Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (andrew_wakeboarding)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-23-2012, 3:48 PM Reply   
Right now I'm riding behind an 2005 Chapparal 2010. It has a big 3 blade propellor. If I get a propellor with more blades how will it affect my wake? Will it make it bigger or smaller?
Thanks
Old     (JamesHawk101)      Join Date: Sep 2012       12-23-2012, 4:44 PM Reply   
Neither really. Prop doesn't have much to do with wake size or anything about the wake from what I know. If you want a bigger wake you are gonna want to invest in some ballast or just trying trimming the boat up a bit.
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       12-24-2012, 6:26 AM Reply   
We had a 2005 Sea Ray 220 Select. Our wake good after we added 400 lbs to each rear locker and 500 to the bow. We used sacks at first, but due to the time to fill and space they took up we switched to lead. The wake got better with the lead. that was the config. we used after about a year of trying all different things.
Good Luck.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-24-2012, 7:19 PM Reply   
CHAPPARAL

^^^^^^^^^^^^
thats your main problem

sell it! get an inboard
you will love your life more than ever!
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-24-2012, 10:11 PM Reply   
Prop wont change anything about the wake "size". Add some ballast or get an inboard
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       12-25-2012, 8:24 AM Reply   
Hey J.B. That was the answer I wanted to give. But being the holiday season, I wanted to try to help. The weight I listed above helped out huge. The best thing about lead is you can move 40lbs bags all around the boat easily until you find the best combination. I was told by lots of my friends our I/O wake was as big and good as most wakeboard wakes. We spent 2 days one time just moving lead around to find the sweet spot. No boarding just adjusting the wake.The only thing I did not like about our I/O was underpowered and seating config sucked. So Andrew take the time to find what works best for you boat. To answer the question, yes we sold our Sea Ray. I bought a 2013 MB 23WB with the 410hp motor. We should get it second week of January.
Old     (kskonn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       12-28-2012, 6:40 AM Reply   
So do you think your MB will be as good a wake as your I/O?
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       12-28-2012, 6:46 AM Reply   
Probably not ... I/O's have a long history of proven wake. MB wake just hasnt been around that long.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       12-28-2012, 7:14 AM Reply   
A 23' MB better have a bigger wake than your Chapparal. It has nothing to do with whose been around longer, rather hull design and weight are key factors. My 06 MB B52 had a bigger wake than any I/O in the same size category that I had ever seen. Plus bow riders like Chapparal use lifting strakes which naturally allow the boat to ride higher in the water producing a smaller wake. MB does not use this concept as much because they know there boat should sit deeper in the water. If you look at a Nautique 210 you won't find any lifting strakes on the hull at all. I/O's are fully capable of producing a clean nice size wake of course, but they aren't designed for the same purpose or performance as a tournament tow boat. Congrats on your purchase Don that boat with the 6 Liter in it will be awesome you'll love it! Don't expect the top end to be the same as your Chaparral though, inboards are not built for top end speed.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       12-28-2012, 7:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartt3 View Post
Probably not ... I/O's have a long history of proven wake. MB wake just hasnt been around that long.
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       12-28-2012, 2:41 PM Reply   
Here is a pix of our old I/O wake. Yes the MB wake will obviously be bigger and firmer than any I/O.
Attached Images

Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-29-2012, 10:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakedaveup View Post
A 23' MB better have a bigger wake than your Chapparal. It has nothing to do with whose been around longer, rather hull design and weight are key factors. My 06 MB B52 had a bigger wake than any I/O in the same size category that I had ever seen. Plus bow riders like Chapparal use lifting strakes which naturally allow the boat to ride higher in the water producing a smaller wake. MB does not use this concept as much because they know there boat should sit deeper in the water. If you look at a Nautique 210 you won't find any lifting strakes on the hull at all. I/O's are fully capable of producing a clean nice size wake of course, but they aren't designed for the same purpose or performance as a tournament tow boat. Congrats on your purchase Don that boat with the 6 Liter in it will be awesome you'll love it! Don't expect the top end to be the same as your Chaparral though, inboards are not built for top end speed.
Fastest I ever drive my boat is right around 22 mph when we are wakeboarding hahaha I dont want speed I want Torque and lots 'O Ballast
Old     (runin90lx)      Join Date: Sep 2009       12-29-2012, 3:46 PM Reply   
2013 MB B52 wakeboard wake...yes it will be MUCH larger than a chaparral wake.
Attached Images

Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       12-29-2012, 6:02 PM Reply   
Bill is that weighted with tanks only. Are you using the plate?
Old     (runin90lx)      Join Date: Sep 2009       12-29-2012, 8:17 PM Reply   
Don, that was stock tanks 3/4 full and then a 500 lb sac across the back seat. Wake plate was all the way up(not affecting wake)
Old     (johnboyy7)      Join Date: Apr 2011       12-31-2012, 12:44 PM Reply   
i recognize that lake.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       12-31-2012, 1:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by runin90lx View Post
Don, that was stock tanks 3/4 full and then a 500 lb sac across the back seat. Wake plate was all the way up(not affecting wake)
I would put that 500lb sack in the bow and see how you like that configuration.
Old     (runin90lx)      Join Date: Sep 2009       12-31-2012, 2:02 PM Reply   
i had a 400 lb sac in the bow..forgot about that
Old     (runin90lx)      Join Date: Sep 2009       12-31-2012, 2:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboyy7 View Post
i recognize that lake.
your the one thats friends with Nathan I. arent you? if so he was in the boat when that pic was taken LOL
Old     (mikebu)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-02-2013, 7:19 PM Reply   
Won't the propeller with more blades make it easier to manually control the boats speed when pulling a wakeboarder? My dad has a Chapparal similar to this and maintaining a constant speed when pulling is quite difficult and requires me to really concentrate on this compared to using perfect pass on my v-drive boat.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-02-2013, 9:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebu View Post
Won't the propeller with more blades make it easier to manually control the boats speed when pulling a wakeboarder? My dad has a Chapparal similar to this and maintaining a constant speed when pulling is quite difficult and requires me to really concentrate on this compared to using perfect pass on my v-drive boat.
I dont think so
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-03-2013, 7:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebu View Post
Not necessarily more blades, but the proper prop for your application will help you maintain speed. If you can get a prop where your motor is in its sweet spot at riding speed, you will most likely be able to keep a more consistent speed. I see this even with perfect pass on v drives. Some props hold your speed with your weight configuration better than other props, and the number of blades is not necessarily the difference.
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       01-04-2013, 5:08 PM Reply   
Well my MB is finished. Here are the pictures.
http://dcphotomania.smugmug.com/Othe...4837&k=bFvNn25
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       01-05-2013, 4:38 AM Reply   
It's a beauty!!
Old     (jimmyd)      Join Date: Apr 2012       01-05-2013, 6:47 PM Reply   
I know different props on inboards can mess with the wake. You'll see that a 5 blade prop will be more likely to cause a washy wake on the port side vs. a 4 blade. (this isn't the issue for some inboards, but it happens) The physics of an inboard make it necessary to offset the shaft to the starboard side, but Im not sure if the I/Os act similarly. Your best option would be to see if you can borrow one or look into getting duel props to increase your torque so you can put more weight in your boat.
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       01-06-2013, 7:04 AM Reply   
We had a Bravo 3 outdrive on our I/O (dual props) It came with 24 pitch. We changed to 21 pitch and then reshaped to 19 pitch. The pitch did not effect the wake. It only helped with planning under heavy load(1500 of lead). A dual prop is notorious for having one side washed out. Our was the starboard side. I was told by many people that is a problem with dual counter rotating props.