Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-16-2008, 6:53 PM Reply   
Thinking more about this as prices continue to fly out of control. People have run cars on compressed natural gas or propane for years, a little less horse power, but with the right equipment you can actually pump it from your house for under a buck a gallon or gge (gallon of gas equivalent). Supposedly the install is easy if you have a carbed boat (I do) but more expensive if you're efi, but they make trucks, vans and busses run on the stuff. I was just reading about the stuff today, and I'm not an expert at all, but maybe somebody on here knows more.
Old     (mhayes)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-16-2008, 6:59 PM Reply   
Rob, good point, and I'm sure that this has been thought about at the major marine engine manufacturers. I believe that this is pretty commonplace in the UK and would be great to implement in the US. I know here in ATL, most all of the mass transit buses run on CNG.
Old     (ethan31)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-16-2008, 7:19 PM Reply   
I hear ford for 09' will have some propane trucks.

All the schwans trucks are propane.
Propane here is $2.19 a gallon. Helluva alot cheaper than gas. I'm all for it.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-16-2008, 11:55 PM Reply   
Figure a 20% power loss with Propane, conversion kits are readily available.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-17-2008, 6:09 AM Reply   
Anyone know a good company to find a kit?
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-17-2008, 6:53 AM Reply   
This guys runs LPG in his 08 Mobius LSV
http://www.wakesiderides.com/rides/index.php?page=out&id=2947
He runs a wakeboard school in europe somewhere..
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-17-2008, 8:24 AM Reply   
I have seen some conversions from our European counterparts. There was a write up on the2001.com not to long ago.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-17-2008, 9:51 AM Reply   
If you thought you got bad fuel efficiency with gas, try CNG. It will last about 1/4 as long as the gas does. Sounds cheap but a pain in the but. I've driven CNG trucks, it's not all what it's cracked up to be.
Old     (delmage171)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-18-2008, 8:16 AM Reply   
we need the companies to start throwing diesels in all of the boats then convert to propane...gaining hp
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-18-2008, 12:01 PM Reply   
This is good info. I don't care either way, just seems Cng is cheaper, but even the propane saves money. If you can hide tanks or figure something out there you could have a solution. Jason, thats not a bad idea either. If anyone can point me to a good kit I may give it a try.
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       05-18-2008, 12:26 PM Reply   
It's commonplace over here in Europe. works out far cheaper and the engines run fine.... only annoyance is giving up storage to gas tanks. Boats that run on smaller private lakes are thought of as odd if they DON'T run on LPG (Liquid Petroleum Gas).