Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ctxaggies)      Join Date: May 2010       04-27-2012, 6:38 AM Reply   
I have a couple questions on a 2000 x-star I'm considering buying. It has close to 700 hrs in lower 20k range. Gelcoat overall seemed good, some oxidation on transom and I saw small hairline fractures in gelcoat near tower bases. Interior overall was OK, the seat cushions have cracks in vinyl but the seat backs and rear deck are fine. Manifolds has little rust.

1. Should I be concerned with those hairline cracks?
2. What it would cost to replace the vinyl on all seat cushions?
3. Does the engine appear OK for this year model?
4. Does low 20's seem reasonable for this xstar?
Attached Images

Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-27-2012, 6:46 AM Reply   
Are you planning on running with weight? What size engine? I don't know too much about this stuff, but i did work in a shop for a while and anytime fiberglass starts cracking it isn't a good sign... We have a star and the reason I ask about engine size is due to the first question. If you are planning on running with weight you will want a big engine, otherwise though, that has a really awesome hull on it. I have heard that you can make a really awesome wakeboard wake with very little weight as that is the 205 hull.
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-27-2012, 6:49 AM Reply   
The thing that scares me about the cracking on second look is that it looks as if the tower doesn't have a backing plate below the fiberglass. When towers were first coming out I know a lot of companies (aftermarket and even some renowned) would just drill the tower straight in to the fiberglass with out any reinforcement behind, that idea scares me a little. I do have a friend who has a boat with some serious spider-cracking like that though and his is just fine, so you never know.
Old     (ctxaggies)      Join Date: May 2010       04-27-2012, 7:23 AM Reply   
I envision I run some weight but probably not more than 1200 lbs or so. The engine appears to be 5.7L EFI, similar to my last Prostar 205.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-27-2012, 7:25 AM Reply   
is it me or don't the spider cracks seem to be coming from the other screws (cleats and that plastic thing) not the tower bolts.
Old     (ctxaggies)      Join Date: May 2010       04-27-2012, 7:49 AM Reply   
Yeah, actually saw more around cleats. Is that a bigger concern than cracks at tower bases?
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-27-2012, 7:55 AM Reply   
I thought I saw some around the tower, I could've easily been mistaken though. Once again, that was all just my opinion anyway, with that engine, how much weight you are running should be more than enough. I probably just jumped to the worst conclusion about the spider cracking, you would probably be fine.
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-27-2012, 7:56 AM Reply   
That was poorly worded, that engine should be plenty powerful for the weight you are planning on running.*
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-27-2012, 8:01 AM Reply   
Is it just me or does that boat look pretty beat for low 20s? Does it have ballast and perfect pass?

I'd think 15-17 Max for that boat.
Old     (kronoss)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-27-2012, 8:01 AM Reply   
you would most definitely want to replace the Risers & Manifolds (about $1k+)

If the walls inside collapse from rust, water will rush inside the engine and it can destroy it fast.
Old     (ctxaggies)      Join Date: May 2010       04-27-2012, 8:18 AM Reply   
Yeah, it's condition seemed average at best. My 96 prostar was in much much better shape. It does have PP, center and rear ballast. Owner said he just replaced a leaking water pump too. The risers & manifolds may be enough to scare me away.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       04-27-2012, 8:41 AM Reply   
Lots of random corrosion and an non-OEM trailer. This is a salt water boat right?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-27-2012, 8:46 AM Reply   
That boat looks pretty beat with high hours for low 20's. Was it used in salt? If not I wouldnt' worry too much abotu the manifolds and risers. If it was replace those. It looks like someone added some really cheap cleats that just screw into the gelcoat/fiberglass. They look like they would only be good for hanging fenders. Because they probably just screwed them in and didn't predrill the correct size holes or used the cleats for tying to the dock is what casued the spider cracks.

I say abotu 17.5 is tops if it checks out mechanically.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-27-2012, 8:57 AM Reply   
I have an 02 x star and that boat looks a bit rough however the seams always seem to suck on these boats if not well taken care of. I agree not worth 20 in this condition maybe 17 or 18.
Old     (ctxaggies)      Join Date: May 2010       04-27-2012, 9:16 AM Reply   
Salt water entered my mind when I saw the trailer too. Owner claimed he bought from someone in Houston, and previous owner said it was never in salt or brackish water. As much as I want this hull in a v-drive, seems like the general consensus is 20k is too much for this one.