Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old    alanp            08-02-2004, 10:03 PM Reply   
hey where do get these from? are these just electrovoice monitor speakers? ive also seen nvs speakers being posted on here a bit too. i would like to go as minimal as possible b/c the speakers need to be removed after every day at the lake? could i get buy with a pair and what how much amperage is needed to push them.(i would probably bridge the amp as ive done in my past set ups). anyway any info would be nice.
Old    chavezychavez            08-03-2004, 9:08 AM Reply   
If you get the EVID's - run them in parallel (mono) to a decent amp that puts out 200-300 watts RMS @ 4ohms.

Here is a start on stores:

http://www.proaudiosuperstore.com/evid.html
http://www.birdlandmusic.net/catalog/Sound_Equipment_EV_Speakers-p-1-c-95353.html

Otherwise, do a google search or check e-bay.

BTW - NVS is hands down the BEST. I heard Duane was working on some quick-release clamps so I wouldn't give up on them entirely....
Old    alanp            08-03-2004, 9:14 AM Reply   
thanks for the info. i dunno what i was thinking when i asked for correct "amperage" anyway ill check into them.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-03-2004, 9:38 AM Reply   
I believe the cheapest price is at http://www.audioallies.com/

what's the diff between the 6.2, 6.2T, and 6.2TW?
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-03-2004, 9:40 AM Reply   
nevermind...

EVID 6.2: Black Cabinet

EVID6.2TW: Internal 70v/100v line transformer. White cabinet

EVID6.2W: White cabinet

EVID6T: Internal 70v/100v line transformer Black cabinet
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-03-2004, 9:52 AM Reply   
I have been looking at these too, what does the line transformer do?
Old    chavezychavez            08-03-2004, 10:39 AM Reply   
I wonder if it's some sort of code word for X-over.

Bill (monstertower) do you know what the deal is?
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-03-2004, 1:19 PM Reply   
Audio Line Transformers

A transformer is a device that converts a voltage to a magnetic field and then back to a voltage again. It produces a related AC output signal without the input and output being physically connected together.
Transformers are AC only devices (operation depends on a changing magnetic field) and can be designed to operate at frequencies from about 0.01 Hz to many GHz. Generally those operating under about 1 MHz use multiple windings or turns of wire around the core of magnetic material to confine and concentrate the magnetic field. They are used to perform a variety of functions, like phase reversal, balanced to unbalanced coupling, impedance transformation and hybrid functions.
An isolation transformer connected between two pieces of audio equipment will prevent the flow of circulating earth currents, because there is no electrical connection between the input and output of the transformer (the audio signal is coupled only magnetically).
The physical size of audio transformers is dependent upon the lowest frequency and the power available at that frequency.
Transformers can be manufactured with multiple primary or secondary windings.
The input winding is called the primary side and the output (or load) winding is called the secondary side of the transformer. The input and output windings are electrically insulated from each other.
To prevent external magnetic fields from generating unwanted signals into the transformer, a magnetic shield around the transformer itself is also required.

I assume it's a 1:1 transformer: Called an isolation transformer, it has the same number of windings on the primary and the secondary side. The signal level does not change because of the same impedance for the primary and secondary.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-03-2004, 2:11 PM Reply   
Tuneman, I read that three times and I still can not figure out if it is neccisarry or even applicable to a boat stereo application. In english what will it do? Make the spekers clearer?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-03-2004, 2:45 PM Reply   
Tuneman, holy crap..what did that say??
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-03-2004, 3:15 PM Reply   
Tuneman, it's not an isolation transformer, it's audio voltage conversion transformer, not 1:1 and should not be used in out boat systems.

The transformer version is to be used on 70 volt PA amplifiers. These are typically used in public address systems at shopping malls and similar.

The Evid 6.2 is the model needed in your boat unless you want them and white. You may also want to use the optional weather proof speaker terminals but I don't really think they are necessary.

I run my amp bridged in mono with the speakers wired in parallel matching a 4 ohm load to a 4 ohm source pushing a little over 400 watts (200 watts to each speaker in this configuration). The amps internal crossover is set in high pass at 150hz, I also use a low level gain control so I can turn them down quickly.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-03-2004, 3:19 PM Reply   
I had a few ideas for a quick release but just decided to bolt them securely and hope for the best. Send me a personal message if you want some ideas. Most quick disconnect clamps would probably work with these.
Old    alanp            08-03-2004, 8:28 PM Reply   
will two of these be loud enough to hear? granted i dont need to sound like im front row in a concert but if i cant hear them while riding, there isnt much point.
Old     (wake_pop)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-04-2004, 6:31 AM Reply   
You can hear 2 of them real well when riding. Of course, so can lots of other people.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-04-2004, 8:11 AM Reply   
First question. If you run the amp bridged and wire the speakers isn't the amp running in 2ohm bridged? Here's my second question. I currently have 4 6.5's, I don't think they are loud enough. I have 65w X 4 RMS going to them. I was thinking about selling one pair and keeping the other and adding two evid 6.2's. Can I run two of the evids off two of the channels bridged in parallel. And run the other two 6.5's either bridged in parallel as well ,or just run off the remaining 2 channels (65wx2)? I also have another 4ch amp (ADS PQ20) about 65wx4 RMS . I have a two inch tower, can the tower handle the weight of the two evids, and two 6.5's?
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-04-2004, 8:33 AM Reply   
Forget about the transformer, you wont use that capability of the speaker. It's for if your chaining 20 or 50 of these together at a stadium. The come set default to 8 ohm.