Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (rake)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-23-2010, 3:49 PM Reply   
Just wanted to give a shout out to John, Vina and Von of NorCal Mastercraft for the excellent service work I received. My apologies for the novel that follows.

Most people call them "stealerships" but that wasn't my experience at all. My 2001 205V died on us going out from Orwood a couple of weekends ago, did a quick check of the basics but before I could go any further diagnosing the problem someone nicely offered to tow us back in. I thought it was the fuel pump as a few friends who had the same model boat had them go out and it seemed like a fuel related issue. The boat has 838 hours on it so it seemed time.

I made an appointment and brought my boat to NorCal. John called me a few days later and said, "It died once but we've started it 30 - 40 times and it fires up everytime" We talked a bit and we decided to replace the kill switch just on general principles, they didn't try to sell the fuel pump or any other parts.

I picked it back up and we took it out the next weekend, got a few miles out with a rider under tow and bam, dies again. This time there is no one around so we pull the spark arrestor and key it over, it's pumping fuel, seems ok. Pull the rider in and take off, pushing the boat to see if it happens again. About 4200 RPM it cuts and then dies, quick pull the spark arrestor, the injectors are dry, key it over, no fuel... damn it is the fuel pump or so I think.

Wait a few minutes and key it again and it starts, we limp back with the boat dying every 10 minutes or so and a waiting period before it starts. I call John the following Monday and talk to him and describe the symptoms. He agrees it's a fuel issue but is the pump or loose wire? He is bringing another boat out for a water test on Wednesday (today) can I meet him?

Put the boat into the water, hook it up to the computer and off we go, a few miles out boom it dies, ignition has voltage, fuel pump is solid, spark coming off the cap. Von and John tear into it, while I paddle to stay off the rocks, they try a new ecm, nope not that, they brought a new fuel pump, but that's not it. Finally they zero in on the ICM (ignition Control Module) it's burning hot. John sprays it with carb cleaner to cool it down.. bam the boat starts.. we limp back in with timely shots of carb cleaner cooling the ICM. While coming back in, they checked with Vina to see if the part is in stock so I could pick it up on my way back to work.

Very reasonable labor charge and way beyond service work. Other places would have done "parts roulette" until it got solved with me dragging the boat back and forth and wasting countless weekends doing so. The part only failed under heat and load conditions which were hard to diagnose. No upsell, just a honest desire to fix the problem.

Anyone looking for service or a new boat in the bay area, I'd definitely recommend Norcal. Great folks.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-23-2010, 10:50 PM Reply   
Ya they got some love on Good Day Sacramento the other day too. So did fifty1fifty.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-24-2010, 8:11 AM Reply   
Awesome.... Nothing beats good customer service. That's what makes or breaks a business. They've taken care of us on too many occasions to count.

Nice job guys!
Old    kaligirl            06-24-2010, 8:27 AM Reply   
Thanks for sharing the positive experience. I've been really frustrated with service in the Sacto area and was thinking of hauling my boat all the way down to Modesto for my next service. It's frustrating when you baby your boat as much or maybe even more than your kids and then you drop it off for service and it's trashed when you pick it up. Maybe I'll give Nor Cal Matercraft a try.
Old     (lettinit)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-24-2010, 8:57 AM Reply   
I have to say that I am very disappointed with Nor Cal MC in pleasanton. I inquired about a boat a few times last week and made the 6 hour round trip down to look at it last Wednesday. I called on Tuesday to give them the heads up that I would be coming down. Upon arrival I asked for the salesmen who I had been talking to. We went out to the boat and I basically got no info on it. I had never seen this model before and knew very little other than what I have read on the internet. I had ask all the questions, no tour, no nothing. I don't think he even got in the boat. I then asked to if we could turn the key so I could check out the new vdig? screen. Have never seen it before. Also thought it would be nice to hear the stereo. He told me "no" that it could fry the fuel pump. Now, I understand that if I was some tire kicker off the street that this would be acceptable. I took a day off work, drove over 6 hours round trip and spent alot on gas to see the boat. Its not like this is a cheap boat ( 65K asking). If I was buying a 65K car, I think I would be treated like a king at the dealership.
Anyway, after about 15 minutes he told me he had to go inside and get some work done. I inquired about a demo ride and he said that this weekend would be tough but he would set it up for this week. It is now thursday and have heard nothing back. At this point I'm not going to give them my business and will discourage anyone I know looking for a boat to patronize them . I have a large down and now have my financing in place. I'm not some tire kicker wanting to waste someone's time. The salesmen has my # and email so there are no excuses. I dont care how busy he gets. It's summer and I want a boat now.
I wish them the best of luck and hope they don't treat all their potential customers this way. In this day in age I am surprised at this treatment. Good luck Nor Cal MC , don't follow in the footsteps of the Copes empire !!

Last edited by lettinit; 06-24-2010 at 9:03 AM.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-24-2010, 10:59 PM Reply   
Dang that sucks man. Hope it's an isolated thing.