Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-16-2012, 4:30 PM Reply   
I have been on the same river for the past 17 years of my life and have been surfing for the last 5 of them and this weekend I was told by a Marine Patrol Man that wakesurfing is illegal in Mississipi because we were to close to the back of the boat. We were about 10 feet away and he insisted that we could hit our head on the back platform but basic physics would prove otherwise. It is almost impossible to hit the back of the boat or atleast I have never done so due to the fact that the boat is always moving forward. The marine patrol man did not even know what wakesurfing was or how it worked and once we explained to him how it works he didnt have much to say expect that this was going to happen on "his" river. He even went as far to say that we were going to hit the prop which made me laugh.

He pulled us over because he thought that we were riding on the back platform while the boat was under way but due to the fact that he was behind us he didnt have a plain view to judge what we were doing and how. I looked up rules in mississippi and not once does it say anything about wakesurfing or how far behind the boat you have to be. Could someone with some insight maybe help me out because this guy tried to write me a ticket for some as pety as wakesurfing. Or as he called it:banghead reckless endangerment.

Sorry I needed to vent for a second as this guy put an end to a great day on the water.

These are the rules that I found http://www.boat-ed.com/ms/handbook/ski.htm

Any help would be great as i love to surf and would like to prove this guy wrong as he repeatedly told me that he will be there all summer.
Old     (tmill)      Join Date: May 2011       04-16-2012, 9:42 PM Reply   
you need to look up the boating laws in your state, county, and city to find out if it is illegal
Old     (DealsGapCobra)      Join Date: May 2010       04-17-2012, 7:19 AM Reply   
You can prove it is illegal by finding the law that says to...cannot prove it is legal because you can't find a law against it...frustrating. I went through a similar thing about boat capacity years ago. My advise would be to get on the phone and start calling officials in the agency that governs your waters.

Good luck.

PS - My guess is that there is a law that say he can use his judgment about something being reckless...so be polite next time you see him.
Old     (Chuch)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-17-2012, 7:23 AM Reply   
On Lake Gaston, here in VA we went through a spell of this as well. They were saying that once the rider threw in the rope, they were then classified as a swimmer. The boat must stay a certain distance away from anyone "swimming" therefore we had a few officers handing out some pretty hefty tickets. Not sure where it ended up.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       04-17-2012, 7:33 AM Reply   
contact Larry Meddock at WSIA, water sports industry association, I went through the same thing on a perfect day ruined by an over zellus water cop that had no idea what he was talking about, you can also contact Jay Baker @ wakesurfNC.com, he helped with some legislative rulings in VA, another story..I was setting up a booth at the Charlotte NC boat show and the water cops booth was directly across from ours and one of those clowns went off on a wake surf video that I had playing, guess it just looks like to much fun to them so it must be illegal
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-17-2012, 7:52 AM Reply   
David, where are you in Mississippi? we ride on the pearl river and have never had a problem, i also have a few buddies that work at the game and fish as well as rez patrol, but those guys thought it was cool when we were doing it. They told me its not illegal. Also, I have been skiing, wakeboarding and everything else on the pearl since i was born, and i had a guy stop us while my dad was trick skiing and told us we couldn't ski/wakeboard up river anymore except for this one little area! my dad has been skiing up there for longer than that was born and said could you please provide me with the documentation that says that. he ended saying that he would "prefer" that we didn't as he felt it was too dangerous! I laughed. But yea you can call game and fish or the boating laws.

and i agree, being nice to them always helps. next time you see them out there in their tshirts and vest and pants, go by them and offer them a bottle of water or something, they'll start being nice if they know ya! we see that kid that pulled us over all the time and he just sits there and watches us ride. he'll come over and talk to us too but just to be friendly.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-17-2012, 2:33 PM Reply   
Thanks for the feedback guys. I called the Marine Patrol office today and the response that I got from them was that it is not stated in the rule book but the office will see it as reckless endangerment due to the fact that we are to close to the back of the boat.

I found this kind of funny but he told me that you are supposed to be towed 100ft from the rear of the boat while tubing/shki/wakeboarding/etc and thats being towed by a rope which does not make sense becuase they dont even makes ski ropes that long and even if they did then you could do anything.

So, still not defiite answer.

Sippi- we have a house on the Jourdan River in Kiln. We have had this place for 20 years now and i have been wakesufing the past 6 and never once ever had a problem with wildlife and fisheries. They actually told me that is I wanted to continue this sport I should go to the pearl river ha
Old     (drnate)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-17-2012, 3:40 PM Reply   
If it was me, I would let him write me a ticket and then show up in Court on Court Day loaded with laws and information and as many attorneys as necessary. More than likely, he won't show up anyway, and you win.

But then again, being nice can't hurt.

But I'm not giving up wakesurfing for any man, ticket be damned! Hahaaa
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-18-2012, 9:40 PM Reply   
Being respectful is fine but always make them show you the law in writing in the books ! Otherwise it''s an opinion and while I respect others opinions if I'm not breaking the law, leave me the the hell alone. I get sick and tired of guys in badges with attitudes and agendas hassling folks when they don't have just cause or facts straight. I'm 47yrs old and have had run ins with over zealous guys like the one you mentioned and now if they can't prove a violation by the rules and laws I tell them to leave me alone and come back with facts,not opinions. We always treat officers ect.. with respect but it's a two way street. They shoould never forget the public pays their salary and they are public servants. Do your research and know your facts and you will be fine. Always have the proper safety eq ect... so they don't have any other issues with ya and have a blast wakesurfin".
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-19-2012, 8:11 AM Reply   
I would get a copy of the MS boaters ed and boating laws to take up there or have it in the boat with you. Im 99.999% pos that the 100ft thing is not a law, no one could ride that far away, if that was the case then we should get tickets everytime somebody is pulled period. I agree though being nice or respectful but to a point is the way to go. Im not going to be respectful if they arent, no point in smiling about it while they are bendin you over!

Side note, I have no idea where you are talking about and ive lived here all my life haha. But if you ever wanna ride we are always on the pearl! Your more than welcome!
Old     (kayakwv)      Join Date: Apr 2012       04-19-2012, 8:51 AM Reply   
Most State Supreme Court websites have free links to the laws of that state, in this case, the Mississippi Code. Here's a couple statutes from a quick search:

§ 59-21-83. Operation of vessel in reckless or negligent manner, while operator is incapacitated, etc

No vessel shall be operated within this state in a reckless or negligent manner or at a rate of speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the then existing circumstances or when the operator is so physically or mentally incapacitated as to be incapable of safely operating such vessel, or while the operator is under the influence of intoxicating liquor or narcotics, or when such vessel is overloaded beyond its reasonable carrying capacity. The provisions of this section shall be applicable to all watercraft operating on the waters of this state inclusive of, but not limited to, undocumented or unnumbered vessels and shall specifically include all vessels exempted from numbering by Section 59-21-5 and surfboards, aquaplanes, airboats, water skis or other watercraft.

§ 59-21-87. Regulation of water skiing, aquaplaning, etc

No person shall operate a motorboat on any waters of this state while towing a person on water skis, or on an aquaplane or similar device, without an observer in the boat in addition to the operator. Such observer shall be above ten years of age.

The provisions of the first paragraph of this section do not apply to a person engaged in a professional exhibition or a person participating in an official regatta, motorboat race, marine parade, tournament or exhibition.

No person shall operate or manipulate any motorboat, tow rope or other device by which the direction or location of water skis, aquaplane, or similar device may be affected or controlled in such a way as to cause the water skis, aquaplane, or similar device, or any person thereon to collide or strike against any object or person, except slalom buoys, ski jumps or like objects used normally in competitive or recreational skiing.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
--Didn't see anything that specifically applied to wakesurfing, but you could spend some time reviewing the laws and regulation to know your rights. This Chapter 59 also allows local municipalities and agencies to adopt local rules which can be enforced, and also sets out the penalties for violations of Chapter 59.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

Last edited by kayakwv; 04-19-2012 at 8:58 AM.
Old     (BlairJ)      Join Date: Jun 2010       04-20-2012, 5:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
On Lake Gaston, here in VA we went through a spell of this as well. They were saying that once the rider threw in the rope, they were then classified as a swimmer. The boat must stay a certain distance away from anyone "swimming" therefore we had a few officers handing out some pretty hefty tickets. Not sure where it ended up.
We had Fish and Game give us the same deal on Lake Chesdin in VA, starting a year or two ago.
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-20-2012, 9:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by davez71 View Post
I found this kind of funny but he told me that you are supposed to be towed 100ft from the rear of the boat while tubing/shki/wakeboarding/etc and thats being towed by a rope which does not make sense becuase they dont even makes ski ropes that long and even if they did then you could do anything.
Based on this then it is also illegal to barefoot off of a boom too!
Old     (bikeman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-30-2012, 7:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by davez71 View Post
I have been on the same river for the past 17 years of my life and have been surfing for the last 5 of them and this weekend I was told by a Marine Patrol Man that wakesurfing is illegal in Mississipi because we were to close to the back of the boat. We were about 10 feet away and he insisted that we could hit our head on the back platform but basic physics would prove otherwise. It is almost impossible to hit the back of the boat or atleast I have never done so due to the fact that the boat is always moving forward. The marine patrol man did not even know what wakesurfing was or how it worked and once we explained to him how it works he didnt have much to say expect that this was going to happen on "his" river. He even went as far to say that we were going to hit the prop which made me laugh.

He pulled us over because he thought that we were riding on the back platform while the boat was under way but due to the fact that he was behind us he didnt have a plain view to judge what we were doing and how. I looked up rules in mississippi and not once does it say anything about wakesurfing or how far behind the boat you have to be. Could someone with some insight maybe help me out because this guy tried to write me a ticket for some as pety as wakesurfing. Or as he called it:banghead reckless endangerment.

Sorry I needed to vent for a second as this guy put an end to a great day on the water.

These are the rules that I found http://www.boat-ed.com/ms/handbook/ski.htm

Any help would be great as i love to surf and would like to prove this guy wrong as he repeatedly told me that he will be there all summer.
David, we need pics of your new boat! I'm enjoying your old VLX trying to get the port side surf wake dialed in. Been meaning to email you on some how to use the stereo questions, u still have your sum address?

That blue has really grown on me and I'm really enjoying the boat.
Thanks!
Chris
Old     (inland_surfer)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-31-2012, 3:24 PM Reply   
Give Larry Meddock a shout at WSIA [ Water Ski Ind. of America ] and he can help you out.

WSIA
Ph/Fx: 407-251-9039
info@wsia.net

www.twitter.com/WSIA2010
www.facebook.com/watersportsindustryassoc
www.linkedin.com/in/watersports