Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeskating

Old     (wakebrdrnc)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-21-2005, 7:46 AM Reply   
I have skated a few times and I am not all that great but I want to buy a board. I am 6' 210lbs. What lenght should I be riding. I know there is a wakeboard wizzard on the site but I was not sure if there was a sk8 wizzard. Thanks!
Old     (xbar)      Join Date: May 2003       07-21-2005, 8:41 AM Reply   
Honestly, you should be fine on most of the boards out there. I was riding a Byerly 107 at 5'10" and about 190lbs. However, I have since lost some weight and improved my skill considerably...the two are not related. But I also started to try a bunch of different skates and found that I really enjoy riding an Integrity Tolstoy.

Basically, it is all about what you feel comfortable riding and your skill level. Your best bet would be to get a comfy pair of shoes and then just try a bunch of different boards. Check the sites, or local shops, to see if they are doing 'demo days' and you can check out all kinds of new equipment. Good luck and have fun!
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       07-22-2005, 10:10 AM Reply   
Yeah, there really isn't a forumla to go by. Some larger riders totally dig a 41, while some may go for a 43. Terrain and style might come into play, as guys like grubb (who's a wake to wake fiend) likes a longer board, while a technical rider like thomas (who is taller, but is on the lighter side) likes a 40.

As for me, I'm shorter and lighter, and i prefer a 41 as opposed to maybe a 38-40 inch board. Quite frankly, I like having a little bit of room for error...I'm not in the mood to do any water splits. The stinky wide stance leaves little to be desired...but whatever.

Like jason said, riding whatever you can is the best option. good luck!
Old    nh_wakerider            07-25-2005, 6:22 PM Reply   
Just got a hyperlite 43 wide skate...awesume, rides great and starts easy, spins effortlessly, truly a wild ride, except now my skate performs better than my wakeboard
Old    nh_wakerider            07-25-2005, 6:53 PM Reply   
Sorry... That was a Liquid Force 43w, not a Hyperlite