought. Wouldn't that mean you get a smoother pull out of the hole with less pitch and abviously less top end? The new 216 Team Nautiques at the Seatle show had a 14X22 4 blade. I currently have a 94 Sport (almost the same boat) with a 14X16 3 blade, love the pull, and have power to spare whether Skiing or 'Boarding. I'm concerned that a 14X22 would be a harder pull (more drag) and more work on the motor. Opinions???
Old    zboomer            01-24-2005, 9:42 AM Reply   
Right, a lower 2nd number will give you more acceleration at the expense of top end. Also you may have to be careful not to over-rev your engine with a lower pitch prop.

A higher pitch will accelerate slower, more top speed, assuming your motor can spin it fast enough.

You can't really compare props on one boat to another unless they are near identical boats. Gearing in the gearbox, if any, will have a big affect on what the proper pitch is, among other factors. Weight, hull design, engine powerband, etc.

I recommend contacting one of the online vendors for advice.

Carl on this board "Boarditup" has great advice on props.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-24-2005, 12:01 PM Reply   
Your boat is propped about right. Your size indicates an older prop. If you need a prop change, the new Acme props will make a noticible difference for about $310. There is one more number to be aware of - a .080, etc. It is the cup of the prop. A little more info and I can size you up exactly.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-24-2005, 12:11 PM Reply   
Like Karl mentions, the prop's cupping makes a difference too. I went from a 13x13 to a 13x11.5 in my Direct Drive boat, gained better hole shot, better speed holding and did not loose any top end.
Old    desertrover            01-26-2005, 9:24 PM Reply   
Sorry to pop in just for advice but...

Karl,
I have an X-30 Mastercraft. I currently use the stock ballest system but will be adding anouther 400 to 800 lbs.
What do you recommend for better hole shot and speed holding?
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-27-2005, 5:26 AM Reply   
What engine and stock prop?