Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 03, 2009

Old     (vtecths)      Join Date: May 2009       05-31-2009, 1:54 PM Reply   
I have been wakeboarding for about 3 seasons now and just cant seem to progress. The first season I was really just trying to get comfortable with even riding behind the boat and on the board being as it was my first time ever wakeboarding or even being out on the lake.

Season #2 I was able to start edging out across the wake and doing some basic jumps back into the middle but still unable to clear wake to wake.

Fast forward to Season #3 where we are now and I am still having trouble doing much else from where i was last summer. I am not sure if its my approach, board, or just my own ability.

I have tried this summer so far to not go out so far from the wake where my approach angle would be greater than say 45* and i have been able to keep the speed up and almost go wake to wake however the height of the jump is not very impressive.

I have been trying to watch as many online vids as i can to see some techniques but any advice people have would be great.

The board i have is a entry level Obrien board with Obrien bindings. It is a 141 and i am 6'3" and 185lbs. I am riding at approx 65 to 70 feet at 21mph. I am looking at getting a different board in the next couple weeks and would also like a suggestion on what to get.

Thanks in advance

Ryan
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       05-31-2009, 2:22 PM Reply   
to advance the most just go out and try new things or even things you already know but better and harder. If you aren't falling you are not trying
Old     (bsebllhglyknit)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-31-2009, 2:57 PM Reply   
Try and post a video of you riding.

I was in the same position as you. What really help me progress was going out with a couple guys who were clearing the wake and doing flips.

I agree with the if your not falling your not trying statement.

Just remember make is a slow progressive edge back towards the wake and extend you legs at the base of the wake. The harder you extend the higher you will go.
Old     (gunnertom4593)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-31-2009, 3:14 PM Reply   
When I was trying to learn wake to wakes I thought I was doing everything that people were telling me (standing tall, doing the progressive edge, all that) but then when I saw myself do it I realized I really wasn't. My main problem was committing to standing tall at the wake. Just commit to it and think to yourself that going wake to wake will land easier than coming up short, come in confidently and really exaggerate the standing tall at the wake.

Also, I first started with an entry level obrien and couldn't get anywhere until I got myself a legit setup, if nothing else it just gave me more confidence to get out there and stick it.

I recommend something with a 3-stage rocker that isn't too aggressive or a continuous. I finally got it on a Ronix Covin 133 (continuous rocker board), the smaller board made me feel like I could control it easier. At 145 lbs, I now ride the witness 140. I think the witness 140 could be a good fit for you too, at 185lbs you could go bigger with the 144 but from my experience the 140 will feel easier to control. The witness has a 3 stage kick, but its very predictable, forgiving, and easy to control all around (edging, turning, pop, speed, landings, etc).

Any more questions let me know.
Old     (andrewilso)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-01-2009, 4:53 AM Reply   
Take it slow dude dont rush, you want to just enjoy your self and have fun thats what it is all about and also the best advice i ever got.
i would say have a go at 1 wake jumps at 70 ft till you have sussed the pop and are clearing half way, then shorten the rope so you are closer to the peaks (the v) of the wake,
this does depend on how much ballast you have and were the wake forms. on our boat its about 60ft and then do exactly what you were doing for 1 wake, and take it w2w good luck
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-01-2009, 7:35 AM Reply   
I think often we forget the why we do enjoyable hobbies. Once progressing in an endeavor, we get too caught up in where we "should" be, comparing ourselves to others or some sort of arbitrary measurement. How about just enjoy being out on the water & riding, trying new things and being with friends/family? Do that, and the progression will come.

I'm an old guy that aspires to be like John Anderson, a more advanced old guy, some day. If I get there great! Either way, I'm going to do my best to enjoy trying.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-01-2009, 8:28 AM Reply   
....I agree with progression will come but from what I have seen , slow "progressors" lack the aggression and willingness to fall, because of the lack of aggression one is usually timid in approaching the wake and one does all the things to kill the jump.....ie. dont straighten legs but absorb wake by bending knees, letting off edge to soon, not edging hard enough with the proper acceleration (not talking top speed here, but acceleration )

so with that get yourself a helmet and crash with confidence!

(Message edited by absoluteboarder on June 01, 2009)
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-01-2009, 8:32 AM Reply   
your board, rope length and speed are all fine.

when i was learning to jump the wake i was only able to jump half the wake for the LONGEST time. we took mitch out to the lake just for fun and it turned out that he was able to teach me a TON progressive edge is what its all about. and just cut really really hard. the first two times out on the water after i went with mitch i wasnt getting alot of pop and i still had to cut really hard. but after that i realized that i still wasnt cutting all the way through the wake. i just had to grow a pair and cut all the way through it. after that i doubled maybe even trippled my pop.

what i also found that helps. is when you cutting toward the wake have your arms straight out in front of you. and right as you hit the bottom of the wake, pull your elbows in your hips and lock them in. and at the top straighten you legs. the arms thing helped increase my pop due to creating more line tension. Im not sure if this is part of your of your problem as well, but when i was learning i would have my elbows slightly bent i would lose a ton of line tension because when i would hit the wake my elbows would bend and create slack.

we took this kid from my school to the lake over the weekend. he has been strugling to clear the wake for over a year. (and he rides behind an LSV with ballast) and he still couldnt clear it. i ride behind an i/o, but anyways. i told him pretty much what i just told you, and now he is clearing the wake.

Once you get the cut towards the wake down. and edging all the way through the wake (thats a big one) then jumping will become very easy. you wont have to cut out as far before coming into the wake. and youll be able to start progressing much more quickly them ever before.
IMO the most important thing to learn when it comes to wakeboarding is a good progressive edge.

I hope this is what you where looking for.

Have fun out there!
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-01-2009, 8:52 AM Reply   
P.S
when it comes to board size. between 139 and 142 is perfect for you. i weigh 185 ish, and i ride a 139. i really like that size. my dad rides a 142 watson, and i get tons of pop with it, but i dont have as good of control as i do with the 139 lyman. its all a preference thing. so demo some boards if you can
Old     (vtecths)      Join Date: May 2009       06-01-2009, 9:15 AM Reply   
I appreciate all the comments from everyone. I will try to get some video next time out to help see what I am doing exactly.

I am going to try to shorten the rope to an exact 65' and see what happens.

The boat I have is a Bayliner 205XT with no additional ballast. I know its not a true wakeboat but got a very nice deal on it new and its more for my family and kids than anything. I am also thinking about putting in the Perfect Pass for the boat as with the I/O the speed predictability is not very great.

As far as a new setup, I have looked at a bunch of Liquid Force, CWB, and Ronix boards. This is pretty much what the Ski Pro near me has in stock and they have some really great deals on the new 08 stuff they want to get rid of. I dont think being able to demo boards is an option so if anyones got other suggestions about a good setup let me know. The wife has a LF Diva and loves the board and bindings.

Thanks,

Ryan
Old     (vtecths)      Join Date: May 2009       06-01-2009, 9:17 AM Reply   
"to advance the most just go out and try new things or even things you already know but better and harder. If you aren't falling you are not trying"

Oh trust me... there is alot of falling going on!
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-01-2009, 9:28 AM Reply   
i ride the lyman with 08 shanes. AMAZING board. best set up ive ever ridden
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-01-2009, 10:37 AM Reply   
Another thing to try is go out to local demo's and events where you can usually try new product and get some pointers. You can always sign up for a lesson with someone. Or as other people have suggested try and find more advanced riders that are willing to ride with you who can give you some coaching/advice.
Old     (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-01-2009, 11:00 AM Reply   
I probably rode for five years not clearing the wake and not knowing wtf I was doing when I decided take a lesson. That day took me from where you describe yourself at to trying my first inverts. I am not saying you will have a magical transformation or anything but riding with somebody who is GOOD at teaching will help. Do not just go out with any guy who can do fancy stuff. Some people can ride well and some can teach well. I agree with your idea to get a different board. Something that has a three stage rocker would help with your air problem. It sounds like you have have educated yourself on the proper way to jump. Try video recording yourself so you can see what you might be doing wrong. Post that vid on here and I am sure somebody will be able to tell you something.