Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 05, 2008

Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-12-2008, 9:56 AM Reply   
I have finally signed up for a basic openwater certification course, just wondering who else dives out there and if you ride and dive in the same day?

Weskel
Old     (suthaforce)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-12-2008, 10:12 AM Reply   
I dive. My family tries to get away on a dive trip every winter, and I am going to Rivera Maya in a couples weeks on my honeymoon with the hopes of sneaking away to dive. If you have never done it before it is completely amazing, and a different world down there.

As for diving and riding in the same day i don't think it would be advised, as they say you are supposed to stay inactive for quite a while after diving. I don't know why though.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-12-2008, 10:26 AM Reply   
You are not suppose to fly after you dive. You can do your normal daily routine after a dive but DO NOT fly for some considerable time so you don't get the bends. Your dive planner and charts will tell you when it's okay.

This is coming from a once certified PADI SCUBA instructor. I don't teach SCUBA anymore since I moved from Hawaii to Sacramento, CA... Water here is terrible visibility compared to Hawaii. :-)
Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-12-2008, 10:43 AM Reply   
So a normal daily routine could include doing some wake boarding after a morning dive?
Old     (waketherainbow)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-12-2008, 10:55 AM Reply   
I have rode after diving before, and there is nothing wrong with it. You could be very tired in the evenings, because diving can take it out of you.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-12-2008, 11:02 AM Reply   
I am starting my certification dives this weekend. Should be a good time.
Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-12-2008, 11:10 AM Reply   
I start the weekend of June 14-15 and then finish up the following weekend.

I can't wait, they say there are some nice wrecks around Destin. My real goal is to be able to dive the aircraft carrier Oriskany they sunk last year 22 miles off shore from Pensacola. Maybe by the end of summer and the advanced classes/nitrox.....
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-12-2008, 11:13 AM Reply   
you can do nitrox online, my gf wants me to do this right away so they don't have to come up early when we dive. haha
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-12-2008, 11:48 AM Reply   
You can dive and ride on the same day depending on how much air you get when you ride
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-12-2008, 12:14 PM Reply   
Yes, go ahead and dive and board the same day. The SCUBA instructor will have a lesson about flying and diving where you can also ask this question. He should say it's okay to dive and the board but again, DO NOT fly right after you dive. The height that you will get while boarding will not give you the bends. You should stay at or around the same elevation as you dive for the specified period of time.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-12-2008, 12:42 PM Reply   
david, is it not 24 hours for flying? Not a huge deal IMO. All nitrogen is completely out of your system in that amount of time anyway. right?

Nitrox online? i will have to check that out!
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-12-2008, 12:59 PM Reply   
When I was certified, the nitrox was around and I was never certified by PADI to teach it since they frowned upon it. Today might be different with PADI but 24 hours seems about right but again, it also depends upon how long you have been under. .02

Rule of thumb would be to wait 72 hours but again, the planners and charts that you will be provided in the divers certification package will also provide you more information regarding when you can fly.

Since nitrox is a gas that is less likely to compress from atmospheric changes, there is a less of a chance to get the bends because nitrox does not expand like the oxygen we breath.

(Message edited by dabell on May 12, 2008)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-12-2008, 1:08 PM Reply   
I'm a certified diver.

Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-12-2008, 1:08 PM Reply   
I've been certified for 37 years and both my boys have been since they were 10. It's a great family sport.

I have dove and boarded in the same day in the Bahamas, but it's not the
norm. We usually ride on a little inland lake and thats not really worth diving.
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-12-2008, 7:27 PM Reply   
Been certified since 87, ex-instructor....Most of my diving was huntin' for lobster and halibut at the outer channel islands... Ah, the good ol' days!

Haven't been under water since learning about wakeboarding and ATV's...

Kelly- A little advice from a has-been.... Get some time under your belt after you certify. A lot of folks put more weight in their "advanced" certification rather than their actual non-class time under water. No substitute for experience.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-12-2008, 7:36 PM Reply   
I dive... learned when I worked at Clubmed.

Used to do the morning dive then ski and board in the afternoon then sometimes do the nightdive too. No worries.

It's the pressure and altitude you need to worry about, learn to relax, equalize, and have a good time. Don't fly on a plane within 12 hours of diving was the old rule, now just check your computer.
Old     (ethan31)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-12-2008, 7:40 PM Reply   
A little off topic...but I'll ask anyway.

I have a scuba tank for sale it looks brand new, It will need hydro now since it has sat for a year or so.
It has never been in the water. Has cover and boot.

I will let it go cheap if you pay shipping.....anyone? ethan31@gmail.com if interested.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-12-2008, 7:53 PM Reply   
NAUI here. :-)
Old     (2manytoys)      Join Date: May 2007       05-12-2008, 8:05 PM Reply   
Make sure you dive in the cenotes while you are in the Mayan Riveria.. Lots of fun... jungle ride out to them was a blast too..
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-12-2008, 9:03 PM Reply   
I'm certified, but I haven't been for a dive in a while... It's not worth diving where I usually ride, it's a mud hole.

I jumped in with my mask one day and I could see a big white thing in front of me, I think it was the boat but it was hard to tell. You can hardly see your hand in front of your face out there.

(Message edited by jtnz on May 12, 2008)
Old     (twitch)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-12-2008, 9:04 PM Reply   
PADI certified here... and one of the top experiences in my life..
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-12-2008, 9:16 PM Reply   
PADI here as well!!
Old     (spoondog)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-12-2008, 9:25 PM Reply   
My friend Wanderlei does.Upload
Old     (zirb3l)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-12-2008, 11:06 PM Reply   
i got my open water last year and hope to get my advance this year.

I hope yo get to Oriskany with my dad too somtime in the next 2 years. that would be an awesome dive!!
Old     (lfboarder94)      Join Date: May 2007       05-13-2008, 4:47 AM Reply   
I am 14 years old and have my open water, I will be taking the advance in a couple weeks. Nothing better than diving and boarding
Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-13-2008, 5:21 AM Reply   
I know it will be awhile before I can head out to the Oriskany. The water here is usually clear as a swimming pool so I am sure I will get alot of dives under my belt this summer.

My father built swimming pools and back in the 80's and we had scuba gear we used to repair pools and other various water tanks. We were never certified, but I spent alot of time underwater in the pools, so I am excited about doing it again, this time in the open water.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-13-2008, 6:57 AM Reply   
Did a few dives in Belize. There's a flooded quary within an hour or so that can have good vis if its not busy. Looking forward to some dive/board trips this summer. Nothing like surface time on a wakeboard.

Anyone done Honduras?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-13-2008, 7:06 AM Reply   
My GF and her parents did Honduras and had a good time. Roatan I believe
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-13-2008, 7:20 AM Reply   
Thats it - Roatan. A friend just got back and was telling me about it. honduras is definitely on my list for a dive trip.

Did you guys hear abou the dive site/cemetery off Florida?
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-14-2008, 11:46 AM Reply   
They just started advertising that cemetary off Key Biscayne. Looks neat, but a little creepy for a dive destination. I hear you can become part of the reef when you die if you like.
I dive Padi. There have been many times we have wakeboarded in the morning and dove in the afternoon or the other way around in the Keys. I am headed to the Keys over Memorial Weekend to do just that next weekend (CANT WAIT!!!).
I wouldnt recommend a deep dive and a wakeboard trip combo though- that could wear you out!
Old     (wake_pop)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-14-2008, 12:22 PM Reply   
PADI here for 7 years. We do a 4 day Cozumel dive trip every January. We do 2 dives in the morning and drink at the pool in the afternoon. I'd board afterwards as long as you feel up to it. I'd adhere to the 24 hours before flying rule though. better safe than sorry.
Old     (rico80)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-14-2008, 1:17 PM Reply   
I've had my certification since '01. Don't dive nearly as often as I would like though.
Old     (beetlebugboard)      Join Date: May 2007       05-15-2008, 8:16 PM Reply   
Nacho,
If you'e dove? dived? doven? uh...
Anyway, if you've been to Belize, you'll find a different kind of diving in Roatan .. caves and a sunken ship, the reef was pretty smashed up from a hurricane when we went, that's been a few years, but Belize is much more spectacular IMO, unless you're there for whale shark season, usually March I think. If so, lucky you!
Old     (jermiside)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-15-2008, 8:26 PM Reply   
i work underwater! with my job and wakeboarding, i think i was meant to be a fish...or dolphin!!
Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-16-2008, 5:32 AM Reply   
Nice profile Pic Jerm.....

Does that come with the job as an underwater welder????
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-16-2008, 5:40 AM Reply   
tomorrow is pool day and sunday is confined day. should be a fun time!

ted where do you stay in the keys again?
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-16-2008, 6:49 AM Reply   
I typically stay at my brothers house in Key Largo. My parents live down there too so I just use my Dads boat instead of towing mine all the way down - his is more set up for diving then mine. www.keylargocoffeehouse.com
Sometimes I rent thru vrbo.com when I go down to Marathon.
Old     (zirb3l)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-16-2008, 6:57 AM Reply   
I hope to hit up Roatan next year on a mission trip, ive heard the night diving is AMAZING there!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-16-2008, 7:16 AM Reply   
Danielle, sweet pic! I missed whale shark season. But, I always said I'd make it back just for that. Of course it's been 5 yrs...

Roatan sounds different. Something I may have to check out. I guess the grass is always greener... I didn't have a cam housing at the time, but there were some epic dives in Belize. One was a Cousteau top 10 w/ 50 ft columns of coral.

Is it warm yet?
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-16-2008, 7:29 AM Reply   
Our whole family dives... I am the only cold water diver and lobster diver. I dive all winter... My wife and all 3 of my girls are more tropical water divers... they all wakeboard - just not the same day. I would if I had the chance. Plan your dive - dive your plan...
Aloha Joe
Old     (jermiside)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-16-2008, 7:57 AM Reply   
weskel, nah but she does come with the boat...
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-16-2008, 8:04 AM Reply   
Ted we are planning a trip to Key Largo July 18th-20th.

I'll make sure we go to that restaurant.

On a side note I have rented a house on Lake Weir June 5-8 as I'll be up there for a wedding.

t
Old     (rico80)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-16-2008, 10:25 AM Reply   
I dove Roatan last Nov, it was great but reef was fairly tore up in spots. I don't know if that's from a hurricane or if they just don't take care of it. The Shark Dive off the north end is supposed to be amazing but long waiting list, one of the best spots for Whale sharks in the world is the next island over, I forget the name of it though. Best time is Nov - Feb I think.

The zip line through the trees was a lot of fun if you go. Our favorite restaurant was a vegetarian place with an Ohio State banner out front. Not a vegetarian, I just went in because I saw the banner but the food was actually amazing, didn't miss the meat at all, they do have meat entrees if you prefer though.
You also have to get Barrena beer while there, tastes like Corona but better.

I've dove the Keys a few times as well and night dives are always my favorite. Highly recommend doing one if you can fit it into your schedule, I'm sure that applies any place you dive.

(Message edited by rico80 on May 16, 2008)