Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Umatilla_Matt)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-27-2010, 2:14 PM Reply   
Is it possible to wakeboard behind a pontoon boat? I know I can get up behind one but how's the wake? I can't seem to find any photos or videos of a pontoon wake. I'm going on a trip in a couple weeks and we are renting a pontoon boat and I'm wondering if I should bring my board or not. Am I gonna be limited to surface tricks and ollies or what?
Old     (Cajun_Misfit)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-27-2010, 2:19 PM Reply   
NOT! unless you are just learning to ride then it wont really matter... if you expect to get any air or plan on doing anything other than carving around don't bother
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-27-2010, 2:25 PM Reply   
Think of it as riding cable. Bring a wakeskate, instead. That can be a fun behind a pontoon.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-27-2010, 2:37 PM Reply   
Yeah you can. In fact I did a photo shoot for premier pontoons a few years back, they are actually put Tower on it. In fact as I recall they had set-up so that you could reverse the bildge and it would flll the pontoons up as balast. You could do hucked inverts behind it, the main thing was we had to ride like a 55 foot rope or something insanely short like that to make it work.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-27-2010, 2:40 PM Reply   
Yea skate behind it. I think the first wake to kickflip went down behind a tooner.
Old     (havasu4life)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-27-2010, 6:07 PM Reply   
I learned how to get up on a tri-toon pontoon boat. it had a 150HP Johnson outboard on it. You mentioned that you are renting one???? Most of the ones that are for rent on my lake are boats with two pontoons and very small HP motors...more for fishing and partying more than water sports. They also have pontoons with an I/O 350 V8 in them. Those boats run pretty fast and sit deeper in the water...

So i guess it depends on what kind you are renting...

As for the wake, the ones i've ridden behind (with no tower or ballast) offer very small choppy wakes. In fact, my grandpas throws two small whitewash wakes on each side of the boat, even with long or short rope lengths.

surface tricks was about all i could do. of course i am not the greatest rider ha ha

Hope this helps,
Kyle
Old     (Cajun_Misfit)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-28-2010, 6:48 AM Reply   
My advise to you is...

Buy a bunch of beer and crank the music on that poontoon!

Have Fun
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-28-2010, 6:51 AM Reply   
poontoon does that mean girls come with it.LOL
Old     (Umatilla_Matt)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-28-2010, 7:22 AM Reply   
The pontoon we are renting is supposed to have a 150HP outboard on it, so it should have plenty of power and speed. Sounds like I'm not going to be getting too much air off the wake. Maybe I'll bring my board just to do some surface tricks. I don't have a wakeskate, but that sounds fun. We'll have it loaded down with 12 people so maybe the wake will be better than nothing. I might just have to tow my wake boat with us on the trip, but I was trying to avoid that. Thanks for all the suggestions/help!!
Old     (Cajun_Misfit)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-28-2010, 7:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
poontoon does that mean girls come with it.LOL
Not that they come with it, but girls and booze cruzin are the only reason I get on one...

Call me shallow if you want, its the truth
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-28-2010, 7:57 AM Reply   
I don't think I have ever seen anyone wakeboarding/skating behind a pontoon before. I wouldn't expect the wake to be better than ankle-high.