Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (alan_bogdanoff)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-19-2007, 3:20 PM Reply   
Let me clarify. we r comparing transition from wake 2 waves, so i'm throwing in real waves like in the ocean, to man made waves, wave pools seem to be a part of this as is a wake surfing. Are you busting my chops?

I wasn't asking for anything, it just seems that you have a lot of knowledge and I wanted your 2 cents, guess I got them.
Old    surfdad            01-19-2007, 3:33 PM Reply   
No, not busting your chops at all, I just wasn't following. I'm not sure I have any opinion, amazingly enough :-) , on the various facilities and/or investment activities you've listed.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       01-19-2007, 4:10 PM Reply   
Jerry,
Most if not all of those guys, Hap Jacobs,Mickey Munoz,Dewey Weber, Con Colburn and the rest, are a bit older than I. I did surf alot with Jeff Munoz, Mickey's brother. Played little League with Robbie Meistrel whose father is the founder of Dive and Surf and Body Glove. I freeboarded behind our boat in the 60's. All of this gets of the main point of this thread. IMO the point that Jeff I think wants to make is that industry leaders need to be careful with their comparisons to surfing. i.e. Jerry posting for people to buy his boards so he can move to the beach. This gives the impression that wakesurfing will never be as good for him as surfing. or Alan posting about going to Costa Rica to surf " real surf, real waves" as if wakesurfing is not as good as real surfing. Everyone is free to like one activity over another, but Industry icons must promote the venture that they are making their living at, as real surf and real waves. Enough old man ramblings.
Old     (alan_bogdanoff)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-19-2007, 7:36 PM Reply   
Jeff,
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-20-2007, 10:11 AM Reply   
I can say that wakesurfing has helped my surfing skills. When I first started wakesurfing I met with Jerry Price and we looked at his boards. For my height and weight plus surfing experience he recommended a board,5'4" or 5'6" I think. Now when I surf I ride a 6'10" board. I thought no way I can ride a board under 6'. So I met him in the middle and I bought a 5'10" ShredStixx, still thinking no way. To make a short story long, the last time I went to Santa Cruz there was a nice swell in town, head high+. I was really bummed I didn't have my gear. I called a buddy of mine at a local surf shop and he said he had a 6' board, suit, etc... Since I have been riding a 5'10" ShredStixx I thought I'd give it a try. I haven't surfed a board under 6'10" in years. I couldn't believe how awesome it was. Wakesurfing on such a small board with an endless wave really honed my surfing skills , I picked up on wakesurfing immediately because I surf. So I would imagine that if someone has only wakesurfed they would pick up on surfing aspect of surfing quickly. The paddeling and duck diving would take a little while to get use to. That is my take on the transition.
Old     (stixxmon)      Join Date: May 2006       01-20-2007, 10:16 AM Reply   
My first love is surfing. Has been for 43 years. Always been straight up to everyone about that. Why, So the masses will see, Here is a guy, who has surfed all his life, and has picked up and moved inland. For him to do that, there has to be a magnificant reason. There is. That reason is Wakesurfing. I can live inland AND STILL get the one thing in my life I have to have to keep my sanity, SURFING. Not as big a wave, but no crowd. Something I've traveled all over the world to to find. A endless wave with no one dropping in on me. In my own back yard. No airfare. The MESSAGE," Now everyone can have it".
If this attitude hurts my board sales. So be it. If it were all about the money I would build "Pop-Outs". I do HIS will, not mine, or anybody elses.
Old     (jimgalloway)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-20-2007, 10:29 AM Reply   
Jerry, if anything, your attitude will improve your board sales. You are an inspiration to the thousands of aging surfers, myself included, who are tired of fighting crowds and chasing temporary swells, and want another way.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       01-20-2007, 11:43 AM Reply   
My personal opinion is that now of this really matters much. I don't really care if the "surfing" crowd think that we are not really surfers because we only ride small waves. Wakesurfing has brought back to me what I left 40 years ago. I gave up surfing because of knee problems. After wakesurfing i decided to try surfing again. I love the whole ocean thing and try to get out as often as possible. I don't like the crowd and local's thing. Wasn't that way 40 years ago. Jerry and I both go back to the roots of the surfing boom in California. When I left the sport there were no short boards. Wakesurfing on a 5'3" board doesn't transition to a 10'2" longboard very well. I started surfing on a 5'10" Shredstixx as well, wasn't really big enough for me, but got the desire flowing again. My kids still ride that board and love it. I am grateful to Jerry for all that he has done for the sport. Doesn't really matter if he lives in Discovery Bay or on a beach in Costa Rica. In fact as long as he continues to promote the sport I would love to see him living on that beach. I would miss competing against him in the Master's Division though. Can I come visit you on the beach in Cosat Rica sometime?
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-20-2007, 5:33 PM Reply   
i never realy liked the term "extreme" for our sport, now that the networks have put our sport in the "action" sport catagory, i feel like a little tiny sports action figure and dislike it even more. most people do not know what wakesurfing is, along with most of the surfers, if the name were changed for the mainstream population, it would probably become "boat surfing", which is much more descriptive and the average joe would understand the sport better, but would you like to be called a boat surfer? maybe we should embrace wakesurfing and then when they can produce a 10 ft. wave we could call it extremewakesurfing!