Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-08-2007, 1:11 PM Reply   
Hey for all of you that missed it Jim and Charles @ Neptunes threw a sound off comp at the resort Sat during the CIE Spring Ride. Thanks to Neptunes for puting somthing together. It was cool to see all the big systems and put names to faces.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-08-2007, 1:36 PM Reply   
Ay...I gotta admit, your boat looks pretty sick pulling away in the dark with all the LEDs.

I heard a record was set for boat audio.
Old     (sikkvlx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-08-2007, 1:57 PM Reply   
I pulled a 144db with a single sub in my malibu. I took 1st and jim said it was the highest db reading from both of his events. Upload
Upload
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-08-2007, 2:14 PM Reply   
Did Neptunes do the install, j/k so what's the scoop? what sub? ported or sealed? amps? interior spekaers ? tower speakers?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-08-2007, 2:17 PM Reply   
Jarod: Thanks
I don’t know what the record for boats is or if there is even such thing? Jim @ Neptune’s said the
Highest SPL (Bass) for the day was Mike Palano 144.0. It was in a Malibu with a single Kicker 15 L-7. at the drivers feet. Congrats Mike.
Jim said 144.0 is a pretty good SPL for a car so for a boat that’s great.

I have never been to a DB drag and knew nothing about it so for all the people like me that don’t know how it worked Ill explain how the comp went.

In the Marina at the resort they had a pontoon boat. You would pull up to the pontoon boat and tie up they would hand you a microphone. The microphone had a mini tripod attached to it so you could position or point the microphone. You place the microphone and mini tripod on the drivers seat. They give you a test tone sweep CD. This CD plays a track that moves threw the different frequency's. The track is about 5-8 seconds long. They give you a 30 second spot to play the test sweep as many times as you like in 30 seconds. During that test sweep the microphone picks up and records the highest SPL on that track and displays the reading on a large digital
display so you can see what your systems doing. You could usually get 2 or sometimes 3 recordings sessions in that 30-second spot depending on how fast you were with your CD re-start. During your 30-second spot you could adjust your bass level or frequency to get your highest SPL while playing the test sweep. They also gave you another 30-second spot to play what ever you thought made your systems SPL level the highest some people played music other re-played the test sweep.

They had a few different classes for SPL (bass).

#1 single sub
#2 2-3 subs
#4 4 or more subs

They also had what they called a "drive by comp"
Where they would test the DB of your tower. You would pull away from the pontoon boat 50-70 feet and they would point the microphone at your tower and you would play what ever you liked and they would record the highest DB during a 30 second period.

Like I said I have never done this b-4 and don’t know all the rules so if I got any of the details wrong please let us know.

again Thanks to Jim and Charles
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-08-2007, 2:30 PM Reply   
I'm dropping a kicker 15" L7 in my boat this week - glad to hear it hit that db level... Anyone know what size box it was in? I'm going 4.5cft vented.

What freq did you have the port tuned to?

(Message edited by clayton191 on May 08, 2007)
Old     (sikkvlx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-08-2007, 2:49 PM Reply   
Kicker sx 900.4 to 8 memphis 6.5's
Kicker sx 900.4 to the tower 8" nvs
kicker kx 1200.1 to the 15" L7 sub in a sealed box.
I finished in my driveway the night before,line x'ed with mirrors ,led's and a plexi front. thanks for the congrats, the funny thing is I wasn't even gonna enter. My girl signed me up. Thanks again, mike pelonio Upload
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-08-2007, 2:53 PM Reply   
I HAVE to say there were some boats that POUNDED, out of all the boats that pulled away from the patio boat for the drive away, Grants hit harder, (SOUNDED CLEANER) then any other boat that day.
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-08-2007, 2:59 PM Reply   
Mike, I like the mirror box -- nice! How thick was the plexiglass for that box? Does it flex? I was rethinking using plexi because I didn't want to shatter it.

Grant's should sound good -- dont you have, like, 4 se arc amps? One of those would cost more than most peoples installs! :-)

I got all of my ideas from him, clayton, and the rest of the jokers on this site with crazy installs.

(Message edited by clayton191 on May 08, 2007)
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-08-2007, 3:00 PM Reply   
Was a great turn out. Thanks to every one that signed up.
We will be doing another at Lost Isle also.
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-08-2007, 3:07 PM Reply   
Also this was an official SPL event so as of now 144 is a world record for a boat. So until further notice Mike holds it.
Old    mendo247            05-08-2007, 3:08 PM Reply   
yeah! i been trying to convince everyone how the L7's POUND!! congrats mike..

great job Neptunes!! definetly gonna try to make it out to lost isle..
Old     (sikkvlx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-08-2007, 3:13 PM Reply   
I used 3/4" plexi for the front, I haven't noticed it flexing, but it isn't so friendly to my dash! I too got some ideas from all of those guys, it was weird to see some of the boats for the first time and know already what was in them.
Old     (sikkvlx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-08-2007, 3:14 PM Reply   
"world record holder" I like the sound of that!
Old     (javony)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-08-2007, 3:25 PM Reply   
Mike, how many cubic feet is the sealed box you used for the L7? I am having a hard time decided whether I wanna go vented or sealed for my two 12 L7's. If you can hit 144db in a sealed enclosure that might have just helped me decide though
Old     (sikkvlx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-08-2007, 3:54 PM Reply   
I used every inch I could, up to the steering and around the heater. The box measured just over 3.5 cubic feet. I thought about a ported box,but i just didn't have the room. A ported 15" pounds but its kind of sloppy bass. The sealed box is a lot tighter for metal/alt. music.
Old     (gundogg)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-08-2007, 4:27 PM Reply   
Grant-

I couldn't make it up to the event...Lets see some pics of the install...I could see it in the background of a few pics.
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-08-2007, 4:45 PM Reply   
Holy Shizzle, a gundogg lurking in the background, you missed out on a good time
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-08-2007, 5:14 PM Reply   
good job mike. way to do it yourself.
Old     (gundogg)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-08-2007, 6:23 PM Reply   
Caesar-
I am embarrassed for the excuse that I have...We'll just say it was "family obligations" that I was "required to be at.

What did you guys to to Clay...I haven't been able to get ahold of him since Wednesday before the Spring Ride. Is he still passed out behind a tree somewhere???

And lets see some more pics of this event...Looked like a blast!

Hijack OVER
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       05-08-2007, 6:45 PM Reply   
This was my first time checking it out also. I thought it was a bit odd how they do the comp, cause there really isn't much music getting played, just test tones. But hey, thats how it's done, I just had no idea. Would have been nice had they done test tones and then done a music test also.

There were a couple of boats that really impressed me with their sound. Friday night, Ben (8 tens) had his playing with the wet sounds going. That thing BOOOOMS. Really cool guy too, chatted with he and his brother for quite a while on Saturday night. I only heard Joe Mitchells boat play some rock/punk type music, would have loved to hear some hip hop on that thing.

G- I have the mixes that your brother put together on my IPOD, and while driving home I had the Star Whores mix going and it got to the song that you played during the comp. I just started laughing and knew right away why you chose to play that song.

I thought it was cool how Charles came over and had Ben(8 Tens) move the mic around the boat to get a good reading. Everyone else has subs under the Driver and Passenger, Bens are all in the Vdrive storage. With a mic on the drivers seat, the readings were nowhere near what they should have been.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-08-2007, 6:57 PM Reply   
So was Mike's boat the loudest at 144db with one sub?

what did other boat with more subs read?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-08-2007, 7:12 PM Reply   
Mike/Racer #5: Thanks for your complements that means alot more to me than a # that the boat produced.

Jerry: You looked pretty bummed at the end of the sound off. Did somthing go wrong during your test?

Jim/Charles: Are you gonna post the results of the Comp?

Luke: Yes it was kinda diffrent. The DB drag guys have been doing this for quite some time so Im sure there is a reason for the way it was tested and run. I would have liked to hear the diffrent systems play music insted of test tones. Bens system Knocks and I love how he just likes to play music to make people dance. Thats the same reason I love big systems. When some one with some good sounding hump and the batterys to play for more then 5 min's will crank it up and let it rip so we can al get down
I take my hat of to ya. Ben's all ways down to get down
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-08-2007, 7:29 PM Reply   
hey g. i was just dumb founded because my boat at lost isle hit 139.3 and at spring ride it hit a 131. when i took the boat home i was messing with it and found that i set the x over wrong on the sub amp for the subs under the dash. the most important place because of where the mic was set. the subs were playin at 1/4 volume. scott and aaron were unaware that i messed with the x over. i knew that joes boat would hit as hard or harder than mine. its all good. i fixed it. just one stupid switch. it was great meeting you. i had a great time. also your boat looks and sounds good. nice job. hey get a pict of that bottle of patron and post it on wakeworld. late g
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-08-2007, 7:39 PM Reply   
Jerry: Ooooo Damm I hate when that happens. At least it was a easy fix it didnt cost you anything to make your system louder I have a simular excuse LOL. We killed the custom bottle of Bling Bling bottle Patrone Sat night right after I saw you. Its sitting at Lake house #1 Ill snap a few shots for W/W. Thanks again
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-08-2007, 7:42 PM Reply   
dude i swear. i feel bad for scott. he slapped me on the hand and told me not to touch the boats system again. hes the boss of the system. thats why i was not bumping pac. hes a rock dude.
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-08-2007, 7:44 PM Reply   
did "everyone" set the mic on the driver seat?
Old     (sikkvlx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-08-2007, 7:50 PM Reply   
I've never done a DB drag before this one. I was going to play "hustlin" by rick ross but you only have 30 seconds to hit your best DB.I didn't know how long the intro was. They had a bass cd and a track # that would hit it in the allowed time. I think thats why everyone went with the bass cd.. It was their option.
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-08-2007, 7:54 PM Reply   
mike. that is hella loud for one sub. you built a dope box man. you should go into audio.
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-08-2007, 8:33 PM Reply   
Just so every one know's, you can play any music you want. You have 30 seconds to do what you can do. Lots of times a tone will be louder than an average song.

We will try and get a list of all the boats together and post them up.
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-08-2007, 8:42 PM Reply   
...My two - (2) favorites: Grants for his style & creativity always amazes me. The boat absolutly HANDS DOWN FREAKEN ROCKS. Clean & Crisp.

Bens (8-tens) - well very impressed with his system as well. Hmmmm maybe I need to revamp mine

After hearing all the boats pound on the dock & durnig the sound off, Grants boat by far on the drive away is what ya want to hear, Clean, crisp high with hard pounden bass. Very, Very nice job
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-08-2007, 8:46 PM Reply   
I had the mic on the drivers seat. It would be intresting to see if it made a differance if the mic was moved around, I.E closer to the subs or on the floor.
Old    Ben Kerran            05-08-2007, 9:17 PM Reply   
Thanks to Neptunes for putting on a cool sound off. My first experience with a sound off of any kind. I guess I was expecting something that somehow involved some crowd participation. Maybe everyone plays a similar song and top 3 go to next round based on crowd response? I understand that would not be very technical and could be tough with the time constraints? Still a fun experience and all the Neptunes guys were awesome to talk with. The part I loved best was just checking out all the other boats systems and meeting all the great peeps. There was some sic ideas and a ton of custom stuff out there and I loved it all. Good times for sure
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-08-2007, 9:26 PM Reply   
g what did you hit. do you know if the mic is placed next to the sub box if it would be louder then if it was on the driver seat? i heard that some guys had it next to their boxes. would it make a difference? 8 tens. it was nice meeting you and your wife. dude your boat looks dope and also rocks.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-08-2007, 9:50 PM Reply   
Jim said I hit a 141.0 Jim and Charles have been doing this for some time they would know better than me how close and where to place the mic and if it would make any differance with SPL.

My guess is that if you had the same testing equipment and you could do mulitable runs with the same boat you could move the mic around the test aera and find your sweet spot that way you would know where your boat hits its highest SPL.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-08-2007, 10:57 PM Reply   
I had a lot of fun watching the "Soundoff", this was the first time I was able to check out such a competition. I was planning to bring my boat but I got scared after hearing that Grant's subs knocked the subs off his wall, so I figured I would save myself the shame... NOT. I know that I would not have come close to Grant's, Joe's, Ben's, Jerry's, or the sikkVLX. But I would have loved to get some semi-scientific readings and add my setup as a clean example of a simple system that uses very little of the usable space in a bot. Unfortunately work issues on Friday prevented me from getting the boat up to Tulloch.

It was interesting to watch the db meter and listen to the boats. At times I thought the meter must be picking up something else because there did not seem to be any correlation to what my ears were telling me and what my eyes saw on the db meter.

Here is a little chart that might help to explain the mic placement questions. At near field the db reading is super sensitive to differences in distance (exponentially). This is a measurement from a control speaker in a controlled situation, the only change is the mic distance from the speaker. Check it out.

Upload

(Message edited by mikeski on May 08, 2007)
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-08-2007, 11:04 PM Reply   
Here are some pix from the event.

Joe's X2
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-08-2007, 11:06 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-08-2007, 11:09 PM Reply   
Ben & crew (trooper wive with bun in the oven!), It was great to meet you guys!
Upload
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-08-2007, 11:13 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-08-2007, 11:15 PM Reply   
"Two Turntables"
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-08-2007, 11:17 PM Reply   
NVS Todd

Upload

NVS "Threesome"
Upload
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-08-2007, 11:19 PM Reply   
HSE Tower HLCD box
Upload
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-08-2007, 11:25 PM Reply   
looks like a great event! That orange x2 is so pimp!
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-08-2007, 11:30 PM Reply   
All I know is we got to Tulloch a little late, so after a couple of hours in the car I rushed off to the men’s room to relieve myself. So I am sitting on the throne when I hear this crazy sound like a tornado is tearing Andreas' resort to pieces or something!!! Next thing I know the pitch got lower and at that point I could not tell if the porcelan was doing the rumbling or it it was my stomach... so I quickly wiped and headed outsite to see what the hell was going on. Next thing I see is some guy with a big Mexican hat in a red Natique messing with the stereo and some old fellar in a pontoon boat rooting him on and telling him let’s do it again...!
Only at lake Tulluch!!!
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-08-2007, 11:32 PM Reply   
Joe, your boat is stupid cool! I came up next to you when the double up contest started and chatted for a few minutes but I don't think you knew who the heck I was...
Old     (mitchj)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-08-2007, 11:53 PM Reply   
Attila yeah I figured it out lol lol thanx for saying hello ...one guess how i figured it out? Joe
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-09-2007, 12:05 AM Reply   
My strapping good looks? No clue...
Old    Ben Kerran            05-09-2007, 6:07 AM Reply   
Attilla-that couldn't be it j/k
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-09-2007, 7:23 AM Reply   
My rookie opinion of the systems...

Loudest tower setup was two turntables boat.

Best sounding tower setup Richards Sanger.

Best bass by far 8tens boat.

Coolest interior setup the blue/black Malibu with all the monitors.

Best overall sound Grant's boat.

Best boat bun... without doubt, Richard's.

Upload

Sentimental fav was Fisher's old boat. She was bragging it up all day even though it's Mike's now.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-09-2007, 8:41 AM Reply   
Ahhhh I have my Cammera back in action. Richard Ill post some pic's of the system soon.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-09-2007, 9:35 AM Reply   
Here are some pics. I still have to make the trim pannel for the drivers side box and finish up a bunch of detail stuff.
Mike: The pic's of Joe's boat look awesome
Upload
Upload
Old     (sikkvlx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-09-2007, 10:55 AM Reply   
There seems to be some feelings hurt that I won the SPL contest with one sub. I know that some people have half of a bank account into their systems and how could one sub compare to 8tens or grants system? Yes, my sub is under the dash, and yes,they put the mic on the seat. Some people have 2 -10's or 1 -12" under the dash. I made a decision to put a single 15". Just because I didn't post my build on w/w dosen't mean that it isn't tight or that it dosen't knock! I was told to place the mic as far forward on the drivers seat without it falling off. Thats what I did like everyone else. I didn't put the mic in my speaker box or "on the floor". I didn't have access to testing equipment prior to the event. I just won because I have a 15" kicker L7 solo under my dash! Sorry for the long post just tired of back handed compliments.
Old    mendo247            05-09-2007, 11:07 AM Reply   
mike, your last post is way off base.. everyone was congradulating you and saying what a nice set up you had.. yeah there were lots of questions on how exactly everything worked because most people had never experienced anything like this before..
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-09-2007, 11:09 AM Reply   
Just some haters, who spent $$$ on high end equipment that got beat by (no offense) but stuff you can find on fleabay for pennies on the dollar what the high end stuff costs. I say bust out the audiobahn and Jensen for the next contest.
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-09-2007, 11:10 AM Reply   
Who told you it wasn't tight or who is back handing you, hey you won the contest with the highest db of the event, sounds like the only persons feeling hurt are yours because people are talking about the other boats and not yours.

Relax dude and enjoy the ride.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-09-2007, 11:17 AM Reply   
Mike Who said your wasen't tight? I think grants and 8tens blew everything out of the water, but your speaker measured good in the comp and won. It didn't matter is people had 15 speakers, the only one that counted was the one under the drivers seat. just my .02
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-09-2007, 11:24 AM Reply   
I do believe last year the highest spl achieved was with ONE 18" DD sub, somewhere around 189db. Alot of factors can play into spl...box tuning, electrical, music played...congrats mike your spl king, till the next comp.
Old    mendo247            05-09-2007, 11:38 AM Reply   
everybodys lucky ol coop was hungover and left his shizz in his slip!

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-09-2007, 12:28 PM Reply   
Mike: Who said you put the mic on the floor and what backhanded comments are you talking about?

These are my thoughts about the compition. It show’s how loud your boat was at the drivers seat. That’s cool. It’s not saying one system is better or worse than the other or one system sounds better than the other. Its just measuring SPL "Sound Pressure Level". The DB drags are a way of coming up with some sort of measurements for how your system performs kind of like a Dyno for cars. How does DB drags relate to how a system really performs? Example just because your car shows it has a higher HP on the dyno doesn’t mean its going to beat a lesser HP car down the 1/4 mile or around the track. IMO winning a DB drag is a combination of many measurements. Voltage, Amp's, Watts, Speaker volume, Speaker placement, the frequency that your Sub box is tuned to, testing area mic placement. All the things and more can affect your DB number. I never got to hear all the boats it was just bits and pieces of each boat playing for a few seconds so you really could not tell how each one sounded. During the Drive By comp you could hear sorta how the boat was supposed to sound. They were trying to measure the towers so I think some people chose to have their bass off. That would explain why I heard some funky stuff coming out some systems that had big DB#'s. All in all it was a fun event with a good vibe. I didn’t feel like anyone was hating on anyone’s system, people were rely cool and supportive and for that reason alone I would go to the next event.

We gotta put together the "Community Sound Event" where everyone links up their boat to one sound source and we can play some music threw all of the systems at once. We link up like this all the time and play 3 or 4 systems at once its sounds Awesome. One Love.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-09-2007, 12:52 PM Reply   
This would have been a fun event to witness.

I find my self gravitating towards the Kicker L7. Then I have to remind myself that SPL, though an important virtue, isn't everything. I'm sure this thread will result in a few extra sales for Kicker as it's easy to get stuck on that point. It'd be easy to sway over to purchasing a L7 when that may or may not be the best for my needs/wants.

Regardless, I've really enjoyed reading this thread. I also find it interesting that the pictures reveal a heavy showing of NVS's. Perhaps that was the case, or maybe it just happens to be the pictures that ended up here.

Thanks for everyone who have shared.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-09-2007, 12:57 PM Reply   
I thinks it's the pictures on here. there were a lot of NVS's but there were a lot of others too.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-09-2007, 1:18 PM Reply   
Hey guys....

There were some serious systems out there. I was bummed to only be able to listen to a portion of the sound off. This was a cool comp. I can't wait to be at a couple more in the future.

The thing with SPL comps is that they only tell a small part of the story. Really the best sounding systems get left in the dust in terms of making pure noise, but eh... It's a cool deal anyway.

IMO Grant and Joe Mitchell both have amazing looking boats. Absolutely stunning work and attention to detail on them both. Good stuff, guys.

Those Kickers are serious about moving air. When I had my Sanger I had one 15 L7 under the dash and it used to rattle my instruments out of the dash about once a month. I couldn't believe that stuff kept working. The dash used to literally move about 1" up and down when the bass hit. It was pretty amusing. I'd like to take a big boat like an x-star and build two horn loaded enclosures and put them in the back compartments and see what they could do. LOL!!!
Old    Ben Kerran            05-09-2007, 2:22 PM Reply   
Coop-agreed.
Grant-I like your "community Sound Event" idea, that would be tight.
Mike P-I definitely was not hating, I thought your boat hammered and it looked sic also. Like I mentioned above, my favorite part was just checking out all the systems and talking with everyone. You def. get props from me, you hit 144, enough said.
Old     (gundogg)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-09-2007, 2:26 PM Reply   
G
That looks great. I think I like it without the trim pieces. The red really stands out. Sounds like a good time, sorry I missed out on it.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-09-2007, 2:43 PM Reply   
144db in a non-enclosed boat is pretty impressive, especially with only 1 sub!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-09-2007, 4:13 PM Reply   
Ben: As far as a community sound event it has some hurdles to get over. It takes quite a bit of pre planning on the people that participate. Its not something that you can just show up to and it will work out. What I have found to get the cleanest most powerful signal to each boat is every boat will need a Cat 5 to RCA converter, Simply passing RCS's from boat to boat will only work for 3-5 boats after that the resistance increases and the signal gets dirty and loses power. The Cat 5 line converters solve all those problems they cost $90 each and need to be installed in the boats and working properly before the event. That’s the biggest problem. Getting people to drop $90 each and hook up the Line converter and get it working before hand so that when they show up they can just plug a Cat 5 line into their boat and start playing. Getting a Clean powerful signal distributed to the docks is no big deal I have all the Cat5 and the splitter to get it rolling. I just need some solid people willing to do what it takes and it can happen.

I have 2 of them and Mike-Ski has 2 of them just waiting to go. If you’re serious and you want to make it happen I would say if 12 or more people sign up and commit to it Ill make it happen.
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-09-2007, 4:16 PM Reply   
Count me in, I'll play
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-09-2007, 4:20 PM Reply   
I'm down
Old    Ben Kerran            05-09-2007, 4:23 PM Reply   
G-So sounds like we can use RCA's as long as my boat is the one passing the signal or in the first 3. I was talking to Clay and some others a little about this on Saturday. Sign me up and I can spring for a couple of line converters to donate to the pot if need be (if people were willing to arrive a day early to install). I could also arrive early to help run cat 5 or whatever else needs to get done. I could probably even talk a couple of my buddies that run cable for a living to come up if I bribed them with free beer. I think this would be a cool (more interactive) event and would be tons of fun. Maybe late Summer?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-09-2007, 4:39 PM Reply   
This is what you need to order/buy
Audio Control BLX-10
http://www.wholehouseaudiocontrol.com/product.asp?Product_Id=19904&d_id=9966&l1=9966&l2=
Upload
You would install this in your boat along with 2 panel mount RJ-45 connector's One for input and one for output. The Cat 5 line coming from the main music source would be split up at the dock. You would take that Cat 5 line and plug it into the input RJ-45 connector mounted in your boat that line would connect to the BLX-10 and convert it to a RCA signal that you would connect to your system. (RJ-45's are large looking telephone jacks used for computer networks) The input jack would be used to receive a Cat 5 signal and the Output RJ 45 on your boat would be used to pass the signal to the next boat with. Each boat could boost or turn down their input signal.
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       05-09-2007, 4:45 PM Reply   
I'm in too. Can we run it off phone line cable though? My boat is a little older and I dont think it is compatible with Cat5.

I'd even help setup!
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-09-2007, 4:54 PM Reply   
I am down
Old     (macrogpx2)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-09-2007, 4:54 PM Reply   
i would be down for that G. Ask jerry about my system, he'll tell you its legit.
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-09-2007, 5:09 PM Reply   
I allways wondered if you could combine several boats together by RCA`s. very cool stuff guys. Becides the Lost Isle contest in Sept any others going on??
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-09-2007, 5:13 PM Reply   
I've connected 6 boats before all through rca and EQ's. worked decent.
Old     (javony)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-09-2007, 5:43 PM Reply   
When is the next competition and where is it going to be held?
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-09-2007, 8:26 PM Reply   
yea dude no ones bagging on you. i asked g a question about the mic because i thought that the comp was weird. like 8 tens boat pounds but with the mic on the front seat doesnt do it any justice. i dont know why you feel that people are bagging? thats all.
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       05-09-2007, 9:19 PM Reply   
I'm with Ponte on this one, haven't heard your boat actually play music, but are darn impressed at a 144!

I simply wanted to relay that the comp may give different ratings for different people because it is in an open air environment and some people have their subs in different places. Putting a mic in one spot isnt equal for everyone.

Congrats on being the current record holder!!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-09-2007, 9:25 PM Reply   
Well heres the deal. If you guys wanna do this #1 Order the equipment. The Audio Control BLX-10.
I will do a step by step install "How To" hook it up if people need. After that we can set a date. Like I said if I can get 12 or more people to commit to doing this then I will book a date at Tulloch.
If you are serious about this send me a e-mail now so we can start a e-mail list with a group buy on all the stuff you will need to make it happen. Its not that big of a deal to get your boat hooked up and I will help you on-line. You can use it for sending and recieveing a Balanced Cat 5 signal so if your friends get one you can do away with passing rca's boat to boat.