Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-24-2005, 2:27 PM Reply   
I remember a thread awhile back about boat detailing in the Sacramento area, but I don't think any WW members had any boat specific experience with any of the companies listed.

Last week my old man had a guy out at his house (where I store my boat), doing some detail work on a few cars. I was pretty impressed with the work, so I showed him my boat. My 04 X2 was looking pretty hammered. It's got 300 hours of hard use, and very little cosmetic maintenance. Within 5 minutes he convinced me to drop it off at his shop on the corner of 16th and I street in downtown Sac. I dropped it off on a Sunday night, and he was finished by the following Wednesday.

It was not cheap, but , it just blew my mind when I went and picked up the boat last night! It seriously looks as good, if not better, than it did when brand new. If I were trying to sell this boat, I guarantee the first person that came to look at it would buy it.

Here's a short list of the work he did:

-Remove all of the wax and crap that I had built up on the hull over the last year
-Buff and wax entire hull
-Remove water spots from trailer and rims
-Remove water spots from all glass and chrome
-Remove water spots and dirt from ALL aluminum
-Vacuumed and shampooed the carpet
-Cleaned all of the crap from under all seats
-Cleaned all of the carpet under each seat and storage area
-Cleaned every seat, top and bottom, totally spotless
-Washed and waxed the trailer

....the list goes on and on. Simply put, every single aspect of the whole entire boat is as clean, or more clean than it was when I bought the boat brand new.

He also explained to me the proper method and tools for wiping down a boat (exact opposite of what I was doing), and hooked me up with a fancy chamois.

The total ended up being $450. Yes, very expensive. My boat was extra costly, because the whole entire thing was completely filthy, and he had to chemically strip all of the old wax and crap that I'd built up.

A lot of the work he did can be done by anybody with a lot of spare time and a desire to save some $$$. However, his buffing, waxing, and water spot removal are unbelievable!

I will definitely be taking my boat to him again at the end of the summer, and he's going to do my truck in the next week or two.

The guy's name is Cameron, and the business is:

Priority Auto Spa
821 16th Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
916-441-7700

Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-24-2005, 2:38 PM Reply   
glad to hear your boat looks as good as new. All X2's should look this way. So what where his suggestions on "the proper method and tools for wiping down a boat"?
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-24-2005, 2:41 PM Reply   
Joe,
Thanks for the info. We will have to check him out. Did he give a breakdown of what each portion cost or was it an hourly rate. Also did he say what a "normal" cost would be if it were kept up.
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-24-2005, 2:48 PM Reply   
Ant, his wipedown method was actually really easy and simple. You need a nice chamois, and a clean bucket.

#1- When you're leaving to go to the river/Delta/lake, take the clean bucket and put a few gallons of water in it. Throw the $30 chamois in the bucket to soak.

#2- When you pull the boat out of the water, take the chamois out of the bucket, ring it out, and start drying the boat.

#3- When you're finished, throw the chamois back in the bucket of water and drive home.

#4- When you get home, take the chamois out of the bucket, hose it off, and hang it up to dry.

Tate, I'm not sure what the normal cost would be. I know mine was $50 extra because he had to chemically strip the hull. You can just call him up and ask him, though he might want to see the boat first to get a good idea of the cost.

The guy is funny. Listening to him talk about detailing is like listening to me and my friends talk about wakeboarding. He's definitely passionate about his business.