Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-26-2012, 7:09 PM Reply   
Just wondering who the very talented riders in the Sanger were. Maybe Ben Greenwood? They were filming with a Go Pro on a stick. Near Walnut Grove. Sick riding for sure. Fun to watch.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-26-2012, 10:01 PM Reply   
That was my boat... I'm guessing you were in the black 210(nice boat btw)?

Benny G(aka Chris Strickland), Lyman(aka Conor Bayuk) and Bryce MIller were the riders you probably saw. They all kill it for sure. We were taking some footage for a future Left Coast LF edit and maybe a few alliance amateur hours...

Thank you for the nice comments... They definitely appreciated it, and now we have a nick name for Chris Strickland
Attached Images

Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-26-2012, 10:33 PM Reply   
Lol....I figured it was you Ryan but wasn't sure on your boats colors.....
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-26-2012, 10:49 PM Reply   
Yep that was us. Your wake was mackin too! I had to cross that thing! It sent one rollin over my transom when we were parked. That rarely happens and usually its because I wasn't paying attention when a yacht rolls by. We aren't used to that level of riding down there and we've been there for ten years. I wanted to roll up and see if you guys wanted some chase boat footage since you were filming but everyone said "no they'll think we're creepers"... Tell Ben we said "nice job". :-) That's two Wakeworlders I met in two days out there. I met "Greg the hammer" on Saturday. Small world.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-26-2012, 11:36 PM Reply   
You should have rolled up. We probably would have taken you up on that offer. I haven't met Greg the hammer yet but with a name like that I expect a lot haha. We'll be out again at least 2 days next weekend riding the river. It's my home ride spot and Chris's also. He has a late 90's Sport Nautique I think. You keep your boat on a lift at the boathouse? I thought I've seen it there before. Anyway feel free to say whats up next time you see us out there. My ankle is jacked up so I'm just pulling my buddies lately.
Old     (nmcjr)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-27-2012, 5:15 PM Reply   
I've seen that boat out there before. Those guys are mean, especially if you're power turning!!
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-27-2012, 6:03 PM Reply   
^ Bahahaha
Old     (beastmaster)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-27-2012, 7:29 PM Reply   
Not all the guys on that boat are mean. Myself, I am known as a modern day saint. The one you need to watch for is Lindsey (Ryans Girl). When I was riding, I asked for a speed encrease and in return I got the bird. And when I asked them why do they power turn, they said "we like the sound the engine makes, now sit down and shut up". All true.....
Old     (nmcjr)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-27-2012, 7:42 PM Reply   
I was't going to mention her. After all, she's referred to as "the one we don't speak of"...now you've done it...
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-27-2012, 9:55 PM Reply   
Is she the one in the green or teal bikini who spent a long time bending over on the swim platform before getting into the water to ride? We were wondering if that was just some sort of ritual she does or something. She must work out. Talk amongst yourselves.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-28-2012, 10:50 AM Reply   
Mark- As a dedicated wakeboarder and glassy water enthusiast I feel compelled to spread some knowledge. I noticed the first time your boat passed your rider fell, whoever was driving the boat did a power turn to go pick them up. You seem like a smart guy with lots of boating experience so I'm guessing it wasn't you that was driving? If your not familiar with what a power turn is it explains it here:
http://wakeworld.com/news/feature/fr...powerturn.html

I don't mean to be rude... Just trying to keep the river glassy for all of us!

P.s. No that wasn't my girl but it was my friends girl...

Maybe we can get together and ride sometime
Old     (beastmaster)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-28-2012, 10:51 AM Reply   
All kidding aside, it was a great day on the water. The only thing that would make the Chanel better would be, if we can stop the power turners.
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-28-2012, 11:22 AM Reply   
Ryan

I am assuming I am talking to the right Ryan.
This thread made me think of your videos on vimeo. My favorite being Angry Fisherman thanks for posting it. Makes me laugh every time!
Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-28-2012, 11:39 AM Reply   
Damn power turnssss.....wheres walnut grove?
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-28-2012, 12:04 PM Reply   
Yes those are my videos. The angry fisherman day was pretty hilarious.

Gnar- its a terrible place full of power turners, tubers, cold water and giant yacts... You don't want to go there... Trust me
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-28-2012, 12:12 PM Reply   
Oh and surfers... Can't forget about them
Old     (linz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-28-2012, 12:48 PM Reply   
Gee! I didn't know you all had so much respect/fear for the wrath of ME! Rawr! Lol.
Also good to know for next time that a nice ass does not go unnoticed in that stretch of the river. I'll continue to wear my long board shorts ;-) for everyone's safety.
:-P
Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-28-2012, 1:56 PM Reply   
I remembered seeing walnut grove on maps...that's way down there. Any real reason to go that far south? We usually ride up the airport
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-28-2012, 2:05 PM Reply   
Gnar- In all honesty no. I regularly meet up with friends in sac and roseville and we ride elkorn or verona... and you can get swabbies after....
Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-28-2012, 2:15 PM Reply   
That's the exact plan for Friday......too bad holidays bring out the dbags. We've been out on a handful of tuesdays midday and only see a couple fishing boats, been glass
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-28-2012, 9:26 PM Reply   
Ryan: POWER TURN???!!! NO WAY!!! Well, maybe once when I thought another boat didn't see my downed rider. I have three other friends with boats that hang out there and they all know that power turners always get a ration of $hit from me when I see it. It's actually ironic that you called ME on it. (that hurts) I have two exceptions to the no power turn rule: 1.distressed/injured rider 2.Fear of another boat not seeing your downed rider. That's it... And yes, I've been boarding/boat owner for 16 years. Gnargnar: Walnut Grove is just okay. It's FULL of trees which at low tide will ruin props and hulls. The area is also known to have removed 2 of my friend's wedges off their Malibus in the last two years. What really hurts though is when the yachts come through and just annihilate the river for 20 minutes-rollers for days. My buddies brother just shattered his arm in three places after crashing and hitting a barely submerged log there 6 weeks ago. Bone screws/plate and an 8" scar up his tricep too. Two of the last three times has been full of surfers. The airport is way better. Chris (aka Ben?): see above. Linz: You're funny.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-28-2012, 9:39 PM Reply   
alright.. I was a little shocked to see that being that your on WW. Those are obviously the only two good reasons to power turn which are totally acceptable.
Thankfully I haven't hit anything in the river but definitely have to dodge some floating stuff all year. Now the meadows... that's another story. Took my rudder completely off from hitting something there. Maybe one day we can make the river power turn free with both of us out there educating people haha.
See ya on the river!
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-28-2012, 10:17 PM Reply   
The meadows scares the crap out of me. I have many war stories from that place. See ya.
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-29-2012, 10:38 AM Reply   
The Meadows is a treacherous place. When I was in high school (early 90's) it had swallowed my buddies boat whole. She's eaten all the skegs off another buddy's boat for lunch. She's had yet another buddy's rudder for dessert.
Oddly enough if you piss someone off in the meadows, they are definitely likely to roll up on you and ask you how long you've been coming out.
It doesn't matter you answer, they will ALWAYS reply the same as you +5 years in an effort to show seniority. I've seen boats come and go, some get swallowed and some run with their tails between their legs. If you don't know the meadows, you can't say you've run with the devil in hell.

Okay, that was an extremely lame effort to describe the meadows, but the stories are all true. If you are out there, look out for this kids behind his white Axis and say hi.

Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-29-2012, 12:05 PM Reply   
So u guys live in elk grove or what? Sounds like a horrible place to ride otherwise...
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-29-2012, 2:20 PM Reply   
I do.
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-29-2012, 2:22 PM Reply   
Yes, close enough. Headed out to the beautiful Meadows again today.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-29-2012, 10:00 PM Reply   
Gnar the meadows is comparable to launching at verona and heading north(but not nearly as long). A few turns and snags everywhere but because of that no one really goes there.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-29-2012, 10:19 PM Reply   
Ryan which one is worse?
Verona north can get sketchy!!!
Earlier this year I drug the bottom of my boat in the middle of the river above KL.
And I know there are a few shallow spots below KL also.

Just got back from Garcia Bend.....not a bad little stretch!
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-30-2012, 7:00 AM Reply   
Hope it wasn't anyone here on WW in that Reinell that kept yanking their rider's arms out of their socket in an attempt to get up ahead of me yesterday. Except they never were ahead of me. I past the rider in the water and that boat would yank the hell out of the line. One time the rider was lucky enough to hold on and he was right along side me. idiot...

I just powered down and had to let him carry on. Once I thought he was far enough ahead, I got my rider back up, turned the corner and there was the rider... down again.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       08-30-2012, 8:34 AM Reply   
^^ dont you LOVE when idiots do that?
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-30-2012, 10:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
Ryan which one is worse?
Verona north can get sketchy!!!
Earlier this year I drug the bottom of my boat in the middle of the river above KL.
And I know there are a few shallow spots below KL also.

Just got back from Garcia Bend.....not a bad little stretch!
It's a tough call... Once you get to the meadows I think it's safer than Verona north however the trek to the meadows is WAY worse. Some spots are only about 25' wide and you can see downed trees all over that start on the shore and extend out to the middle until you can't see them anymore. Here are some pictures to give you the idea... The skinniest channel in the middle of the picture is the one you have to go through to get there.

Garcia is a good spot except for the riff raff that hangs out on the dock/ramp and there only being one launch ramp. I've launched there a few times and I get too pissed at the idiots that launch their boat and tie it to the dock blocking the only spot to launch while they go park their car or their boats wont start.
Attached Images

Last edited by ryanw209; 08-30-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-30-2012, 1:47 PM Reply   
I only go to Garcia to meet up with some ppl from that area. But the riff raff comment is spot on....LOL
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-30-2012, 6:34 PM Reply   
I've taken a few wrong turns trying to get through the meadows to Snodgrass slough. The 5 mph speed limit is a pain too.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-30-2012, 10:55 PM Reply   
Yea sometimes I blow it until it starts to get narrow about 3/4 of the way there... I only ride there in the winter so I figure the odds are in my favor for not seeing a sheriff
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-31-2012, 1:12 AM Reply   
Those are pretty good odds. I think the speed limit is for safety since it's so narrow-not erosion. I'm guessing though.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-08-2012, 7:43 PM Reply   
This is why no one should ever come to the river....
Attached Images

Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-08-2012, 10:15 PM Reply   
And wouldn't you know it...we went to the lake today and it wasn't that bad...guess now that school is back in...my knee didn't even hurt what a day
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-08-2012, 11:10 PM Reply   
Elkhorn was good today until about 2!
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-08-2012, 11:53 PM Reply   
Oh hey, looks like some one is getting a new dock soon. Great... More boats out there.
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-10-2012, 8:27 AM Reply   
Look at all the water that barge is pushing up front. That No wake sign is kinda ironic.
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-10-2012, 8:53 AM Reply   
The Meadows claimed a Red 210 Saturday morning too. Oddly enough, we knew them, or at least the coach on the boat.

Can't say the Meadows won against my houseboat though it tried. Just a simple blown hole in my exhaust boot, had us running frantically at 1am to bail 30" of water out of my engine compartment.
About 6 people piled into the back salon of my houseboat for a final final Saturday night. That additional ~1000lbs was enough to get the hole in the exhaust boot below the water line.
You can imagine where it goes from there. Thankfully waterline never came above the lower end of the engine block. Everything was fine mechanically.

Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-10-2012, 2:35 PM Reply   
Launching at discovery tomorrow at like 1030....might have an open seat or 2
Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-10-2012, 8:48 PM Reply   
Edit...going weds at 11
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-10-2012, 11:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveflat View Post
The Meadows claimed a Red 210 Saturday morning too. Oddly enough, we knew them, or at least the coach on the boat.

Can't say the Meadows won against my houseboat though it tried. Just a simple blown hole in my exhaust boot, had us running frantically at 1am to bail 30" of water out of my engine compartment.
About 6 people piled into the back salon of my houseboat for a final final Saturday night. That additional ~1000lbs was enough to get the hole in the exhaust boot below the water line.
You can imagine where it goes from there. Thankfully waterline never came above the lower end of the engine block. Everything was fine mechanically.

Glad to hear it all worked out. Does that mean you're done for the year since the houseboat is out?
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-11-2012, 7:54 AM Reply   
I don't think we're done for the year. Axis isn't for sure. Still have INT regionals this weekend.
The Exhaust boot isn't that big of a deal. I just have to source that rubber hosing and replace. Although, a friend with a boat repair shop in Sac just told me he has a trailer that can hold my Gibson. I'm considering hauling it home for the winter so I can paint the bottom and get some general repairs done.
Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-15-2012, 8:24 PM Reply   
Delta day last weekend of sept? Get all the sac area kids out?
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-16-2012, 12:11 AM Reply   
I'm in...
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-16-2012, 10:53 PM Reply   
^^^ Ditto.
Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-21-2012, 8:08 PM Reply   
So who's gonna start the thread
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-21-2012, 11:59 PM Reply   
You! Go for it.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-25-2012, 10:13 AM Reply   
Since it looks like the other thread got nuked......Everybody still doing Sunday 30th @ or around Elkhorn? I'm thinkning I will be there 10~10:30 ish....
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-25-2012, 10:29 AM Reply   
Yea I'm in. I don't know why they deleted the other thread.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-25-2012, 11:26 AM Reply   
That's weird... Why would it be removed? I'm still in.
Old     (Gnargnar)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-25-2012, 5:03 PM Reply   
Started a new thread...