Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 18, 2006

Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-06-2006, 10:52 AM Reply   
I'm looking to try a board that is designed for pop

I'm 5'8" and range b/n 175lbs and 180lbs

any advice?
Old     (raketball)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-06-2006, 11:14 AM Reply   
I would demo a few boards and see what you like best. This post will more than likely turn into a can of worms as everyone tells you why their board is best and why all others suck. I have a 141 Absolute Platinum and I would recommend it to anyone. You may find that there are not too many people on here who dislike this board. Demo, demo, demo.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-06-2006, 11:24 AM Reply   
not going to recommend a board, just saying that if you want more pop, you should go for a 3 stage or an abrupt continous rocker
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-06-2006, 11:30 AM Reply   
so Cris
the 3 stage is more for pop?
as opposed to the continuous rocker?

I guess what type of board is really my question...instead of which specific board
Old     (raketball)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-06-2006, 11:33 AM Reply   
A 3 stage rocker should give you more pop. It also might depend on how well you edge. I've seen people get pop with a continuous rocker.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-06-2006, 11:33 AM Reply   
From what Ive learned (Im no expert here) 3 stage is for more pop, while continuous is for more distance (please someone correct me if Im wrong anywhere in this post). There is an agressive continuous rocker that from what i understand is kind of a mix of both, so it has good pop also. Oh, and if you're in between 2 board sizes, size up not down for more pop.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-06-2006, 11:43 AM Reply   
thanks
so now I guess I need to figure out which boards are what
thanks again
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-06-2006, 11:53 AM Reply   
Also take a look at the board wizard and board section on this home page. It will tell you which boards have what rocker, etc.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-06-2006, 12:07 PM Reply   
I dislike the 141 platinum absolute. Just thought I'd throw that out there. It gets great pop but its other characteristics don't suit my riding style.

As for board with big pop - this is more of the rider than the board. Some boards kick a little harder than others; however, 90% of your pop comes from good form. Parks board is known to have a ton of pop; however, Chad Sharpe kills it with the 3DS. Murrays pro models don't typically have very agressive pop but he goes as big as anyone else.

Any pro model or high end board will get you decent pop if you use it correctly. Some boards are designed to be used differently. For example the marius is designed to be more of a wake to wake board. It gets great pop, but it is rather slow which makes it difficult to ride in the flats. The 3DS pop is mediocre but it holds an edge like nothing else and lands super smooth in the flats.

If you let me know what type of riding style you have then it will be easier to recommed boards to demo. Think of the 3 most important board characteristics and then some recommendations can be made from there.

For me the important characteristics are:
Board Speed
Edge Hold
Soft Landings
Recomendations: 3DS, Watson, Murray

I'm sure some others who have ridden lots of boards can make even more recomendations based on what your looking for.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-06-2006, 12:56 PM Reply   
thanks root
I am an intermediate rider and am looking to throw my first invert
I will be 42 years old this July
I am a former slalom skier and am trying to break the slalom habits
....back foot heavy
....hard hard pulls and super speed
I am trying hard not to muscle everything....I was a gym rat in my teens and twenties and have a tendency to muscle/power everything

I've been working on a more gracefull style that lends itself more towards timing
my first attempts at heighth were made by edging extremely hard fron way out and charging the wake

that style resulted in low, fast, but far jumps that banged up this old body pretty good

now, I am trying to slow things down and just do wake to wake stuff...but would like the heighth to throw a very grabs and an invert or two
....don't have much interest in the ..land way out in the flats...anymore

btw...what do you think of the Hyperlite Byerly?
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-06-2006, 1:15 PM Reply   
the Transcend seems like it is built for what I need
but most of the O'brien models seem to be built for pop
....clutch
....natural
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-06-2006, 1:20 PM Reply   
the byerly is a 3-stage board that is pretty aggressive. meaning harder-to-control pop than a hybrid or continuous board. but definitely poppy and could lend itself to you 'timing style'

what LF board are you on now?

Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-06-2006, 1:37 PM Reply   
I currently ride an '05 138 EVO
Old     (team_o)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-06-2006, 3:32 PM Reply   
Cliff - Try the Natural 139 - definitely the best blend of 3-stage pop while having good board speed and holds an strong edge even when ridden finless...

Do a search on it and see what some other people have said on this site...sounds like what you are looking for
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       06-06-2006, 3:50 PM Reply   
Ya Cliff I ride the Trancend and it is what you are lokking for, great wake to wake with alot of straight up pop and it lands nice as well. I would demo the Trancend for shure.
Best of luck with your search of your perfect board, demo as many as you can.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-06-2006, 4:58 PM Reply   
great!
thanks all....Chris and Jeff...I will contact some places around DFW and try to get each of those boards while on a lake vacation! that will give me a week and a half to play on them
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-06-2006, 6:12 PM Reply   
Jeff
how is lake Granbury?
I have heard that the yellow algae has taken it over
killed all of the fish
if it's true, that's sad
it is/was a beautiful lake
Old    vanski            06-06-2006, 7:01 PM Reply   
hey Cliff...sounds more or less you might need to work on your form. When you mentioned charginging the wake, resulting in low, fast but far jumps....it may be that you are keeping your knees too bent using it as a cushion at the wake. A buddy of mine did this and all he did to correct the problem was "Standing Tall" at the wake. That motion is the basics that shoots you up. Board does play a part but the basics is what will help you. Last thing to remember is proggressive edging and riding that edge all the way up the wake. Oh and one more thing... make sure your skill level is similar to the board. People tend to fall into the trap of buying too much board and losing out on the right board to kill it out there. Good luck in your search.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-06-2006, 7:14 PM Reply   
I didn't read all the previous posts but I saw you mentioned your backfoot heavy...... Think about a Substance or even the new Watson board. Ever since the Helix board came out his boards have been kind of a tail heavy riding kind of board, all three with huge 3 stage pop! All three a bit loose as well unless you edge correctly or ride tail heavy. The Watson is going to land the softest though. The helix isn't made anymore and all three are/were Shawn Watsons pro model board.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-06-2006, 7:45 PM Reply   
thanks guys
I agree Van
I work on form and basics every time out
some days, I only ride switch
my form is correct on that side
I am taking some lessons, and am just looking ahead to the day that all my basics are dialed in

my instructor says that I could get a better board now, but he'd rather see me get the basics down with my board...cause...he says....there are boards out there that would help me cheat a bit

the better I can get on my board, the better I'll be on a better board

I won't even try a flip till I can control all edges and get good pop on my toughest side...goofy toe side

here is my goal sheet.....

Level 1
Edging drills
Rollovers (letting go with back hand on edge changes)
1 wake jumps
Wake jump drills
Surface 180s
Edging drills

Level 2
Inside to outside 180 practice cuts
Rollovers
1 wake jumps
1 wake 180s
1 wake 360s
2 wake jumps at 55'
2 wake 180s at 55'
2 wake jumps at 60'
Bunny hop BS 180s
Inside to outside practice cuts

Level 3
Inside to outside 180 practice cuts
2 wake jumps
2 wake 180s
1 wake 360s
1 wake BS 180s
Inside to outside BS 180s
2 wake 360s
2 wake BS 180s
5 practice cuts

Level 4
Inside to outside 180 PCs
Wake jumps
180s (BS & FS)
360s (BS & FS)
Tantrum
TS B Roll
5 cuts on each edge

Level 5
wake jumps
180s
360s
tantrum
TS B-Roll
B Roll
Front Roll
5 cuts on each edge

Level 6
Pass
Wake jumps
180s, 360s, 540s & 720s
Work on new HS & TS Flips
5 cuts on each edge

I will be happy to get to level 4,...even if I get no further
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-06-2006, 8:20 PM Reply   
Cliff, keep up the good work on basics and edge control. Work on all 4 edges. I was at West Coast Camps last week. I watched a kid that only rode 4 times. They took him for a week and had him do edge drills and basic stuff. On the last day he landed smooth wake to wake hs. Also he landed ts 180s wake to wake. The kid will be a good rider.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       06-07-2006, 8:19 AM Reply   
Cliff that was a couple years ago the lake is fine and has some of the best riding in the Fort Worth area and with the fish gone theres no fishermen on the lake.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-07-2006, 9:59 AM Reply   
Cliff,

1 wake 360's are really akward. You might be better just leaving those Till later. Or, try them out in the flats, take a nice hard cut, then cut back to get slack. Spin frontside, keeping the handle tight, and complete the pass.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-07-2006, 10:51 AM Reply   
Jeff, it's good to hear that the lake is making a recovery! It is a beautiful area.
Garret, I agree. I work on a 180 drill, that has you jumping and doing a 180...then jumping and doing another as you leave the inside of the wakes...and doing a 3rd in the flats....then doing the set of 3 jump 180's again in the opposite direction

I can now only get 1 or 1.5 sets of this

so, with that in mind...360's scare the heck outta me
so I probably wont even attempt them until my 180 1 wake jump drill becomes routine

thanks guys