Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-15-2012, 2:44 PM Reply   
i have a 06 twin engine x80 and been thinking about plumbing in some extra ballast over the factory . ive done some measuring and i can easily fit 2 1250s up front and 2 1250s in the back. i really dont wana do the work without a little intell
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-15-2012, 7:30 PM Reply   
Well maybe barrow a couple 750 pounders or maybe an 1100 and just use a hand pump to fill it. Just weight surf side and try to get as much of the weight in the rear corner (try and fill the lockers next to the engine). I have always thought the single engine x-80 could be an amazing surf wave. Only add bow weight if the wave needs length or the boat is struggling.

To really get the best sacs measure the area where sacs could go and get customs made or find the sac that comes close to filling the space. Here are some sacs and manual fill pumps.

http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-jumbo-surf-sac.html

http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-fat-sac.html

http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-tsunami-pump.html
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-16-2012, 9:44 AM Reply   
i would think that a boat that size is really going to need a lot of weight to sink it. I would start by putting as much weight on the surf side you can get. just like duffy said. There is one at our lake, but they through in the towel after last summer and purchased a new boat. I am not sure where they ended up wieight wise, but I know they had a lot. I would check out the mc forum. If you realy start to get serious about surfing, it becomes frustrating if you have to have bags all over the place and you still are not getting a great wake. A lot of peeps end up getting a more agressive wakeboat that has a deep v and can make a great wake without a ton of weight and bags all over the place. good luck
Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-16-2012, 1:33 PM Reply   
the x80 surf wake right now isnt that bad, i have a 2010 malibu 247 also and with the malibu ballast full on the surf side, i would say its a little better than the x80. but i wouldnt say its night and day difference. some of my friends actually like the x80 over my 247. wakeboarding is a different story. the x80 blows at wakeboarding. the wake is huge, but you have to run around 28-30 before it really starts cleaning up. and thats with 0 ballast and its like jumping over the moon to make it wake to wake. i really think if add enough ballast in the bow say around 2000-2500lbs and i can do that with out putting any sacks in the floor. i have a TON of room under my seats in the front for that much. it will make a night and day difference for wakeboarding, and i figure if i do the same in the rear beside the motors, put a 1250 on each side in the rear. i will have some seriouse weight in the boat, including the 100 gallon fuel tank. im just not fimilure with mastercrafts hull desighn and weight displacemet and how it effects the surf and wakeboard wakes
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-16-2012, 1:54 PM Reply   
your 247 should have a killer wave if you have the correct amount of weight in it. I think the guy on here is "wheel house" they have a rippen 247 for surfing. I would guess apriox 3500 on one side for the 247 and the wake is killer.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-16-2012, 2:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliottsx80 View Post
the x80 surf wake right now isnt that bad, i have a 2010 malibu 247 also and with the malibu ballast full on the surf side, i would say its a little better than the x80. but i wouldnt say its night and day difference. some of my friends actually like the x80 over my 247. wakeboarding is a different story. the x80 blows at wakeboarding. the wake is huge, but you have to run around 28-30 before it really starts cleaning up. and thats with 0 ballast and its like jumping over the moon to make it wake to wake. i really think if add enough ballast in the bow say around 2000-2500lbs and i can do that with out putting any sacks in the floor. i have a TON of room under my seats in the front for that much. it will make a night and day difference for wakeboarding, and i figure if i do the same in the rear beside the motors, put a 1250 on each side in the rear. i will have some seriouse weight in the boat, including the 100 gallon fuel tank. im just not fimilure with mastercrafts hull desighn and weight displacemet and how it effects the surf and wakeboard wakes
Ok. The 247 can make an INSANE wave. You guys must not have ever seen Wheelhouses set up.... http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=784874 Take a gander lol

I have yet to see an X80 throw an awesome wave. The singe engine I bet could do it, but the twin screw bad boys just don't cut it.....Too much prop wash. Guys that run FAE's have to add "wave flaps" to compensate for dragging, what do you think an extra turbulence throwing, cavitating, spinning monster is going to do shifter further onto the surf side is going to do to that clean face?.... keep it from becoming clean
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-16-2012, 2:21 PM Reply   
i cant remember the guys name at our lake in wv, but he said he could not get enough weight to list it when underway, it would "stand up straight" when under load, that maybe the issue with the dual motor. i am sure having that extra weigt opposing the wake makes it even harder to shape the wave. good luck
Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-16-2012, 2:50 PM Reply   
i just have factory ballast in my 247. im not saying it doesnt throw a mean wake for surfing. but the x80 isnt that bad either. the only reason i want to improve my x80. my lake crew has grown quite large and i just put a big system in the x80 and the boat is alot of fun to goof around in. i would never trade or sale my 247 just because i love the boat and its paid for. im just looking to see if anyone has done anything to improve there x80 surf wake. heres a link to us surfing behind the x80 and this is with 0 ballast and 3 people in the boat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrj0XQNHWGs
Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-16-2012, 2:54 PM Reply   
just sucks trying to find out anything on the boat because no one has one! and if they do they are old farts that dont know a thing about them. i know they cost alot and trying to pay for the fuel can suck. just looking for a little help
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-16-2012, 3:02 PM Reply   
it looks like balance may be your best option. weight both sides as much as you can then start to drain one side untill the wave starts to really form and look good without washing out. This way you know how the weight will affect the shape, height, etc etc i can wait to see what you can get out of it. I have only ever seen the x80 a few times. i spoke to the guys that had it and they really never had a large crew ( 2 or 3 peeps in the boat) so that probably had a lot to do with there results. They had random sac's all over the the boat,, not sure what was under the seats but they said they had been messing with it for some time. good luck
Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-16-2012, 3:48 PM Reply   
yea thats pretty sick joey, but seriously were comparing apples and oranges. thier 247 has so much ballast that its about to turn rudder up. im not saying my x80 can do better by no means but i dont even know if i can put that much weight in my x80 to make it sit on its side like that. but if i could that would be awesome to see what it does. but atleast i have some blueprints on how my 247 will respond to some xtra weight.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-16-2012, 6:58 PM Reply   
I really single a single screw x80 might be the best out if someone took the time to stuff 3-4k in surf ballast in it. Dual engines could be tough, but maybe if they spun the right way you could dial it in.
Old     (dlamont)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-18-2012, 12:52 PM Reply   
Robby,
you have to kill one of your engines or at least put it into neutral to surf the X80.
Here is how we set up the port side:
Kill Starboard engine
1000lbs in port side corner
fill all stock ballast
starboard trim down 100%
portside trim down 40%
You'll have to play around with the trim set up depending on how much weight you run and people.

The key is to kill the other engine.

Good luck!!
Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-18-2012, 7:37 PM Reply   
thanks darren ill give that i try.
Old     (switchblade)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-07-2016, 2:03 AM Reply   
2,200lbs of ballast on the side you want to surf. You don't need to cut one of the engines. Trim tab at 100% on the back side. Nice wake!