Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (rydehype21i)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-04-2007, 7:34 PM Reply   
looking at a boat right now..really good deal but it has a single axle trailer..should i invest in a double axle? already lost a boat on a double axle so kind of nervous about the single axle.
Upload
just for your enjoyment
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-04-2007, 7:46 PM Reply   
Single axle trailer is easier to turn and maneuver. It also weighs much less.
You do have to weight them with better balance and they can't carry as much of a load.

I wouldn't worry if you have a light enough boat.
Nice shot of the convex v deck
Old    sdahockey21            11-04-2007, 8:31 PM Reply   
Ouch... What is the story here??
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-04-2007, 11:11 PM Reply   
Ouch.

In my book it would depend on what boat (size & weight) and truck (wheelbase & engine size) your using.

Bigger boats & smaller trucks should use tandem axle trailers because they tend to track straight easier.

Smaller boats or trucks over 3/4 ton, shouldn't really matter if your using a single or dual axle.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-05-2007, 12:30 AM Reply   
How about pulling the boat behind a 5th wheel trlr? Double betterthen?
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-05-2007, 6:28 AM Reply   
Ricky what is the story?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-05-2007, 8:34 AM Reply   
we had a tire blow out right after we bought the boat on the drive home, luckly the trailer was a double, but were able to drive it off the interstate to a fleetfarm and get a tire... if you're hauling the boat quite often i would say a double is the way to go... now that we have the boat home, we put it in once a year, and take it out once, the trailer is used a total of .25 miles a year so a single would be fine for us now.... depends on situation
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-05-2007, 8:49 AM Reply   
I've never towed two trailers at once, but have to imagine that trailers need to track straight as can be to make it an easy trip. So yea, duals would be good. Might also have less tongue weight than a single.
Old     (kal_dude)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-05-2007, 9:38 AM Reply   
i wouldn't buy anything with out a tandem axle trailer, if your going to spend the $$$$ on a boat get the tandem axle and you wont have to worry about it!! you will have a higher resale value as well! it will tow better and be safer!
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-05-2007, 12:22 PM Reply   
I agree with Nick, depends on how far and how often you tow. Single axle is less expensive to purchase and maintain (2 tires instead of 4 to replace, etc.) and I can think of other ways to spend a couple of grand, but if I towed all the time it would be worth peace of mind to get the tandem.
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-05-2007, 1:04 PM Reply   
Between the ride of a tandem and the way it tracks you can’t go wrong with a tandem over a single. The other thing is if they offer a torsion axle over a spring axle you will not believe the difference between the two. I have a work trailer with a single leaf spring axle and a boat with a tandem torsion axle. The difference is like night and day. Just my 2 cents
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-05-2007, 1:09 PM Reply   
You can't post a pic like that without putting the story up as well.

BTW I have had a blowout on single axle and it wasn't that big of a deal. The rim was ruined by the time I stopped, but it was pretty non eventful. Felt the tire go, checked the mirror, pulled over and slowed down without slamming on the breaks. I think the ain thing it to be sure you have transom tie downs, and you decelerate smoothly.

(Message edited by OlskoolTige on November 05, 2007)
Old     (macrogpx2)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-05-2007, 1:25 PM Reply   
I would say tandem. I had a bearing blow out last summer and was able to limp the boat home on three tires, wouldn't reccomend for a long distance, but iwould have been upstream without a paddle if it was only a single.
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-05-2007, 1:27 PM Reply   
I blew a tire on the interstate just south of Sandpoint this summer on a single axle and it didn't make a big event. The jack not working made it much more eventful. That was the Griswald Family Vacation holiday!
Old     (sanddragon2004)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-05-2007, 2:06 PM Reply   
tandem axle trailers all the way.
Old     (rydehype21i)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-06-2007, 12:06 AM Reply   
The story is we left in the middle of the night to lake havasu, about one hour out at 7 in the morning, it was my boat but someone else was driving the truck (f-250 10 inch box lift) not sure if the driver fell asleep or the wheel locked up, and came off, but i was sleeping woke up to us on in the dirt, when the driver tried to get back onto the highway to after losing control i turned around and saw the boat flip off the trailer..it was a very sad day for me.

Anyways i found a good deal on a 02 malibu wakesetter but it has a single axle trailer, will dealers trade in and sell just trailers? or is there somewhere i can look into buying one?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-06-2007, 5:40 AM Reply   
I bought a single axle for parking maneuverability. I have towed it from the midwest to FL with no issues. Basically you need a spare tire in case you have a flat tire.

Also drive the speed limit and you'll have a much safer tow, regardless of trailer type.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-06-2007, 6:33 AM Reply   
I put a solid 2k miles this summer on a single axle trailer. I always check tire pressure, keep the hubs greased, and take a spare.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-06-2007, 7:05 AM Reply   
Also keep in mind how much you tow. A tandem is more suited for long trips week after week. A single is suite for quick runs to the local lake, and the occasional long haul.
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-06-2007, 7:38 AM Reply   
I broke a leaf spring on my trailer this summer when I hit a elk with my boat when trailering at night on the way up to Lake Powell. At the time of the accident I thought that I missed the elk and continued to drive 90 miles up to Page, AZ. Upon arriving at Page I then realized that I had hit the elk with my boat and that the trailer was messed up pretty bad. I was so glad that I had my dual axle trailer b/c this accident would have ruined my trip and possibly my SAN if the other axle didn't carry the load for those 90 miles. I do like the manuverability of a single axle trailer but my boat means a lot to me and my family and it was saved due to that second axle.

Upload
Old     (kal_dude)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-06-2007, 10:03 AM Reply   
if you tow with a single axle trailer, you should have 2 spares!!!!! just to be safe!