Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bushtree)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-29-2011, 10:55 AM Reply   
Hi Everyone,

Interested in the communities knowledge of the Mastercraft X2 ('06-'07). I'm looking at picking up a wakeboat here pretty soon and am really starting to like the X2. The smaller picklefork boats are really starting to look appealing.. I rarely have a large group on the boat, so I'm not to interested in the larger 22-24ft boats.

Any things to look for, known issues, pros/cons etc. ? The last boat I had was an '05 SANTE 210, although I had to let it go a few years back. So this will be the first boat in about ~ 4 years.

Would be used for wakeboarding, wakesurf, and just relaxing in the sun. I've seen that there was a wakeplate option for this boat? How important is this to wakeboarding and/or wakesurfing ?

Thanks!
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-29-2011, 11:22 AM Reply   
I owned an 06 X2 for 3 summers. There are alot of opinions out there about the boat, but I loved mine. The wake is clean and rampy and with some weight it gets really good. Is it as good as the XStar? No. But unless you need a pro sized wake, it will give you all you want. It will be much different than your 210 and will probably require more weight than it did. I had teh fly high system plus a 400 lb sac in the bow and it was BIG! The only down side I would say is the wake is wide, much different than the narrow wake you are used to, so you are kinda forced to ride a shorter line. The surf wake is good as well, considering its only 20'. Its a little short but adding weight to the nose will legnthen it a bit.

I had zero issues or complaints about the build quality. It was a great boat even after 300 hrs.

The wake plate was an option, but I didnt have it. I dont think it would be much help to you unless you want to waterski.
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       03-29-2011, 11:57 AM Reply   
I use to ride alot behind an 07 X2, and really liked it. Like Adam said the wake is a little wider, but the shape was really nice and with enough ballast it gets pretty big. i really liked the size of the boat, plenty of storage and room for friends, but not huge and can be put in the garage no problem. I never surfed it though, but I have heard it has potential.
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-29-2011, 3:21 PM Reply   
I have an 06 x2 that I bought new and have a little over 300 hrs on it now almost exclusively in salt water use. The biggest con is that the wake is very wide compared to like a 210. The benefit is that it's easier on your knees but you can't go as long on the rope. The boat is huge inside for a 20 footer and handles chop really well. The boat likes weight so I would recommend getting the fly high set up. My favorite thing about the boat is the build quality. IMO for a ski boat Mastercraft are the most rugged. My boat is not a salt water series but everything on it is stainless steel and aluminum. Mastercrafts also come with JL speakers which are the best sounding and most rugged marine speakers available. I would really recommend the X2 if you're looking for a boat in that size range. It really can't be beat.
Old     (bushtree)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-29-2011, 3:51 PM Reply   
Is the fly high setup that people are referring to the factory ballast system? Or is this some aftermarket system that is being run in addition to the factory X2 ballast? Also, how Wide are we talking? Most wakes would be considered wide in comparison to the SANTE 210 right? What length rope are you guys riding at behind the X2?

Is jumping Wake-to-Wake an issue behind the X2? Landing out in the flats is not going to happen?

There are no dealers around here than have an X2 in-stock to be able to demo... hence all the questions.

Last edited by bushtree; 03-29-2011 at 3:53 PM. Reason: Add
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-29-2011, 4:36 PM Reply   
"Is the fly high setup that people are referring to the factory ballast system? Or is this some aftermarket system that is being run in addition to the factory X2 ballast?"

After market.

"Is jumping Wake-to-Wake an issue behind the X2?"

Not at all.

"Landing out in the flats is not going to happen?"

Depends on your riding.
Old     (BTV)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-29-2011, 7:12 PM Reply   
I have 2007 X2 with trim tab plate. Helps with handling when cruising. Never use it wakeboarding or surfing. Helps ski wake. I rarely use mine.
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-29-2011, 7:35 PM Reply   
Cant complain about mine either mine is a 2006 540 hours on the old girl cant complain
Old     (jkgriner)      Join Date: Oct 2009       03-29-2011, 7:49 PM Reply   
Having a wider wake is by no means a bad thing, it just allows you to charge it harder and still land soft on the down wake instead of in the trough. I wish I had a wider boat every time I'm behind my boat.
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       03-30-2011, 8:01 AM Reply   
I have an 06 X2. Most everything about the boat impresses me except for the factory battery/stereo amp wiring. Had to re do all of that because it was a mess. The only known problem that I'm aware of is the fuel pumps on all MC's from the late 90's to present ??? may have some issues, but that's less than a $100 part form the auto parts store or $400-500 for a new fuel pump module from the dealer.
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-02-2011, 9:02 PM Reply   
A friend of mine has an 07 x2. It's a really nice boat. Great fit and finish. He added a bow sack and 400lb sacks on top of the factory hard tanks. The wake is big but is wider than most. It's also hard to keep it from washing past 75' feet. We ride around 23mph at 75' with full ballast. Tons of room in the boat for a twenty footer. He doesn't have the wakeplate. I think it's only used to flatten out the wake for slalom skiers. It puts out a pretty decent surf wake too.

A coworker of mine has an 06 x2. He has pretty much the same setup but has the fly high system installed. For some reason it uses valves to switch to fill the bags and bow sack rather than just filling them through the overflow of the factory setup. He unknowingly had both bilge pumps fail and then had a manifold crack and his engine ended up half covered with water by the time he realized what was happening. They fixed it under warranty, but he has starter and other electrical issues since then. He also had his fuel pump fail last summer. I think it was $800 to have it replaced. Mastercraft corporate warrantied the pump after her complained, so he ended up only being out $200 for labor.